New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will life and society "go back to normal" when the Pandemic is over?

ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,732 Valuable Player
edited July 2 in Off-Topic
Since this pandemic is global, I was curious as to the thoughts of this community on the topic of whether "going back to business as usual" is realistic. It seems to be one of the most common phrases used nowadays; where the general public believes that the end of this Pandemic is just a few weeks or months away, and then life will return to normal.

I'm not one of those people. I'm one of those Joker-esque, "you've changed things, there's no going back" kinda folk.

I believe that the global workforce has already changed, and there will be new types of businesses that naturally flourish over others, even after the pandemic. Remote Work will become mainstream, and going in to an office to sit at a desk or cubicle will be treated as obsolete and antiquated; at least for that Fortune 1000 and similar type organizations.

I believe that virtual events will become preferred over standing in lines and public gatherings; which will continue to impact venues such as movie theaters and concerts.

But, I could be wrong. How about you?
Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

Will life and society "go back to normal" when the Pandemic is over? 16 votes

Yes, eventually things will return to normal and it will be business as usual.
12%
pyroth309RuneSR2 2 votes
No, too much has changed and there's no 100% going back to normal.
43%
RedRizlasnowdogZenbaneCGH001Digikid1SelinthiaFranciscoArturo 7 votes
Yes and No; there will simply be a "new normal" but it won't be much different than what we had before.
43%
Shadowmask72marcelofdezlensmandaveMorgrumTomCgcmfcFemtTheAviator54504 7 votes
I dunno, I just don't wanna catch Covid and die.
0%

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,718 Valuable Player
    Well one thing that's ALREADY changed is that I'm making sure that I'm well stocked on bog roll and cat food and my freezer is continually stocked up :D

I've now got 22 bog rolls and will be getting another 18 tomorrow B)

I'm also going to make sure that I use hand sanitiser regularly when I'm out too, even after a vaccine becomes available for this thing. I'm also toying with the idea of doing what they do in the Far East and wear a mask when I'm out too. May sound a bit paranoid but if something like SARS3 or MERS2 or something similar gets out and about again I'm basically dead if I catch the thing so I think my paranoia is warranted in my case.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 334
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    The Internet Toilet Paper Calculator says I hoarded 392 days worth  :| 
    BTW, according to The History Channel, the Black Plague lasted four years.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,732 Valuable Player
    I've just been using the leaves on my neighbors bushes.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,412 Valuable Player
    Yes and No; there will simply be a "new normal" but it won't be much different than what we had before.
    I’m saying yes/no because I really don’t know, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,387 Valuable Player
    edited July 3
    I wonder how many people have died of a heart attack because they are too scared to go to hospital with this virus about. I also listened to a cancer doctor speaking recently. He spoke about the probability of more deaths from cancer due to it not being diagnosed earlier. I live near a Hospital and I'm used to hearing about 20 plus ambulances a day. During this pandemic I've heard about 3 ambulances pass each day.
    People should not be scared and should ring an ambulance if they need to.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,905 Valuable Player
    edited July 3
    Not a word about politics in here!   o:)

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    wuzp said:
    snowdog said:
    The Internet Toilet Paper Calculator says I hoarded 392 days worth  :| 
    BTW, according to The History Channel, the Black Plague lasted four years.

96 days here once I get those extra 18 rolls. 😁😂
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,950 Valuable Player
    I say over time yes it will go back to normal. May take years though. Nothing has changed for me other than having to stand on a line to check out at stores and such but I'm kind of a hermit. Social distancing has been music to my ears. Please keep my in laws at their own homes thx.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,387 Valuable Player
    edited July 3
    pyroth309 said:
    I say over time yes it will go back to normal. May take years though. Nothing has changed for me other than having to stand on a line to check out at stores and such but I'm kind of a hermit. Social distancing has been music to my ears. Please keep my in laws at their own homes thx.

I'm not looking forward to the pubs opening this weekend. I'm all for having a drink but some people can't take their drink and end up ringing for an ambulance or becoming too loud. I live in the center of town and I have to hear all this. It's been bliss not having to listen to it all, but it starts again tomorrow.
    It's about time the NHS started to charge them for getting in that state and needing an ambulance, they would save a fortune.
    Trinity
    edited July 3
    RedRizla said:
    It's about time the NHS started to charge them for getting in that state and needing an ambulance, they would save a fortune.
    That won't help. We do not have social medicine, and they still go out to bars, and parties.
    Trinity
    edited July 3
    Me bad...  Judgemental social commentary.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,349 Valuable Player
    There is no such thing as "Normal".  Everything is different in one way or the other.

Will it go back to the way it was?  Hell no.  This situation has brought out the worst in a lot of people.....fighting over toilet paper ( TOILET PAPER FFS!!!!!  HOW STUPID CAN YOU GET?!?!?!? ) people yelling at others for no good reason...the mistrust and the anger you feel just by stepping out onto the street is so thick you can cut it with a knife.

It is really awful.

This will take YEARS before it goes even slightly back to the way it was.
    I'm happy to say that Tesco have just started to stock yeast and strong bread flour for my bread machine. I was just on my last bit of yeast which I used to make a loaf last week. Good timing 😁

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,961 Volunteer Moderator
    I think Japan started wearing face masks after the flu pandemic 100 years ago... that would be a good cultural change for the rest of us, wearing a mask if we have cold/flu symptoms to be considerate to others.

Can be less considerate if worn habitually though, to people with hearing loss who rely on lip reading but good if used right.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
    edited July 4
    I think Japan started wearing face masks after the flu pandemic 100 years ago... that would be a good cultural change for the rest of us, wearing a mask if we have cold/flu symptoms to be considerate to others.

Can be less considerate if worn habitually though, to people with hearing loss who rely on lip reading but good if used right.

- and being unable to see if some hot babe smiles at you may reduce reproduction of the species, but it's already starting to be crowded on the planet, maybe masks also win this one  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

It was actually in the 30s that they started doing this, and then they only did that during Flu season, but in the 50s they started wearing them all year round because of smog.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 828
    3Jane
    I was watching a YT documentary on the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918 and it stuck me, in 100 years time future gens will be watching documentaries on the Covid 19 pandemic of 2020, and some will be on forums of the future stating they found old forums posts from 100 years ago from people who were alive during the 2020 pandemic who were watching documentaries on the spanish flu from 1918. :o
    lol

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 830
    Trinity
    We now live in a world with the SARS-CoV2 virus, giving rise to the disease CoVID19.  This is never going to change and we will have to learn to live with it. 

I don't think there will ever be an effective vaccine, best we can hope for is one that works as good as the one we have for influenza (and that is a crap vaccine) and they 'guess' which strain to develop for.

All the lock down has done is slowed the spread until the year 2021, and there is a good reason for that - and it has nothing to do with saving lives.

So no I don't think it will ever be 'business as usual' - and you ain't see nothin yet! - 2021
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 828
    3Jane
    ^^^^Yeah i think this wil be a bit like aids was back in the early 80s, it blow up real quick and it will always be lurking in the back ground waiting to break out again, and the irony is that like the 80s, we once again have to use protection against human to human transmitions of bodily fluids.......things never really change. lol

edited July 6
    The number of infected will rise when you increase the number of persons being tested - testing is very important to track down infected persons, but the number of infected persons may be very misleading. 

I consider the number of Covid-19 associated deaths the most important number - and looking at that number, things are looking ok even in the US:

Looks like the number of daily deaths in the US has decreased from about 2,500 to 200 (maybe 400-500)... 

Even in Italy it looks like very few are dying from Covid-19 at the moment:

- and here in Denmark - no one has died from Covid-19 the last few days:

Seems like it's nearly gone away over here - of course we can't be sure, but Covid-19 is not keeping me worried at night at the moment. Time to enjoy life - and of course doing so without being too careless ;-)

edited July 6
    RuneSR2 said:
    The number of infected will rise when you increase the number of persons being tested - testing is very important to track down infected persons, but the number of infected persons may be very misleading. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but some thoughts,

I read this type of sentiment on Facebook a lot between March-May. And it seemed about right here in Texas, since we ended May with a small number of reported "infections." People were saying that most of us have probably already contracted the virus, and that if we all get tested then we'll find anti-bodies inside most, if not all, of us.

But then June arrived...

Our hospitals are filling up, and people are dying on a near daily basis. I'm not just talking about stuff I am reading; I'm talking about first-hand knowledge from friends and family that work throughout Texas hospitals.

So it begs the question, if we were all already infected, and the numbers are just high because we are getting more tests done, then how is June suddenly giving rise to increases in Hospitalization and deaths despite the fact that the Coronavirus arrived in Texas early March?

To me, the only thing more important than the number of infections and deaths, is the number of Hospitalized patients. We already have hospital bed shortages occurring. I know entire households who are afflicted as of today. And at least 1 person died that is close to my social circle (they just died over the weekend).

What I believe will become most important by December, will be the number of re-infections. There is evidence to suggest that the Covid anti-bodies only remain in our bodies for 2 months on average.
    Umpa_PC said:
    I don't think there will ever be an effective vaccine, best we can hope for is one that works as good as the one we have for influenza (and that is a crap vaccine) and they 'guess' which strain to develop for.

Agreed. The vaccine isn't the "cure all" by any stretch of the imagination. It just gets the most headlines because it helps keep the masses from going Full Derp (at least here in America where everyone is clearly on the brink of madness).

We will need the full trifecta to fight Covid19 and all its mutations:
    • Vaccines
    • Anti-Virals
    • Therapeutics

• Bahamut88Bahamut88 Posts: 18
    Brain Burst
    edited July 6
    But then you get all the misleading headlines and things and don't really know what information we're being fed is right or not. Like during the peak of this, they were listing all deaths as caused by covid-19, blowing up the numbers of deaths, making it look like it's the next black plague. Not saying it's true or made up, but there's a lot of fishy bs going on i'm sure. So many things aren't adding up. I'm still taking precautions though, better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes though, you have to be critical of the information you're getting and think for yourself, recently in california, they forbade 4th of july parties/gatherings, but protests are a-ok? What kind of sense does that make?
    Zenbane said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but some thoughts,

I read this type of sentiment on Facebook a lot between March-May. And it seemed about right here in Texas, since we ended May with a small number of reported "infections." People were saying that most of us have probably already contracted the virus, and that if we all get tested then we'll find anti-bodies inside most, if not all, of us.

But then June arrived...

Our hospitals are filling up, and people are dying on a near daily basis. I'm not just talking about stuff I am reading; I'm talking about first-hand knowledge from friends and family that work throughout Texas hospitals.

So it begs the question, if we were all already infected, and the numbers are just high because we are getting more tests done, then how is June suddenly giving rise to increases in Hospitalization and deaths despite the fact that the Coronavirus arrived in Texas early March?

To me, the only thing more important than the number of infections and deaths, is the number of Hospitalized patients. We already have hospital bed shortages occurring. I know entire households who are afflicted as of today. And at least 1 person died that is close to my social circle (they just died over the weekend).

What I believe will become most important by December, will be the number of re-infections. There is evidence to suggest that the Covid anti-bodies only remain in our bodies for 2 months on average.

Currently the only reinfections that the world has seen have been down to poor testing, so we'll have to wait and see.

As far as I'm aware there hasn't been a single case of someone catching it twice.

Bahamut88 said:
    But then you get all the misleading headlines and things and don't really know what information we're being fed is right or not. Like during the peak of this, they were listing all deaths as caused by covid-19, blowing up the numbers of deaths, making it look like it's the next black plague. Not saying it's true or made up, but there's a lot of fishy bs going on i'm sure. So many things aren't adding up. I'm still taking precautions though, better to be safe than sorry. Sometimes though, you have to be critical of the information you're getting and think for yourself, recently in california, they forbade 4th of july parties/gatherings, but protests are a-ok? What kind of sense does that make?

The death's I'm seeing are quite real though. Received another death confirmation today. At least 2 within my own close friends/family circle. And these are people in their 30's and 40's.

snowdog said:
    Currently the only reinfections that the world has seen have been down to poor testing, so we'll have to wait and see.

As far as I'm aware there hasn't been a single case of someone catching it twice.

True. We must consider that we cannot actually test for re-infection because it is illegal to intentionally infect someone with the virus. So we have to wait until they catch it again naturally.

We have measured the length of anti-bodies, and they appear to be gone after 2 months. Without the anti-bodies, there is no measurable immunity.
    There was a theory doing the rounds that some people that have recovered from the thing haven't actually recovered fully. The disease stays dormant instead. Not sure if that theory holds water or not. It was a month or two ago that this got mentioned I think and I haven't heard anything about it since.

We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess.

And just when you thought things couldn't get any worse they now have cases of the Black Death in China. Happens every now and then over there though apparently. You would have thought that they would have outlawed those wet markets over there by now. :angry: