New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S touch controllers flickering again

AMacdonaldAMacdonald Posts: 8
Brain Burst
For a day or two now, presumably since the latest update, my touch controllers have started flickering in-game, but not all the time. The Oculus menu is fine but as soon as Home loads, one or other of the touch controllers will start flickering and vibrating at a fairly constant rate. It usually seems to be the right controller but it sometimes switches to the left one. I haven't been able to work out what provokes it to switch over. When it flickers, the background is visible through the controller. I've tried new batteries and tried removing them for a few minutes. When I had this problem a couple of months ago I fixed it by opting into the beta channel but I guess the poor code has caught up with me. Opting in and out of the beta channel makes no difference, nor does a full uninstall/reinstall. Again, the oculus menu is fine and the hands are visible. It's only when Home (or almost any game - Google Earth VR is fine for some reason) loads that the problems become apparent.

I see I'm not totally alone but has anyone identified a solution?

Comments

• RoytrixRoytrix Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 1
    I have exactly the same issue since last update of the oculus software as soon as i get out of the oculus menu the controllers flick for a fraction of second like it is out of bound and come back to is real location after. in steamvr when you use the paint gun it paint infinite line to the bottom center of the play area. i tried the basic kinda magic repair guide that everyone does and this time nothing is working need help!
  • CrqistCrqist Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    edited July 1
    Yep having the same issue here, Constant flickering since the new 18.0 Update : / Hopefully someone finds a fix or they roll out a patch for it
  • LavaMonkeyLavaMonkey Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    It's so bad for me I can't play any game at all, and I messed up everything in my Oculus home! :(
  • legendlcoxlegendlcox Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited July 1
    Since the update to version 19 I have this same issue, can't play games because of it. I've recorded an example of what happens see :  youtu.be/IckPU2pS0Es
  • C463C463 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same here, I can't play anything while it's like this!
  • KainetKainet Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    That's exactly what is happening to me. I'm waiting for the fix
  • AlexNewmanUKAlexNewmanUK Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    This has happened to me too, just got a new Startek card to get rid of issues with blackscreen and now one of the hands is flickering and not tracking correctly, switches hands, one hand will always work ok and the other flickers. Works 100% perfect in the home screen. WTF! I'm so fed up with this piece of junk I wish I never bought it now.
  • dcole001dcole001 Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    Just Posted same question. It is something in the Oculus Home that is causing issue.. 
  • storuanpdstoruanpd Posts: 16
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2
    I am also getting this too! I tried almost everything. Should I try to clear the Oculus cache or re-install Oculus?
  • evilspoons983evilspoons983 Posts: 5
    Brain Burst

Oculus version 18 was broken in PTC exactly the same way like two weeks ago, they didn't fix it when it went to the main release channel.

Version 17 worked fine. I don't know how to downgrade though. Version 19 in PTC currently does not have a fix for whatever this issue is either.

It's not related to SteamVR, you can get it to do this in Oculus Home. Just load up your home and try to pick up something, it'll get flung off into the abyss or randomly start spinning or some other fun stupid thing.

Brain Burst
    It feels like I am going to get a seizure... If I keep my hands out of view, it's not too bad, but playing a game like Orbus, you just cannot do that. Whatever it is, it is horrible. I will try to open up an official ticket with Oculus and see where it get's.

• ColGrayColGray Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Glad Im not alone in this weird issue. Have the same experience since the update and am looking forward to a solution being posted.
  • TheKnightsRavenTheKnightsRaven Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I just got my Rift S on the 30th barely two days and this update comes in and makes it unusable. It flickers between both controllers but rarely happens to both at the same time. Just hoping someone figures out how to fix it or Oculus is working on a patch to fix the issue.
  • ageofwar666ageofwar666 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    I'm also having the controller glitch issue with a Oculus Rift s and due to the way the installer work there is no way to go back to v17
  • roc_dawgroc_dawg Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    It seems a bit ridiculous that this was not found in "Dev testing".  This seems like a very straight forward bug that should have been found out before release.  I completely understand the ideal of fail fast mythology on rapid design but this bug impacts the functionality of the device without a work around and before I start getting hammered on this comment from reading many other topics it seems this is not the exception but the norm.  Plus they also dropped the "GO".  How can they drop products and continue to fail releases.  Very disappointed!!! 
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2
    haha I wonder if it was on purpose due to Steam Summer days sale.. to keep buying through oculus vs steam.. :) starting a conspiracy theory 

Brain Burst
    edited July 2
    I submitted a ticket, I highly recommend  you all do it also, it's probably the only way they know it's an issue for many people. I have a feeling they might not read this forum too often..
  • CrqistCrqist Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    Yea i submitted one 2 hours ago
  • KainetKainet Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am still waiting for at least someone from Oculus to tell us that they are working on it. But nobody has written anything

Brain Burst
    I submitted a ticket yesterday and still no response.  Kind of stinks too that it's a holiday weekend and I had time to really play half-Life.. Booo Hooo.. damn it man.. 
    Brain Burst
    They wrote back to me asking a bunch of silly questions. I gave them everything. Let's see..

Brain Burst
    storuanpd.. when did you submit a ticket?  Just wondering on what their turnaround is like.
  • bigdaddy_36bigdaddy_36 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I wrote a support ticket and provided feedback from the Oculus app. Haven't heard anything yet. It would be great if they would just rollback to v17 until they find the issue and fix v18. This is not good to have a $400 paperweight. But you can also submit feedback from the Oculus app. Click on Help Center and Submit feedback. 
    Brain Burst
    @roc_dawg, I submitted one at about 7pm EST tonight.
    @bigdaddy_36, hopefully they do soon and fix this once and for all.

• icecold951icecold951 Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    Last time, i fixed it by totally removing the software, then reinstalling. This time, that won't work. In what world do you roll out broken software as an update? I will not be buying anything from the oculus store at this point. They are beyond ridiculous with their attitudes about quality control.
    As some have said, their testers reported this issue, and they ignored it and rolled it out. And one would think a quick backtrack would be the immediate response when getting a ton of these reports. Do they think this will help them get sales?
  • ageofwar666ageofwar666 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    roc_dawg said:
    haha I wonder if it was on purpose due to Steam Summer days sale.. to keep buying through oculus vs steam.. :) starting a conspiracy theory 

The reason I buy my games on steam instead of Oculus is in case I need to switch to another manufacturer of HMD, I'm not locked down to Oculus and all my games are in the same place.

I don't know if the devs check Twitter but I have posted the issue there, they say they are working on it twitter.com/ageofwar666/status/1278820250197413890

• PRD_RSDPRD_RSD Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    the same problem
  • j.harv2146j.harv2146 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Having this issue too, and submitted my ticket. Quite frustrating due to the fact that as soon as I pay for a product, and given the price, you'd expect to have everything working just fine right? 
  • LorusLorus Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i have same problem :(