New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Leaky alkaline batteries

Barclay3200Barclay3200 Posts: 3
NerveGear
Yep,  I discovered a battery leaked inside my one of my control devices.
I got most of it out, but there remains a little. 
Has anyone opened one of these controllers and do they go back together nicely or do they put up a fight?

I really should get the rest of that leak out. It can damage electrical contacts.

Comments

• Barclay3200Barclay3200 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    BTW,...  I am asking if anyone knows how to open the oculus touch controller.

so I might clean out the leak.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,255 Valuable Player
    You may not need to take it apart.  Just try cleaning up the battery bar an its connectors with some baking soda paste (little water) and a cotton swab.  Here's a quick guide for the Go but should be same for touch controllers.

https://www.androidcentral.com/oculus-go-repair-guide-collection-solutions

If you feel you need to clean further inside google Oculus controller teardown for info like this;

https://medium.com/badvr/oculus-quest-rift-s-touch-controller-teardown-f551933cbb0c

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 862
    Trinity
    edited June 27
    https://medium.com/badvr/oculus-quest-rift-s-touch-controller-teardown-f551933cbb0c

careful

for fun see some 1 act dangerously with their quest:

• Barclay3200Barclay3200 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    OK, so I cleaned up the battery leak with  damp q-tips and paper towel yesterday. It was a fresh leak, it had not dried, it was easy to get the battery compartment cleaned out. BUT I SUSPECTED BATTERY LEAK WENT FURTHER INTO THE DEVICE. I made an attempt to open the device and clean it but I had no idea how. 
    I later found out there were 2 screws under the battery label, but they are really small torx screws and I have no drivers small enough to fit them. Anyhow...
    I was able to play 2 hours or so of half life Alyx early today. I took a long break and tried to resume a few hours after.
    The left controller no longer works.  The white LED flashes when I put a battery in, but that is all. I even tried the battery from the right controller, which still works.  NADA.
    The headset says the left controller can not be found. Even after powering down and rebooting.

The battery that went in mine were energizer with best before date of 2028.
    LEAKY ALKALINE BATTERIES CAN DESTROY YOUR ELECTRONICS. 
    I would recommend removing alkaline batteries after play time and never to leave them in any device!

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,255 Valuable Player
    Ya, and don't use cheap batteries as well.  Many so-called Alkaline are junk.  Better to use good rechargeable ones like Eneloop AA 1900mahr imho.  These actually last longer than most alkaline and can be recharged many times (~500-1000) over.  Plus they do not leak, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).