cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What latency numbers are you seeing in Oculus Link?

bzhou
Honored Guest

I bought the $80 Oculus Link hoping for near Rift-like quality, but I've been somewhat disappointed. The latency I've been seeing (~50ms) is worse than the latency I've noticed through Virtual Desktop (~38ms). I have a pretty decent setup (i9-9900, RTX2070).

It's also disorienting when my hand movements in-game lag behind my movements in real life.

What are the latency numbers you're seeing and what's your setup?

2 REPLIES 2

FelicityC
Adventurer
fyi the VD latency is on top of the actual ingame latency. The ingame latency in link is solely the wire to rendering in headset. VD is rendering to wifi to rendering in headset. This is doubled down. So objectively, VD should have 20-40ms more input lag than direct link- and this is testable, at least in an informal way, which I have done extensively at least to prove my sanity.

1. quick flick movements are easily doable with link, not doable in VD
2. on latency 'tests', like humanbenchmark VRT, you can pretty consistently see the extra 20-30ms of latency. In some cases, it can be close to even.

However, bad cables or bad drivers or something can often make link feel worse than VD. I personally have yet to feel any situation where VD had less latency than my wired setup, which is a 16ft extension active cable and a 10ft anker cable, so that's 26ft of usb 3.0 signal weakening, and similarly have a 5ghz wifi setup directly next to me I use for non-latency intensive VD games.

Throwing stuff in blade and sorcery is also very obvious in VD vs link. If it's not, something is wrong imo. 50 vs 40ms shouldn't be perceptible also, especially with VR rendering wooziness, and the fact that 38ms is NOT a consistent value from VD, it fluctuates based on bitrate load.
8700k @ whatever i feel like, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 32gb memory @ CL16, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, pvc pipe gun

nishruu2
Protege
sorry but both of you should have bought the RIFT