New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Aaaaargh!!! My CPU Fan Has Died!!!

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,718 Valuable Player
edited July 11 in Off-Topic
My electricity ran out so my power was cut. Went to the shop to put money on my key, bunged it in the meter. Power back on. Turned on my PC and it stopped mid-boot saying the CPU fan was buggered.

Tried bunging it in the Opt Fan socket but does the same thing. Starts spinning then speeds up and slows down.

Bloody thing.

Going to get myself a Noctua D15 I think, should have done that when I built my machine instead of going for a Cooler Master 212 Evo.

Oh well, there goes 80 quids worth of my Yaw VR Motion Simulator 🤬😡🤬
"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 828
    3Jane
    Cool story. :p
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,961 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 11
    That's not great Snow, I guess it could have been worse but even so I'm surprised the MB didn't protect stuff like the fan during an improper shut down... unless the fan was really on its last legs.

If it makes you feel any better, I had to press the hardware reset last week when my PC locked up as nothing else worked and it completely screwed up Windows. Wouldn't boot, wouldn't repair, wouldn't restore... even command-line registry restoration wasn't an option as apparently since 1803 Windows doesn't keep a backup of the registry to save space... wtf???

As I've not had any issues with Windows 10 since launch I'd gotten a bit lax in keeping backup images so only option was a clean install, I still regularly backup all my important stuff, just not images of the system drive anymore.

I didn't even have a bootable USB stick and no way to create one... or create a Windows install stick, and I don't have any media for Windows 10 as it's all on-line now. Tried using my Android tablet to download Windows onto a stick via my OTG lead... but none of the Android apps for that purpose worked... absolutely useless! Anyway, I managed to find an old HDD with my Windows 7 on it so used that. So much for 2004 having online restoration features, that was useless too. Only just got everything back to how it was and I'm back to creating C drive images once a month.

Anyway, it helps to hear when other people have a problem so I'll use you problem to feel better :)
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 875
    Trinity
    wow. I hope that never happens to me.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,718 Valuable Player
    Just ordered a D15 from Scan which should arrive tomorrow.

Hopefully my CPU hasn't been fried in the process 😯😭
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

What CPU/socket do you have? I'm sure it'll be ok but let us know.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.388)
    LGA1150.

I think the fan was probably on its last legs, I do tend to push my PC hard. I usually have it on 24/7. 😂

It reports a CPU cooler error on POST so if it enters POST I'm hoping that means that the CPU is okay.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,387 Valuable Player
    edited July 11
    OmegaM4N said:
    Yeah, I'm not a FAN of the Cooler Master 212 Evo. :p

I have the Noctua D15 and it's a great cooler for overclocking.

RedRizla said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    Yeah, I'm not a FAN of the Cooler Master 212 Evo. :p

I have the Noctua D15 and it's a great cooler for overclocking.

Yup, just as good as water cooling, I was going to get one when I built my PC but decided to save 50 quid and go for the 212 Evo instead. The first time I've gone for a cheap CPU cooler...not doing that again lol 😂

snowdog said:
    LGA1150.

I think the fan was probably on its last legs, I do tend to push my PC hard. I usually have it on 24/7. 😂

It reports a CPU cooler error on POST so if it enters POST I'm hoping that means that the CPU is okay.
    OK, I have a spare 5820K but that's no good for your board, anyway, I'm sure it's just the fan given up.
    Yup, I reckon so. If the CPU itself was borked I don't think it would POST.

Thanks for the offer though. 😁

Am now running on a spare old laptop that my Mum gave to me when she bought a new one. Not powerful enough for VR but is fine for watching YouTube and Netflix and stuff on until tomorrow.

If the CPU is fried I guess it gives me an excuse to switch from Intel to AMD, even if it means I'll need to postpone my Yaw VR Motion Simulator purchase to later next year. 😁

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,905 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Yup, I reckon so. If the CPU itself was borked I don't think it would POST.

Thanks for the offer though. 😁

Am now running on a spare old laptop that my Mum gave to me when she bought a new one. Not powerful enough for VR but is fine for watching YouTube and Netflix and stuff on until tomorrow.

If the CPU is fried I guess it gives me an excuse to switch from Intel to AMD, even if it means I'll need to postpone my Yaw VR Motion Simulator purchase to later next year. 😁
    Cpus are typically hard to kill, I'd be surprised if anything happened to your cpu. I might worry about the mainboard ;) - then again, you'll probably be fine with a new fan. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,349 Valuable Player
    Hey now.  You DON'T diss the Evo coolers.  I use them in my builds and have not had a single issue yet with them.  They are a good cooler.
    Digikid1 said:
    Hey now.  You DON'T diss the Evo coolers.  I use them in my builds and have not had a single issue yet with them.  They are a good cooler.

They're a good BUDGET cooler. The D15 is a high end cooler, and you get what you pay for.

snowdog said:
    Digikid1 said:

They're a good BUDGET cooler. The D15 is a high end cooler, and you get what you pay for.

With the ugliest....but BEST fans on the market.  :D
    Digikid1 said:
    snowdog said:
    Digikid1 said:

With the ugliest....but BEST fans on the market.  :D

Yup 😂

Not sure about the temps with my 212 Evo but my D15 is 26-28 idle and 57-59 when mining.

I might knock my mining on the head now, that's probably what killed my fan I reckon 😂😂😂

I always felt nervous about not using Noctua, their air cooling is a bit mental...I keep on expecting to see a goat's head instead of an owl as their logo 😈😂

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,387 Valuable Player
    My Noctua D 15 is so big, I thought it might snap my motherboard when I placed my Pc tower upright.
    RedRizla said:
    My Noctua D 15 is so big, I thought it might snap my motherboard when I placed my Pc tower upright.

It's actually surprisingly light. I can't remember which Noctua cooler I had in my last rig but it weighed A TON. :o

• DuxCroDuxCro Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    You do know that if the fan on CPU cooler dies, you just buy a new fan, don't you? You don't need to replace the entire cooler.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,969 Valuable Player
    I miss my noc - but at the same time my AIO is doing pretty good as the daily driver. The only thing I would say is that AIOs are not for over clocking though witch is something I do all the time. At least they're not great at moving super fast heating devices where a solid cooler does best at I feel. 
  • MushroomiesMushroomies Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited July 13
    @Snowdog,
    Looks like you have a Fan Club here.  :p  
    I just use a Coolermaster Liquid Cooler, No problems and still keeping things cool,
    It is all Cool  B)
    Which D15 did you get?  There is the D15 and the D15S.
    DuxCro said:
    You do know that if the fan on CPU cooler dies, you just buy a new fan, don't you? You don't need to replace the entire cooler.

Yup, but I decided to go the whole hog and get a whole new cooler instead. It's cost me more but not getting the D15 in the first place was the only thing I've regretted with my rig so I thought, sod it, I'll just get what I SHOULD have bought in the first place.

Digikid1 said:
    Which D15 did you get?  There is the D15 and the D15S.

I got the D15. 😁

You get an extra fan with the D15 and I've got sensible, standard height RAM so no need for the extra height that the D15S has.