New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Missed Opportunity - MINECRAFT Quest

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,212 Valuable Player
edited June 27 in General

While there had been many rumors back before Carmack's move to a "occasional consultancy role" about a version of  MINECRAFT on either Go or Quest, many attempted to dismiss this - now we see there was actually a project:

Oculus’ John Carmack Got ‘Minecraft’ Working on Quest, But the Project Was Abandoned

https://www.roadtovr.com/minecraft-oculus-quest-carmack/

The question must be, what reasons could have blocked management from backing their leading CTO's amazing effort?

Speculation on what some possibilities could have been:

1. Continued Fallout of Microsoft Partnership
No matter the claims to the contrary, the close nature of MS and Oculus have never really seemed the same since previous deals - some internal claims state that while some peripheral software projects are still active, serious partnerships have been nixed.

2. Ownership of Ecosystem
There does seem to be a propensity internally to only focus on properties and games that are 100% owned by Facebook to receive special support - or the acquisition of the offending game studio to ensure control.

3. Oculus Texas on the Naughty Step
Before Carmack’s departure there was a atmosphere from the Californian head office that Oculus' Texas office was not really a key component of the operation - having been closely aligned with Samsung GearVR work and also working on side projects (working their ticket till the departure of their head).

Obviously these are speculations, and would be interested to hear other opinions - though I must request we stay on topic, and avoid derailing OP.

urdgfqqehbbb.png
** Second New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,299 Valuable Player
    Meh.  It's Minecraft.  It may be a popular game but it's a STUPID popular game.

Leave it in history as it should be.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,526 Valuable Player
    Was thinking that we need another thread, like: "Missed Opportunity - Netflix Rift" ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,406 Valuable Player
    Luckily, Quest users can still play Minecraft in VR Today, since it's available in VR both on Oculus Home and SteamVR. Quest users will simply have to use either the Link or Virtual Desktop to do it, but the opportunity is alive and well.

Digikid1 said:
    Meh.  It's Minecraft.  It may be a popular game but it's a STUPID popular game.

href="
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane