cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was casting/stream to phone removed/broken with the v18 update?

MayaMiracle
Explorer
So I only got my Quest yesterday, and thus never was able to experience a pre-v18 version of the Quest. But so far I have spent countless hours trying to get ANY kind of streaming/casting to work, to no avail.

When I cast to virtual Chromecasts like AirReceiver on Win10 or AirScreen on Android, there is immiedately an error "Casting/Livestreamining error. There was an error and the streaming has stopped." According to other responses on this forum, the v18 update broke Chromecast compatibility - mostly for virtual Chromecasts, but maybe even some real ones.

When I try casting to phone via the official Oculus Android app, it also doesn't work though. At first I didn't get a connection at all, but apparently that was caused by being connected to 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz network. So I switched to 5 GHz (giving a seperate SSID for the 5 GHz network, so it definitely doesn't roam to 2.4 GHz) and tried again, and then my phones were usually able to connect fine. But then after just a few seconds, the image completely freezes and doesn't return, unless I completely restart the streaming.

I
have tried with two different phones, a top-notch, up to date Pixel 3
and an older Android 8.1 phone (Umidigi One Pro). I have tried with two different 5 GHz
Wifi routers, making sure to give the 5 GHz network a separate SSID so
both the phones and the Quest definitely connect over the same 5 GHz
wifi. I have even tried via tethering (=connecting the Quest
*directly* to the Wifi of my phone) but can't even get it to connect there.

Is there any other method to get streaming/casting to work? Or is this just plainly broken for pretty much everyone on v18? Is there any acknowledgement of Oculus that this problem even exists, and that they're working on a fix? Because like this, I'll probably go back to my PSVR, where all of this works without any sort of issue right out of the box. I thought the Quest was technically superior, but it seems like it isn't after all.

5 REPLIES 5

VipeNess
Protege
I've also experiencing casting issues.  I can cast and it works, but if I navigate away from the app and come back, it loses the connection and says it's not casting even though it is still casting on the TV.

Apeinside
Honored Guest

So I only got my Quest yesterday, and thus never was able to experience a pre-v18 version of the Quest. But so far I have spent countless hours trying to get ANY kind of streaming/casting to work, to no avail.

When I cast to virtual Chromecasts like AirReceiver on Win10 or AirScreen on Android, there is immiedately an error "Casting/Livestreamining error. There was an error and the streaming has stopped." According to other responses on this forum, the v18 update broke Chromecast compatibility - mostly for virtual Chromecasts, but maybe even some real ones.

When I try casting to phone via the official Oculus Android app, it also doesn't work though. At first I didn't get a connection at all, but apparently that was caused by being connected to 2.4 GHz instead of 5 GHz network. So I switched to 5 GHz (giving a seperate SSID for the 5 GHz network, so it definitely doesn't roam to 2.4 GHz) and tried again, and then my phones were usually able to connect fine. But then after just a few seconds, the image completely freezes and doesn't return, unless I completely restart the streaming.

I
have tried with two different phones, a top-notch, up to date Pixel 3
and an older Android 8.1 phone (Umidigi One Pro). I have tried with two different 5 GHz
Wifi routers, making sure to give the 5 GHz network a separate SSID so
both the phones and the Quest definitely connect over the same 5 GHz
wifi. I have even tried via tethering (=connecting the Quest
*directly* to the Wifi of my phone) but can't even get it to connect there.

Is there any other method to get streaming/casting to work? Or is this just plainly broken for pretty much everyone on v18? Is there any acknowledgement of Oculus that this problem even exists, and that they're working on a fix? Because like this, I'll probably go back to my PSVR, where all of this works without any sort of issue right out of the box. I thought the Quest was technically superior, but it seems like it isn't after all.

same issue.

tygger
Honored Guest
Mine was casting reliably to a Chromecast Ultra prior to the 18 update. Now it crashes after a couple minutes. Casting to my phone seems to work a bit better and when it crashes, I can re enable casting from the app as opposed to having to initiate the cast from the Quest.

rachoban
Honored Guest

Today's date is 2/28/2021. Has the above problem with Airreceiver and Oculus 2 been fixed. I can not get it to work on my window PC

robatjmc
Honored Guest

I am having the same issue. I can't get it to cast anymore worked fine But now nothing.   I've tried 4 different networks is different networks at friends and families houses along with everything from everything from a Samsung fold 3, to lg TV, fire stick, and an iPad.  Nothing