New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

First Images of New Oculus Headset

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,332 Valuable Player
edited July 22 in General

NOTE - This is a Twitter supplied source, and it has yet to be confirmed if this is a render from a fan or an actual promotional image, though it seems to be following the lines that have been leaked so far.
urdgfqqehbbb.png
** Second New Book **
"The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Comments

• CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    The guy who "leaked" it, has a really good track record. 
    First thoughts: 
    -Headstrap looks like the one from the Go sort of
    -No IPD slider? (I hope it actually has one 
    -Looks smaller and full of plastic (as the rumors suggested)
    -No Jedi controller? Maybe they will sell separately as they're more advanced and would jack up the price?
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,355 Valuable Player
    edited July 22
    Well if that's it I think it needs a better head strap, unless the battery is placed somewhere outside of the headset. Also, it still looks like it has the horrible foam padding that irradiates my face. Looks like FrankenQuest mod will be doomed too given the plastic goes right around the headset.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,618 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 22
    Ew, not a fan of the all white look, and the lack of IPD slider is concerning. That strap also looks worse than the current one, without the dip in the back to hook under the occipital bun. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

-No Jedi controller? Maybe they will sell separately as they're more advanced and would jack up the price?

The only new feature rumoured to be added to the "Jedi" controller is finger tracking--the form factor wouldn't necessarily be any different, and in fact I would expect them to match the current controllers as closely as possible for the sake of consistency.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited July 22
    nalex66 said:
    That strap also looks worse than the current one, without the dip in the back to hook under the occipital bun. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

All I can say is they should start listening to the community or creating a headstarp that's known to work. Something like the Vive head strap and also known as the FrakenQuest  :p

Art3mis
    nalex66 said:
    The only new feature rumoured to be added to the "Jedi" controller is finger tracking--the form factor wouldn't necessarily be any different, and in fact I would expect them to match the current controllers as closely as possible for the sake of consistency.
    Good point, I like this better. I just hope it's much more stronger like the CV1 controllers were.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,332 Valuable Player
    Thanks to the OP for sharing the first image, and also for pointing us to it. Agree the poster has a strong track record on leaks - and I would not be surprised that the next images are also on the money.

First thoughts:
    - This has Apple esthetics written all over it (this will be when Oculus becomes a smartphone-like supplier)
    - This will be a Quest2 more than a Quest-S
    - Seems they will try and address the controller issues for once (thanks Rift-S)
    - Still think that head-strap wont cut it (bet they revisit that in 12-months time)
    - Not admitting they need Audio seems like just sulking!

Oh, and before someone tries to spread some more fake-news, it looks very unlikely that Lenovo will be fabricating this system!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited July 22
    Looking closely at the strap, there seems to be some sort of blip on the right side--seems like maybe the adjustment has been moved to the back rather than having Velcro on each side. I wonder if there is an adjustment knob at the centre of the strap on the back?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    Art3mis
    kevinw729 said:
    Oh, and before someone tries to spread some more fake-news, it looks very unlikely that Lenovo will be fabricating this system!
    Yeah last time Oculus left the development of another headset to someone else, the Rift S happened. I got to try the Quest and aside from the heavy HMD and SDE, it's way better than the Rift S in every way. I can see why they've put so much effort on the Quest and not so much on Rift S all these months with updates.
    Least we know what headphones we will be using with it :)

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    nalex66 said:
    Looking closely at the strap, there seems to be some sort of blip on the right side--seems like maybe the adjustment has been moved to the back rather than having Velcro on each side. I wonder if there is an adjustment knob at the centre of the strap on the back?

I think this may be more wishful thinking, it seems the same as the GO system?

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    I don't spot a Display port or Hdmi, by the looks of that port it looks like a link cable is going to be used.
    kevinw729 said:
    nalex66 said:

I think this may be more wishful thinking, it seems the same as the GO system?
    I don't know, it's hard to tell but it looks like there is a seam there, like the side part goes inside the back part. Also, I don't see side Velcro--it looks like one solid part until it goes around the bend and meets the back bit.

Anyway, I'm not "wishing" for a back knob, I like the current adjustment method just fine. As long as it has the same range of adjustment as the current straps, because as it is I need to adjust it all the way out to fit on my big head.

Seems a good point, and you made that image and proposal clear - thanks.

What I meant by Wish-fulfillment is that a number of people have wanted a better strap design than Quest (look at the number of FrankenQuest hybrids). Something better is needed than even what you have spotted.

Also looks like we need to say hi to regular lurker @MRTV:

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,901 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I don't spot a Display port or Hdmi, by the looks of that port it looks like a link cable is going to be used.
    That was first thing I noticed. Guess link will still be 5gbps unless they’re gonna sell an active cable to get 20 but that doesn’t seem likely. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,736 Valuable Player
    I do not like the white.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 312
    Nexus 6
    edited July 22
    dburne said:
    I do not like the white.
    But you could paint it any color you will like :smile:
    ... with termo paint of course :lol:

And when you inside vr it does not matter ;)
  • MaldorrorMaldorror Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Isn't the USB-C port to far back, disconnected from where the panel and circuit board would be? Shouldn't it be closer to the cameras and headphone jack? 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,736 Valuable Player
    He seems to think this will be cheaper than Quest, say between Quest and what Go was.
    Like instead of Quest 1.5 or 2.0, more like Quest .75.
    If this is the new offering from Oculus maintaining Link requirement, then I am even more glad I have pre-ordered the Reverb G2. Doubt I would pick this one up. All of this though still at this point, is conjecture I guess.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Art3mis
    edited July 22
    I noticed once you zoom in to the controller to the left, the grip seems to be higher and the bump above it is bigger than on the current controllers. 

It could be that they expanded that area on each controller so you can rest your thumb there rather than on the sticks or face buttons?
    edited July 22
    I noticed once you zoom in to the controller to the left, the grip seems to be higher and the bump above it is bigger than on the current controllers. 

It could be that they expanded that area on each controller so you can rest your thumb there rather than on the sticks or face buttons?
    That would be good. I preferred the wider face of the CV1 Touch controllers with that thumb rest spot. It looks like the menu buttons may have been moved away from center, although it's hard to tell from this angle. There's also a seam there that doesn't exist on the current Touch--maybe they've reconfigured the battery cover in some way. Not really enough info from this picture to guess what has changed, though.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,150 Valuable Player
    The plot thickens...

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,844 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Ew, not a fan of the all white look, and the lack of IPD slider is concerning. That strap also looks worse than the current one, without the dip in the back to hook under the occipital bun. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

Fully agree - I like the dark Vader stuff - a horrible white hmd only fits low-ranking expendable dudes  :D  

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    dburne said:
    He seems to think this will be cheaper than Quest, say between Quest and what Go was.
    If this is the new offering from Oculus maintaining Link requirement, then I am even more glad I have pre-ordered the Reverb G2. Doubt I would pick this one up. All of this though still at this point, is conjecture I guess.

I sense some negative vibes here - now if it comes with the new Oculus LipStick™ to  go with Kewin's pink headphones, I'm sure we'll all love the Quest 2  <3
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited July 22
    dburne said:

You can always look on the bright side of things. I've just saved myself from having to buy 2 VR headsets this year. I'll just stick with the HP G2 and wait for an Oculus headset with all the bells and whistles. Still no leaks on a PC -VR headset, but maybe we'll hear something soon about PC -VR. I would think now that another Oculus Quest has arrived that Oculus will have to say something about PC -VR soon. 
    edited July 22
    dburne said:
    I do not like the white.
    I never wear white  B)

I never wear white
    White is for virgins
    Children in summer
    Brides in the park

My color is black black black
    Black is for secrets
    Outlaws and dancers
    For the poet of the dark

Art3mis

Something else that Cat mentioned, it's not a Pro version and that it is dubbed Quest 2, but it is subject to change.
    I am not surprised the team involved dubbed it Quest-2 - they really want to distance themselves from the previous design and promotion decisions and want to be seen as their own man. Will be interesting to see what the markets response will be, especially considering the Chinese situation. 

urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    Art3mis
    What I'm hoping for is that it IS a second generation Quest with better internals, but downgraded in others such as IPD sliders and so on.

What  most people are thinking it'll be is a even cheaper Quest Lite or Quest S for people who don't/can't drop $400+ on a Quest. 

Please don't be that lol.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 507
    Neo
    edited July 22
    What  most people are thinking it'll be is a even cheaper Quest Lite or Quest S for people who don't/can't drop $400+ on a Quest.

Many might think this will be a streamlined Quest that makes sacrifices in some areas (move to a single panel with no IPD lever) that allows increased manufacturing.  Remember what Mark said during the FB investors meeting ? He wished they had more Quests to sell, and they're selling them as fast as they can make them (thus $400 seems to be a good price point).  To address the shortage, they need to 1) increase manufacturing capacity (Goertek said a few weeks back they're doing this) and 2) design a headset that's quicker to produce (perhaps that's what this 'Quest 2' accomplishes).

So while it has some sacrifices (lets just assume it won't have a manual IPD), it may have some improvements as well (controller improvements in the internals, perhaps a higher resolution display [example: the Lenovo VR Classroom 2 has a 4k single panel display], higher refresh rate, and hopefully a native Displayport connector for PCVR play).

Lastly, as I commented in a different thread, there was a interview with Jason Rubin at last year's GDC 2019. Rubin said that Oculus headset cycles will approach something similar to the cellphone cycle.  So maybe we'll see reiterative improvements on a 1-2 year basis, but without the expectation that ppl need to upgrade their device every year. 

But hey, we're all just speculating. Maybe it is a Quest S or a GO 2.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale