New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Usb hubs for vr rift s

kunio18kunio18 Posts: 41
Brain Burst
I’m thinking of buying a powered usb hub, I recon this might be the case form my constant crashing for my vr headset. Heh oculus any recommendations ?

Comments

• MushroomiesMushroomies Posts: 199
    Art3mis
    I tried a USB Hub that had on and off switches but it was a cheap one, It did not last long, after awhile no power going through it. If you get one, Do your research and pick one that has great reviews. It pretty much comes down to this, You get what you pay for.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,388 Valuable Player
    If you are using a laptop then a powered usb3.0 hub (I recommend a 4 port one) can be useful since many laptop motherboards have difficulties supplying sufficient voltage under load.  Just avoid plugging in additional devices into it, just your Rift is best.  I used a pretty generic, but not cheap, powered hub from Amazon (think it was one of the Amazon Choice ones) when I used an Alienware 17r4 laptop and it helped a lot.

if you have a desktop pc a powered hub may be useful if your pc power supply is a little on the weak side (less than 550-600w).  Otherwise a pcie usb3.0 card powered from your pc power supply is best imho.  I have one of the top end Saitech (sp?) 4 port 4 channel cards on my current desktop pc and this works very well for me.  Kinda expensive but I agree with OP that you get what you pay for.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• kunio18kunio18 Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    what will be the best thing to buy my rift  s keeps crashing i dont know if its my usb
    kunio18 said:
    what will be the best thing to buy my rift  s keeps crashing i dont know if its my usb
    Sorry, impossible to say since you do not include any PC specs or how/when your Rift S crashes, and any troubleshooting you've tried so far.  You do not even mention if you have a laptop or desktop pc.  Asking open ended questions without any detail is not going to get you very far imho.   

I suggest you start a ticket with Oculus Support which will include your latest log files.  At least this will let them review your system specs/performance and hopefully identify your problem.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Brain Burst
    i can post you my oculus logs i must have crashed over 16 times just now

i honestly think, my rift is screwed:(
    Brain Burst
    edit: i have done over 50 tickets with them,.cosntatly emails talking now man
    Did you actually try a powered usb hub?

Brain Burst
    just got a new headset
    kunio18 said:
    just got a new headset
    OK, and what.....???

Brain Burst
    another rift s all my problems are fuixed