New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook's VR Glasses have been revealed

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,429 Valuable Player
edited June 29 in General
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Comments

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    Really clever stuff but they haven't delivered the last promise of half Dome yet.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,429 Valuable Player
    Technically, they never promised half dome. That was just leaked info.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,472 Volunteer Moderator
    At the moment those glasses need a fibre optic cable to pipe in the light and everything else is external. They have a max fov of 92 x 69 degrees. They are green only (the other prototypes have colour).
    Very cool though.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,227 Valuable Player
    edited June 29

[Media coverage says] Facebook's VR Glasses have been revealed !!!!

When in reality, what has actually been revealed is:

- A four month old prototype concept

- Only for research purposes

- Only displays in green

- Has no tracking

- No onboard processing

- At least three years away from productization

If that is not the best example of a clickbait [fake] news story! The media are just jumping at this, and my forum feeds are filling with the same posts!!

What next, HalfDome is new Rift?
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 29
    Facebook is presenting it for the first time to the public, so the term "revealed" is quite apt. 

When it comes to finding a VR tracking solution, now that we have software-based tracking which is assisting with blind spots on the Quest and Rift-S, it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine a similar solution to aid these types of glasses. I've seen the patents around improving Tracking in all sorts of ways, so much of this is very realistic.
    So... so... the Rift S AND the Quest are dead.

Exactly! I plan to use this tagline in response to the next year of "Rift is dead" and "PCVR is dead" postings 
     o:) 
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 29
    Zenbane said:

Exactly! I plan to use this tagline in response to the next year of "Rift is dead" and "PCVR is dead" postings 
     o:) 

Not quite as snappy as "Apple is doomed!" but in the same vein.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 871
    Trinity
    edited June 29
    they look like Roy Orbison glasses.

i  wanna c. all the green. let me see.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,633 Valuable Player
    edited June 29
    That's pretty impressive. :o
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,659 Valuable Player
    edited June 29
    Really clever stuff but they haven't delivered the last promise of half Dome yet.
    I think they are only on Half Dome 4 so cut them some slack.
     ;) 
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited June 29

When Facebook releases no news:
    "Facebook is killing my VR"

When Facebook releases research news:
    "Facebook prototypes are killing my VR"

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,127 Valuable Player
    edited June 29
    Fuck this forum quoting.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,127 Valuable Player
    Right I'll try again totally losing my composure for this post but here goes.

*In annoyingly squeaky high pitched munchkin voices. Don't you mean...

"Ding-dong, the Rift is dead! Which old Rift? The wicked Rift
    Ding-dong, the wicked Rift is deaaaaaad.

Ding-dong, the Quest is dead! Which old Quest? The wicked Quest
    Ding-dong, the wicked Quest is deaaaaaad."

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Zenbane said:
    Officially Leaked at the last few Oculus Connect events ? :)
    edited June 30
    Zenbane said:

Sorry. What I mean is, these were never portrayed as a Consumer Product. The Half-Dome info has always been presented as prototypes that they are using to research future headsets.

These are experimental headsets, where the end-result is one or more of their breakthroughs potentially ending up in a future Oculus Consumer headset (e.g. Rift, Quest).

If you check their 2019 blog on Half-Dome, there are zero references to any releases:
    https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-for-work/

This is how they end it:
    "While we’re still developing the Half Dome series of prototypes at FRL, we’re excited to see where our varifocal research takes us next."

Half-Dome is all about researching future innovations, and Oculus only presents the progress of said research. I called this "leaked info" as my lazy ass way of referring to the fact that Half-Dome is only a prototype that gives us data to discuss.
    Agreed @Luciferous - this is not a new piece of internal information - but it has been wrapped in a new visage using the hurried image of the research candidate. 

I wanted to share an observation made on one of the closed Oculus Dev forums:

.... as with the above, the timing is just too pat for me. This is like the market backlash on abandoning GO was unexpected, (people who brought the system in lockdown unhappy with being dumped), and the marketing-image needed to be changed for a better look. So jump on the AR bandwagon and show a research concept that has been doing the rounds internally at Facebook before lockdown. I just hope this is not a Facebook Magic Leap moment! ....

I have to agree that the timing and the structure of this reveal - fundamentally showing a research bench design that has no chance of ever seeing the light of day in the near term is more smoke, than it is mirrors! That said - as with the research on Half Dome, I hope a actual product can benefit from some of this work...eventually.
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited June 30
    Everyone's bored of being tantalized with half dome for two years and not delivering any of it and so Oculus needs a new fantasy to show us. Whoopty do Basil.

I am thinking of going through their trash for their old prototypes :)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,813 Volunteer Moderator
    Whether in a public or private scenario... I'm always up for a bit of tantalising.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,145 Valuable Player
    edited June 30
    So is this the next Oculus VR headset? If it's not then I'd much prefer to hear more about the Quest 2 and the updated Rift S from Oculus. While it's good to see what Oculus are working on for the future, it would be even better to see some leaked pics and specs for Oculus Quest 2 and Rift S 2, or whatever they want to call it.
    edited June 30
    Whether in a public or private scenario... I'm always up for a bit of tantalising.
    I had you down as a titillation type of guy  :D

edit:
    My current Oculus stance

Everyone's bored of being tantalized with half dome for two years and not delivering any of it 

I believe that inside-out tracking using software-based tracking to assist and controller-less tracking began in half-dome. If I'm not mistaken.

They haven't delivered on some of the bigger features yet, but again, it was always presented as research with possibilities anyway. I wouldn't say that they didn't deliver "any of it."

There are some rumors that we may finally see Half-Dome make it as a consumer product upon the release of Facebook Horizons. 
    Just my luck for them to introduce the one thing I didn't want, convenience over accuracy.

Lets hope you are right, my CV1 is falling apart.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,633 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Zenbane said:

Sorry. What I mean is, these were never portrayed as a Consumer Product. The Half-Dome info has always been presented as prototypes that they are using to research future headsets.

These are experimental headsets, where the end-result is one or more of their breakthroughs potentially ending up in a future Oculus Consumer headset (e.g. Rift, Quest).

If you check their 2019 blog on Half-Dome, there are zero references to any releases:
    https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-for-work/

This is how they end it:
    "While we’re still developing the Half Dome series of prototypes at FRL, we’re excited to see where our varifocal research takes us next."

Half-Dome is all about researching future innovations, and Oculus only presents the progress of said research. I called this "leaked info" as my lazy ass way of referring to the fact that Half-Dome is only a prototype that gives us data to discuss.

Whilst it hasn't been portrayed by Oculus as a final Consumer Product, it does have ALL of the features of Abrash's ideal headset.

I think it would be pretty likely that we'll see this thing being released sometime during the next few years as a final Commercial Product. 😁
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited June 30
    dburne said:
    I think they are only on Half Dome 4 so cut them some slack.

When dealing with prototypes, no slack is needed. That's not how prototypes work. It's also not how cutting slack works lol
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prototype

Pro tip: It's good to stretch before running, but the stretching part isn't the running part.
    snowdog said:
    Whilst it hasn't been portrayed by Oculus as a final Consumer Product, it does have ALL of the features of Abrash's ideal headset.

I think it would be pretty likely that we'll see this thing being released sometime during the next few years as a final Commercial Product. 😁

Agreed that this falls under Abrash's prediction. But then we also have to take in to account Abrash's timeline; which sits at around 10 years from now.
     :o 
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 871
    Trinity
    edited June 30
    VR only needs focal length adjustment, which to my ears sounds like focusing the stereoscopic pairs to adjust for different focal lengths.

Assuming you have a system that can adjust the stereoscopic pairs using some sort of telescopic mechanism, you have the image to account for too.

Together the stereoscopic image used with correctly telescopic effect stereoscopic viewing mechanism you have the  focal length adjustment system half dome promises.

Such a mechanism isn't even being openly discussed presently afaik. nope, i have been hearing rumors of lightweight eyeglasses for vr and ar though on a 5 year timeline. so in 5 years they say we will have eyeglasses for vr and or ar freely available to the general public. nothing in that psa though about this telescopic mechanism to view the stereoscopic image at varying focal lengths using some viewing mechanism like the rift.

the skin surrounding the eyes are useful to note the focal distance of the eyes. the surround skin being wider = farther, small skin = closer. right now my rift hugs my eyeball skin like my eyebrows and below the eyes like a python hunting rabbits no movement whatsoever its terrifically tight on my head no wiggle whatsoever and it also squeezes down hard, and i expect the rift s 2 at the connect 7 convention to also hug my skin around my eyeballs so the hope of a stereoscopic adjusting mechanism using the skin surrounding the eyes isn't even being designed for.

even assuming you could design such a mechanism and image, the image sent to the display wouldn't make sense because the game has to adjust the pixel spaces on the fly to account for different focal length. It would have to work like unreal blueprint pawns that use the parent child binding, and the eyes focal length = the parent the game = the child, the game has to wait for the eyes and respond when the eyes focal length moves. making the entire game a pawn. unreal units would have to be adjusted moving static meshes and then the characters sizes would also have to adjust, the stuff like equipment would have to adjust,  it would be a nightmare to design for so i don't believe it until i c it being done. when the unreal makes entire games a pawn i will start to believe. 

till then vr with no focal length adjustment is just a fancy toy rich people play with.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,659 Valuable Player
    Wonder what ever happened with Eye Tracking Oculus was supposedly working on. I believe they even purchased an eye tracking company didn't they?
    I see Pimax has it coming in July so they say.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    Wonder what ever happened with Eye Tracking Oculus was supposedly working on. I believe they even purchased an eye tracking company didn't they?
    I see Pimax has it coming in July so they say.

I get the feeling a lot of innovations were being considered and adopted that have turned into dead ends when your focus moves away from high price PCVR and focused on Standalone Quest style systems. The same way the great advancements made on the CV1's audio was thrown away when the Rift-S was released. Lets hope they do not throw the baby out with the bathwater!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **