New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 19.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 288 Oculus Staff
These features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of 7/20/20

Oculus Link

You can now select from 4 graphics profile settings to optimize your experience with Link. The new settings options are:
  • Automatic: When this option is selected, the optimal setting for your configuration will be chosen for you.
  • Performance: This setting is recommended if your configuration is lower spec.
  • Balance: This setting is recommended for mid tier spec configurations.
  • Quality: This setting is recommended for higher spec configurations.
Learn more about the optimal settings for your configuration.

Fixes
  • Fixed a bug that caused tracking to not work as intended for some Rift users.
  • Fixed an bug with Link that caused some AMD GPUs to show a black screen when launching apps. 

Comments

• NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 20
    Now the waiting begins. I have two Rift machines, and one usually updates on the first day and one usually on the last day. And my quest is somewhere in the middle. I still wish they would come up with a better release strategy than this rolling, random system.

At least allow us who are the real enthusiasts to pull and update. Most people would probably be happy with the push.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,338 Valuable Player
    Was this ACTUALLY TESTED before this official release?

Yes this IS a legit question knowing how Oculus releases it's "patches".
    Hiro Protagonist
    Does anyone know how this works with the Link settings in OTT? Should I disable the settings there?
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,380 Valuable Player
    Does anyone know how this works with the Link settings in OTT? Should I disable the settings there?
    Any OTT Link settings should be overwritten with v19.  Probably needs to be confirmed once v19 is released to all.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Hiro Protagonist
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Any OTT Link settings should be overwritten with v19.  Probably needs to be confirmed once v19 is released to all.
    Thanks, I got the update, but don't see the settings. I wonder if I have to wait for Quest to be on v.19 as well.
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Thanks, I got the update, but don't see the settings. I wonder if I have to wait for Quest to be on v.19 as well.
    Maybe go to your Oculus settings tab and do a restart.  Also, you can try logging out of your Oculus account (see Oculus App friends tab) and then login again.  Often this is needed to complete the update.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Hiro Protagonist
    TomCgcmfc said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Maybe go to your Oculus settings tab and do a restart.  Also, you can try logging out of your Oculus account (see Oculus App friends tab) and then login again.  Often this is needed to complete the update.
    Signing out did it. Thanks for the tip.
  • daws72daws72 Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    In PTC v19 any ODT setting overwrite the desktop client settings. 
    I guess it's still valid in public release, but not yet tested.
  • AtlasActualAtlasActual Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 22
    Here I am, once more getting let down with my crashing Rift S...
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,706 Valuable Player

Remember that these threads used to be called "Rift S and Rift PTC (V***) Release Notes".

It was changed to "PC Software Release Notes" to better reflect the Oculus direction. (i.e. Quest via Link). Facebookers are generally cell phone users, they don't have, or require, PC's, so Quest is best.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• AtlasActualAtlasActual Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 22
    Richooal said:

Remember that these threads used to be called "Rift S and Rift PTC (V***) Release Notes".

It was changed to "PC Software Release Notes" to better reflect the Oculus direction. (i.e. Quest via Link). Facebookers are generally cell phone users, they don't have, or require, PC's, so Quest is best.
    Whatever direction they want to go, they cannot leave users (lots with the same issue) to hang with a broken 550$(CAD) piece of hardware.

I have given up troubleshooting at this point. I have spent as much time doing it than playing with the damn thing. Worse is they still sell it and cash in without giving it any support.

That mentality alone means I will  never buy any oculus product in the future.
    Don't @ me.
  • cocoalopezcocoalopez Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    My CV1 Was working perfectly before this update, now the HMD won't turn on. Anybody else with this issue?
    My CV1 Was working perfectly before this update, now the HMD won't turn on. Anybody else with this issue?

Mine is still working, but Oculus are still not able to correctly identify my USB 3 port.

• cocoalopezcocoalopez Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Richooal said:

Mine is still working, but Oculus are still not able to correctly identify my USB 3 port.
    Same here, it was detecting my usb3 but after v19 it marks them as USB2 and now it doesnt turn the headset on, I repaired it and got it working again but then updated itself and broke again the HMD which shows only a black display

• jason.paquejason.paque Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Maybe they can start by allowing steam to open apps again.  Steam can no longer run apps outside of the home app.  I have to use a backdoor to open any steamvr app it must be opened outside of steam to work.  Of rather be launched from the file browser or it will not launch in VR.
  • juanitafajitajuanitafajita Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    same here
    I got the official v19 update earlier today.  Noticed that there were new drivers.  After that I did my usual full pc shutdown/startup and I noticed win10 found a new Oculus device and it installed fine.

Ran a few games and everything with my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors is working perfectly, including all reporting usb3.0 in the green.

Sorry to hear not everyone is happy.

• HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,288
    3Jane
    edited July 23
    Well in my case it's the original CV1 rift on Windows 7 with Intel I5-2500k processor and GTX 970 (Touch with 2 sensors) that shows a black screen because of that patch... that was meant to fix a black screen bug with the link on AMD GPUs... by shifting that bug to me apparently :(

If I put my headset on it does automatically launch the Oculus Store as usual, if I launch something using my mouse I can keep generating sounds so the application hasn't crashed : It's running it just isn't displaying.

Post your newly affected configurations here, to help Oculus notice a trend in the new bug they just created, before they spread it more.

PS : I haven't tried updating the GPU driver or anything, to avoid adding a problem to the problem (NVIDEA driver 8.1.940.0).
    edited July 23
    @HiThere_ Maybe time to update to Win10.  Oculus has not supported win7 for over 1.5 years now but it still might be worthwhile to reach out to Oculus Support to see if they can point you in the right direction. 

I'm using the latest win10 2004 feature update and nvidia 442.19 driver and I'm not having any problems with v19 with my Rift cv1.  Actually, even my Quest with the official link cable seems to work better now that both are v19.  The new Quality Link setting improves the graphics quite a bit.  Too bad it does so at the cost of additional latency.   My Rift cv1 with 2x SS continues to perform a lot better so my Quest link cable is back in it's box.  I'm mainly just using my Quest for Mobile VR and wireless with Virtual Desktop.

It may be worth just updating your nvidia driver to begin with and see if this helps.  Good luck mate.

• SirWilliamTSirWilliamT Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I created a new project with a simple cube in it for Quest. With this update, all I get is a black screen.
  • OldGoat5OldGoat5 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    My Rift also will not turn on after this update.  I cannot use it at all.  I wish we had the option to rollback updates, I missed a league event due to this.
    Do some simple troubleshooting first, including running a a Repair, before whining.  I’m sure you’ll sort out most update related problems that way.  Otherwise contact Oculus support and ask them to help sort out your problem.

• Hentaiwatcher26Hentaiwatcher26 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    My oculus rift wont update how do i fix this?

My oculus rift wont update how do i fix this?

If it's only this update that you're missing, then it's probably just because they push it in stages to everyone over about a week.
    Just wait, it will come.

• FertzzFertzz Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 24
    My rift s has started the restart software loop since update. Tracking all works if I load a game up but no display and I just see 3 dots. Iv changed the usbs and display cables. Updated my drivers for USB/windows and nvidia still no image. Uninstalled USB rift s drivers no joy and reinstalled the software. Headset won't work. Working fine 2 nights ago last night just would not work 
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    Fertzz said:
    My rift s has started the restart software loop since update. Tracking all works if I load a game up but no display and I just see 3 dots. Iv changed the usbs and display cables. Updated my drivers for USB/windows and nvidia still no image. Uninstalled USB rift s drivers no joy and reinstalled the software. Headset won't work. Working fine 2 nights ago last night just would not work 

i used to have this issue a while back and how i got round it was i started the oculus desktop app before putting on the headset or starting a game through steam,

well im happy to report atm that i have had no issies with this latest update so far but tbh im only using the rift s with sim racing and only try oculus store games when i get a problem and support ask me to test one of there software products
    NerveGear
    morphee7 said:
    Fertzz said:

i used to have this issue a while back and how i got round it was i started the oculus desktop app before putting on the headset or starting a game through steam,

well im happy to report atm that i have had no issies with this latest update so far but tbh im only using the rift s with sim racing and only try oculus store games when i get a problem and support ask me to test one of there software products
    Tbh that's how I usualy run mine anyway. I just use rift s with iracing. But last night I started as usual registered for a race then found out I had no image even though the tracking was working fine. Just those 3 bloody  dots. 
    NerveGear
    Fixed it. Found a helpful post on here. 
    Had to unplug it and restart pc. Then start oculus software put usb in then display adapter 5 seconds after
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,288
    3Jane
    TomCgcmfc said:
    @HiThere_ Maybe time to update to Win10.
    Maybe time for the users reporting the same v19 breakdown as mine on their Win10/CV1-S, to update to Win11 :)

But right now I'll avoid updating anything until someone figures out how to fix this v19 issue.

PS : My 128Go Win7 SSD is full (despite no games on it), and Win10 clear install can wait until AMD switches to socket AM5/DD5, for the sake of running a gen2 PC VR headset (hopefully 2022).