New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR, then why all the Ports? (News)

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,427 Valuable Player
Recently, the popular stealth game, In Death, was announced as coming to Quest.
https://uploadvr.com/in-death-unchained-quest-july/

Now Onward is making it rounds to the Quest platform:
https://6dofreviews.com/news/onward-is-coming/

Developer Downpour Interactive and publisher Coatsink (we love Coatsink for bringing us the fantastic Shadow Point, one of our highest rated puzzlers on Quest) announced that Onward will be out for Quest on the 30th, and priced at $24.99 RRP.

While the Quest’s graphics obviously can’t match the PCVR version, the screenshots we’ve seen so far are very promising

https://6dofreviews.com/news/onward-is-coming/

Why would developers bother spending their own time and resources to port these over from PCVR to Quest?

This seems to be a big clue, that despite the convenience of using the Quest Link to help expand a Quest user's library:
  • The number of Quest users who would bother investing in a VR Machine is too small to justify avoiding the extra revenue that comes with porting to Quest.
  • PCVR users still enjoy a much better experience with a PCVR headset (e.g. much better graphics and performance)

So if it turns out that by the end of 2020 we still have a Rift line of products in full throttle, this news is amongst the many clues.
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
Tagged:

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,427 Valuable Player
    I suspect that this is simply a measure of how many Quest users have VR-capable PCs

Yes! So this is exactly what I was getting at. I can agree with your lovely arse number of a ration of 1-outta-50 that have a VR capable PC. This ratio would indicate that the impact that Quest has on PCVR directly is incredibly minuscule; thus the revenue stream for a PCVR developer is still high should they actively invest in porting to Quest.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,135 Valuable Player
    edited June 30
    Weren't these games been ported to the Oculus Quest before the link cable was even mentioned? If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would already be both PC-VR and mobile ready.
    RedRizla said:
    Weren't these games been ported to the Oculus Quest before the link cable was even mentioned? If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would already be both PC-VR and mobile ready.

These games have not been ported yet. They are still pending release to Quest. And Quest Link was released last year. So, No, to everything you just said.
    :p
    edited June 30
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

These games have not been ported yet. They are still pending release to Quest. And Quest Link was released last year. So, No, to everything you just said.
    :p

When you said no to every I just said were you also saying no to this? If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would already be both PC-VR and mobile ready.
    Also when was the link cable announced? Because Onward has been getting ported over to Oulus Quest since mid 2019.

RedRizla said:
    If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would already be both PC-VR and mobile ready. 

The Mobile platform and OS are entirely different from the OS (e.g. Windows) running on a PC. Are you suggesting that developers are going to only build mobile apps and never build PC apps again?

RedRizla said:
    Also when was the link cable announced? Because Onward has been getting ported over to Oulus Quest since mid 2019.

Oculus Quest was announced around Aug/Sep I think. If you do the math, mid-2019 was a year ago. the Onward dev's could have avoided a year-long effort, saved time and resources and just waited for the release of Link.

Why do you think they didn't? Also, why do you think that the In Death developers went through with their own port to Quest?
    edited June 30
    The Mobile platform and OS are entirely different from the OS (e.g. Windows) running on a PC. Are you suggesting that developers are going to only build mobile apps and never build PC apps again?

I have no idea what Oculus are going to do. You can already play top notch PC -VR games using Oculus Quest and link according to some people on this forum. I haven't tried the Oculus Quest myself though to see how well it works.

You posted asking the question "If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR then why all the ports". I just gave you what I thought could be a reason, but off-course I have no idea what Oculus are planning to do, nobody does until they announce something.

edited June 30
    RedRizla said:
    I have no idea what Oculus are going to do. You can already play top notch PC -VR games using Oculus Quest and link according to some people on this forum. I haven't tried the Oculus Quest myself though to see how well it works.

The PCVR games are top notch, the performance and visuals on Quest are... top arse :p

I've tried it, and would never do it again. Others who have talked about it on this forum haven't over-sold Quest's abilities to run PCVR. I can only think of one poster who pretends Quest is as good as Rift. But that seems intentional hyperbole.

You posted asking the question "If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR then why all the ports". I just gave you what I thought could be a reason

You tried saying that the Onward dev's worked on this last year, but that doesn't really answer the question at all since Link was released last year. The Onward dev's could have stopped to save time and money. And you didn't answer my question about the In Death developers.

What if another PCVR developer starts the process of porting their games to Quest right this very minute. Today. Why do you think they would do that?

edited June 30
    What if another PCVR developer starts the process of porting their games to Quest right this very minute. Today. Why do you think they would do that?

So that it appeals to a larger amount of people rather then just have it on PC -VR. Some multiplayer games would also benefit from this because once a multiplayer game dries up, then people are less inclined to buy the game. Which recent PC -VR games are currently being ported to Oculus Quest?

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,648 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

You posted asking the question "If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR then why all the ports". I just gave you what I thought could be a reason, but off-course I have no idea what Oculus are planning to do, nobody does until they announce something.

Quest with Link with a good connection  and decent PC does run quite well.
    And yes I have several hours trying out my Quest with the official Oculus Link cable. I prefer my Rift S due to comfort and for me it is the best experience , but have no problem using Quest with Link. I have done DCS, IL-2 Great Battles, Asgard's Wrath, and all three episodes of Vader Immortal on Quest with Link along with some other experiences. All performed quite well and looked great.

Others that do the above two flight sims have gone with Quest with Link initially and are quite happy with the experience they are getting. These are quite demanding games. 

Obviously I have no problem being critical of Oculus for things I wish they had done differently, but I will say Quest with Link they did a great job with, especially as it is still so early on in development.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited June 30
    Zenbane said:
    RedRizla said:

The PCVR games are top notch, the performance and visuals on Quest are... top arse :p

I've tried it, and would never do it again. Others who have talked about it on this forum haven't over-sold Quest's abilities to run PCVR. I can only think of one poster who pretends Quest is as good as Rift. But that seems intentional hyperbole.
    Perhaps you should post for help in the Quest forum on using Link. I am sure there would be others that could offer assistance.
    I can easily see where some might think this, that perhaps just did not get things set up quite properly to run Quest with Link. But I also can see where some just might not be able to get it, perhaps due to their rig, conflicts with their system, poor choice of cable, etc etc.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited June 30
    dburne said:
    Perhaps you should post for help in the Quest forum on using Link. I am sure there would be others that could offer assistance.

It's really easy, and lacks in quality compared to Rift. Nobody needs help seeing this fact, just a pair of eyes.

But I also can see where some just might not be able to get it, perhaps due to their rig, conflicts with their system, poor choice of cable, etc etc.

My rig can run Lone Echo very well, and Quest doesn't push the boundaries at all graphically. Also, Quest can be used for PCVR via Virtual Desktop as well. The outcome is the same. If you haven't tried that yet - which it seems you haven't since you only talk about Link - then... post for help on the Quest forum.

Between  YouTube, reddit, FB VR Groups, and this forum... you might literally be the only person pretending that Quest runs PCVR as good as a PCVR HMD.
     :D 

Obviously I have no problem being critical of Oculus for things I wish they had done differently,

Being critical is one thing, and I wholeheartedly support playing Devil's Advocate. It's totally my fav. But outright denying facts and actions is something else entirely. A good critic has to actually acknowledge reality first.
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:

It's really easy, and lacks in quality compared to Rift. Nobody needs help seeing this fact, just a pair of eyes.

But I also can see where some just might not be able to get it, perhaps due to their rig, conflicts with their system, poor choice of cable, etc etc.

My rig can run Lone Echo very well, and Quest doesn't push the boundaries at all graphically. Also, Quest can be used for PCVR via Virtual Desktop as well. The outcome is the same. If you haven't tried that yet - which it seems you haven't since you only talk about Link - then... post for help on the Quest forum.

Between  YouTube, reddit, FB VR Groups, and this forum... you might literally be the only person pretending that Quest runs PCVR as good as a PCVR HMD.
    You might be one of the only people that can't see how good Quest with Link does.
    That is ok though, not everyone can get it right.

Here is a clue for you - just like Rift and Rift S and Quest, if you go by the posts on the forum you would think no one ever has an acceptable experience. The folks that have them running well and enjoy them, well the majority don't spend much time posting about it on the forums. 
    I would think you have spent enough time on forums, even just this one alone, to realize that.

Why should I post for help with Virtual Desktop? It is not in my interest.
    As far as Quest with LInk - suggest you get your eyes checked. Graphically it is very good.
    But hey if you can't get it you can't get it...

Don

dburne said:
    You might be one of the only people that can't see how good Quest with Link does.

It's good for what it does, but it isn't good enough to replace PCVR. There's a big difference.

You're riding around town in a scooter and telling sports car drivers that your ride is just as good because your scooter plays sports car videos. Cute.

Here is a clue for you 

You still need to process the biggest clue that developers are sending you. PCVR titles are being actively ported to Quest instead of relying on Link, because running Link is total arse when there are better options, such as running it native or using a PCVR headset.

It's not even much of a clue, just a literal observation. Much like the suns rays are clues that the sun is hot.

As far as Quest with LInk - suggest you get your eyes checked. 

My eyes allowed me to read a statement where Oculus said they are doubling down on the Rift, and when your eyes read it... you said the words didn't exist. Considering how your eyes are working, you may need your head checked lol
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:

It's good for what it does, but it isn't good enough to replace PCVR. There's a big difference.

You're riding around town in a scooter and telling sports car drivers that your ride is just as good because your scooter plays sports car videos. Cute.

Here is a clue for you 

You still need to process the biggest clue that developers are sending you. PCVR titles are being actively ported to Quest instead of relying on Link, because running Link is total arse when there are better options, such as running it native or using a PCVR headset.

It's not even much of a clue, just a literal observation. Much like the suns rays are clues that the sun is hot.

As far as Quest with LInk - suggest you get your eyes checked. 

My eyes allowed me to read a statement where Oculus said they are doubling down on the Rift, and when your eyes read it... you said the words didn't exist. Considering how your eyes are working, you may need your head checked lol

ROTFLMAO.
    You are just too dang funny.

You do recall Oculus stating before the pandemic hit how surprised they are with the boost of sales of Quest after Link was introduced. Hell they had trouble filling all the pre-orders of the Oculus Link cable, and then keeping them in stock.

Don

dburne said:
    You do recall Oculus stating before the pandemic hit how surprised they are with the boost of sales of Quest after Link was introduced. Hell they had trouble filling all the pre-orders of the Oculus Link cable, and then keeping them in stock.

So you read that, but still can't read where Oculus said they are doubling down in the Rift?
    ROTFLMAO.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,124 Valuable Player
    I think you already summed up the main reason. The profits margins are better porting to the Quest. I didn't see anyone mention the portability/wirefree aspect of the Quest version though. That must be quite a big selling-point. At least devs don't have to completely start from scratch porting their games over so it makes perfect sense to invest time and energy into the platform. There's also the chance these versions will also work with any future Quest hardware revisions as well.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:

So you read that, but still can't read where Oculus said they are doubling down in the Rift?
    ROTFLMAO.
    Suggest you read it again. Make it easy on yourself.
    Highlight the words Rift S and Quest.
    Once done, take a glance at the text overall and see if you can figure out where the emphasis is.
    Now compare that in the same way with the last few Oculus software release notes. This is where the rubber meets the road, in what they actually do.

Don

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,261 Valuable Player
    Sorry Don but I gotta disagree with you (probably 1st time ever) about the quality of PCVR with Quest/Link.  I have spent a fair amount of time (thanks to c.virus lockdowns) fine tuning my Link setup and there is no way that my results come close to my good old Rift cv1 with 2.0 super sampling.  This is with a pretty beefy desktop PC (see my sig), the official Link cable, and a separate pcie 3.1gen2 card. 

Given the Quest's current limits of 150mbps that it must decode it does remarkably well but there is no way it can compete with 10x the mbps of DP and Hdmi with dedicated PCVR headsets that do not require compression/decoding. This becomes even more obvious with more complex flight sims like X Plane 11 and racing sims like Assetto Corsa.  I think Carmack mentioned last year (Sept/Oct?) that he believed that he could increase the data transfer rates of Link but that this was not going to happen overnight.  Maybe one day though.  But for now my expensive Link cable will just be collecting dust.  

I have also spent a fair amount of time fine tuning my Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop and I've found in many cases this works better than Link.  Thanks to a pretty good internet setup (gigabit router wired to my PC w/Ethernet cable, and very good adjacent 5Ghz wifi) my latency is not much higher than Link (approx 30ms vs 20ms).  Like link, it still does not handle complex flight/racing sims very well but for most PCVR games it does very well.  Google Earth, Lone Echo, and HLA work well and it's nice to be able play these wirelessly.  So, the only PCVR my Quest is going to see for the foreseeable future is wireless with VD.  Of course the Quest does a very good job with mobile VR and it's often a lot more convenient to be able to fire it up and run it standalone.  I actually still prefer my Go for media because it is much more comfortable.

So, my view probably aligns a little closer to Zen right now.  The main market for Quest is mobile VR and given the large numbers sold, it's pretty obvious to me that developers will increasingly develop/port games for it.  Hopefully many of these will be cross-buy, lol!  No way I see it replacing the Rift for PCVR in the near future (2021-2022).

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

I have no problem with disagreements on individual performances.
    Much like with even just a regular PC-VR headset, the actual experience can be different for different folks.
    I can only say on my end with my system and Quest hooked up via Link, the experience is very good with the games I have tried out on it. It can run both DCS and IL-2 at acceptable levels for me, and can for some others also over on their forums. But there are some also that I am sure would not be happy with it.

If something happened to my Rift S I would have no problem filling in with the Quest with Link for my games until I got something else. But I would get something else for them.
    Don

• AlienokAlienok Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Good question
    dburne said:

That is literally not how reading is done. LMAO
    I suggest you try reading again. Reading in general. Stop counting words. That's not reading at all.

take a glance at the text overall and see if you can figure out where the emphasis is.

That is not how "emphasis" works either. The word count (which is not equal to emphasis), is related to "fixes," which is information gathered from reading, not counting. Try again; stop making it harder on yourself.

Yeah I think you hit the two key areas that address the technical limitations of Quest using Link. From the PC's supersampling abilities, to this gem:
    Given the Quest's current limits of 150mbps that it must decode it does remarkably well but there is no way it can compete with 10x the mbps of DP and Hdmi with dedicated PCVR headsets that do not require compression/decoding.

Precisely. There's no way to get around the mps difference, which is drastic.

Comparing Quest to any PCVR HMD (Index, Reverb, etc) doesn't work like comparing "art," where everything is subjective. This is literal math where we can't say that the Moon's glow is just as warming as the Sun because we simply "feel that way."

If someone feels that Quest with Link is "good enough," then of course that's okay too. I mean hell, I haven't upgraded my Rift CV1 to any of the latest PCVR HMD's because for now, my CV1 is "good enough." But I also wouldn't jump the shark and pretend that my CV1 is visually just as good as an HP Reverb.

By the same token, people shouldn't jump the shark and claim the Quest is as good on PCVR as any of the current mainstream PCVR HMD's. And then to compound that error by saying it's so good that it will replace PCVR HMD's? Yeah, and the Rift CV1 is going to cause the Valve Index to go bankrupt too lol

The other key area you address is in regards to using Virtual Desktop instead of Link. Tethering Quest to the PC removes its main advantage (wireless VR) while offering a downgraded PCVR experience. Using Virtual Desktop gives access to PCVR while keeping Quest's key advantage (wireless) at the forefront.

More importantly, Virtual Desktop is completely independent of Facebook and Oculus; so extending Quest to PCVR would have happened anyway, regardless of Link.

Here's a review from the Oculus Store on Virtual Desktop compared to Link:
    Works better than Link (when up)

I got my Quest, and proceeded to get SteamVR running on the Link cable. Besides the annoyance of a cable, in The Labs I couldn't throw the stick to the robot dog properly. It just didn't go more than a meter, and it didn't feel right. My daughter pressed on me that throwing the stick to the dog was a crucial feature.

Based on the reviews for Virtual Desktop, I thought "what the heck" and gave it a try. Best decision. I had it up and running in 10 minutes, and besides not having a cable around my ankles, it was buttery smooth, and throwing worked so much better.

I love my Quest, but I have always seen it as more of an Enterprise VR HMD. It's the main reason I bought it, since I'm developing VR Apps for business. And now that Oculus is offering Enterprises licensing for Quest, the future of Business VR Apps is even brighter. For Enterprise VR, using VIrtual Desktop will be the most efficient path forward. Having a room full of people trying to connect their Quest to their PC with a cable is... derp lmao.
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:

That is literally not how reading is done. LMAO
    I suggest you try reading again. Reading in general. Stop counting words. That's not reading at all.

take a glance at the text overall and see if you can figure out where the emphasis is.

That is not how "emphasis" works either. The word count (which is not equal to emphasis), is related to "fixes," which is information gathered from reading, not counting. Try again; stop making it harder on yourself.

ROTFLMAO sorry no.
    But hey you keep on believin man... good for you.

Don

dburne said:
    ROTFLMAO sorry no.

ROTFLMAO yes, Quest's updates are around stability, fixes, and bringing it up to speed with the Rift which is still years ahead as a stable device and platform. As shown on the review I just posted, users are talking about Virtual Desktop as being superior to Quest with Link. Oculus is fixing that, and other issues.

But hey you keep on highlighting words, counting them, and then convince yourself that you're reading. Good for you.
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:
    ROTFLMAO sorry no.

ROTFLMAO yes, Quest's updates are around stability, fixes, and bringing it up to speed with the Rift which is still years ahead as a stable device and platform. As shown on the review I just posted, users are talking about Virtual Desktop as being superior to Quest with Link. Oculus is fixing that, and other issues.

But hey you keep on highlighting words, counting them, and then convince yourself that you're reading. Good for you.
    ROTFLMAO!
    Oh pleaaasee stop it, my gut can't take any more LOL!!

You keep on reading them update notes and tellin yourself, oh yeah this is great for Rift LOL.
    Bwahahah!
    Don

edited July 1
    dburne said:
    ROTFLMAO!

You keep on reading them update notes and tellin yourself, oh yeah this is great for Rift LOL.
    Bwahahah!

It's really odd how you are typing laughter so much and expecting people to believe that you are anything but upset. This isn't 1995 where fake-laughing on the Internet was convincing.

Tom just gave a brilliant post that explains exactly why Quest's visuals are less than that of Rift or any other PCVR HMD. You had nothing to counter that whatsoever, despite you spending some 3 days arguing the opposite with me.

And that was after you spent 2 days denying that Oculus said they are doubling down on the Rift even though the words are printed clear as day on Oculus' blog.

Here you are again arguing that you can't see all the Quest updates around fixes and stability.

It's pretty clear that you aren't typing anything that deals with the reality of what's actually taking place; but instead you're more determined to just say anything and everything you can to try to one-up my last post. You must realize how ineffective this tactic of yours is; all of your "LOL's" and "haha's" are a dead give-away.

But yeah, keep tellin yourself that your LOL's are convincing.
    ;)
    edited July 1
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:
    ROTFLMAO!

Bwahahah!

Drivel snipped...
    Perhaps Oculus will double down on V 19  for Rift hmmm?
    Don

dburne said:

Drivel snipped...
    Perhaps your next post will have more emoji's to accompany your LOL's?
    Zenbane said:
    dburne said:

Drivel snipped...
    Perhaps your next post will have more emoji's to accompany your LOL's?
    Perhaps you might learn something from Tom since you said you read his, and how he responded versus you.
    No matter how much you want to argue, I get a good experience with Quest with Link on even some of most demanding games. Still prefer Rift S as I stated, but Quest with Link ain't bad for me.
    Don