New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

wave freak, can i use internet for vr directly plugged in the router or modem and without wifi?

oculuslover8383oculuslover8383 Posts: 11
NerveGear
Hi 
i am radiofrequencies freack ed out.  i would use the quest with a wire connected to internet is that possible? 
i have a 12 years old pc so my pc can not i beleive do the computing part.

Comments

• Chef918Chef918 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    The quest doesn't have an ethernet port, so i don't think it's possible 
  • enigma01enigma01 Posts: 802
    3Jane
    Doesn't even have an ethernet controller let alone a port. 
  • KamotsusenKamotsusen Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    edited June 27
    Hmmmmm... 

Not sure if this will work (I have not tried this, nor am I planning to try it)

But technically the Oculus Quest runs android 7.1.1 and should support NIC over USB. (support for NIC over USB was introduced in Android 6)

So in theory it could support a OTG cable with a USB NIC adapter.

I don't think anyone has tried this, and there is a very large possibility it will not work. This falls flat if the Oculus Quest devs disabled the NIC capability and/or the OTG capability in the Android kernel. (or simply removed/excluded this function from the firmware)

But imho it is the only option you could try if you want to ditch wifi.
  • StrongitStrongit Posts: 70
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 28
    Hmmmmm... 

Not sure if this will work (I have not tried this, nor am I planning to try it)

But technically the Oculus Quest runs android 7.1.1 and should support NIC over USB. (support for NIC over USB was introduced in Android 6)

So in theory it could support a OTG cable with a USB NIC adapter.

I don't think anyone has tried this, and there is a very large possibility it will not work. This falls flat if the Oculus Quest devs disabled the NIC capability and/or the OTG capability in the Android kernel. (or simply removed/excluded this function from the firmware)

But imho it is the only option you could try if you want to ditch wifi.
    I can confirm that some portion of OTG capability still exists.  I plugged in a wireless keyboard and mouse set through some dongles and they worked fine but I haven't tried an ethernet adapter.  I can try digging one up.

EDIT: I tried two different ethernet adapters including one that I know works with other android devices and they didn't seem to work.  The headset definitely recognized something was being plugged in, it played connect and disconnect sounds every time.