New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

almost burned down the house

hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 967
Neo
was cooking spaghetti, i boiled the water and put in some canola oil, the water boiled i added the spaghetti and then added in a big spoon of butter.

i covered the pot with a lid that has a pressure release and stood nearby, i look up after a minute or two and see the pot look bad so i ran and lifted the lid, some spill over went into the heat element and caught fire, and the water was really bubbly the entire cooking time.

i had a premonition i almost had a bad accident but was spare because of someone special. so thank you to whoever holds me dear to your heart! :) 

Comments

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,041
    Wintermute
    Why are you cooking spaghetti in a pressurised pot. lol

• KentobiKentobi Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    Why would you put oil and butter into pasta water?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,314 Valuable Player
    edited July 6
    Kentobi said:
    You can either add some salt or oil into the water to prevent it from sticking together. I do this with olive oil all the time. I think OP is likely to have overdone it. Not sure why you need to cook it covered either. Handy tip, as long as the temp isn't maxed out a wooden spoon placed on the pan across the top will prevent it from bubbling over.

System Specs: ASUS NVIDIA RTX 3090 TUF GAMING OC 24GB , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • KentobiKentobi Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    Kentobi said:
    You can either add some salt or oil into the water to prevent it from sticking together. I do this with olive oil all the time. I think OP is likely to have overdone it. Not sure why you need to cook it covered either. Handy tip, as long as the temp isn't maxed out a wooden spoon placed on the pan across the top will prevent it from bubbling over.
    You want to salt your water, but you don’t want to oil it. Never heard of butter. https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/youre-doing-it-wrong-the-guide-to-making-perfect-pasta-946855/

But I’m glad nobody got hurt!!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,955 Valuable Player
    I always use a teaspoon of oil to stop spaghetti sticking together. I've done that for god know how many years now. I wouldn't put it in a pressure cooker though.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 345
    Trinity
    edited July 6
    You add salt to the water (quite some, not just a sprinkle) for taste. You don't need to add anything to keep it from sticking. It won't help. You keep it from sticking by stirring it a bit once it gets a bit soft.

After you've drained the pasta if you want to keep it sitting for a bit before using (or for a cold pasta salad type of thing), thén you add some oil and stirr it so all is covered in a little bit of oil and that will prevent it from sticking. If you use it immidiately in sauce no oil is needed.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,810 Valuable Player
    Kentobi
    Salt to help the boil and add flavor.
    Olive oil to help prevent the noodles from sticking its pretty standard.
    Although my sicilian grand ma never did it after the noodles are ready I put em in a collander and run hot water through em to get the excess starch off of them. 
    Once thats done I put them back in the pot with a few dollops of butter to enrich the taste.
    WAAAGH!
    edited July 6
    Thmoas said:
    You add salt to the water (quite some, not just a sprinkle) for taste. You don't need to add anything to keep it from sticking. It won't help. You keep it from sticking by stirring it a bit once it gets a bit soft.

After you've drained the pasta if you want to keep it sitting for a bit before using (or for a cold pasta salad type of thing), thén you add some oil and stirr it so all is covered in a little bit of oil and that will prevent it from sticking. If you use it immidiately in sauce no oil is needed.

I disagree, I know that adding a teaspoon of oil to the boiling water stops spaghetti sticking together. You don't even have to fart around stirring it if you do this. Before I did this my spaghetti would always stick together and now it doesn't.
  • daws72daws72 Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited July 6
    Let the water boil, and a couple of spoon with salt, no oil no butter. Only when water boil add spaghetti to the pot. Move spaghetti during cooking with a fork. Cook until they are almost done, not too much, this prevent they stick tougher. Add oil just a little line,only when served on a plate. And you're done. You can eat like that, very tasty. Adding a bit of cheese and pepper, as desired. 
    Well I'm Italian.. 
    I'll take this guys advise and use oil in boiling water :)

• Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    And you notice he did not use a pressure cooker.
    edited July 31
    Pixie40 said:
    And you notice he did not use a pressure cooker.

Where you looking up on how to cook pasta to find this thread :D
    Neo
    Nope, I'm familiar with cooking pasta. I don't use oil though. Actually, I rarely buy oil. When I do, it's because I need it for something like making brownies. I learned to cook pasta by watching The Frugal Gourmet and Joy of Cooking. I find Ramsay to be annoying, and not a good fit for a cooking show. He's more of a 'rockstar' personality. Also, my Joy of Cooking cookbook takes the time at the beginning of each section to explain how, and why, you do things and what common terms used mean. No where does it suggest putting oil in the water or dousing the cooked noodles with oil. In fact, I'm baffled why anyone would think adding oil to the water is going to do anything other then be a fire hazard. The oil just floats on the surface after all.

No, I saw the title of the thread, and read it. I thought I'd be offering sympathy, not boggling at the insanity of using a pressure cooker and adding oil to the water.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,999 Valuable Player
    I don't use anything apart from water in a saucepan when cooking mine. I don't even use salt cos of my diabetes 😲

But I also use pasta instead of spaghetti cos I end up getting covered in the stuff when eating spaghetti 😝😂😂😂
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,475 Valuable Player
    Spaghetti IS Pasta..... :D
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,999 Valuable Player
    Digikid1 said:

If you want to be pedantic 😝😁
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,475 Valuable Player
    edited August 6
    snowdog said:
    Digikid1 said:

If you want to be pedantic 😝😁

Oh but I insist.  :D  :P
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,822 Valuable Player
    That's why I still luv eating canned spaghetti, right out of the can.  Safety first, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,696 Valuable Player

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,822 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

Hey, where'd you get my baby vids?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Neo
    Spaghetti may be pasta, but not all pasta is spaghetti. There is also raman noodles, angel hair pasta, elbow macaroni, strait macaroni, and so many other varieties.