cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Images of New Oculus Headset

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
9u6f8za4mnr5.png

NOTE - This is a Twitter supplied source, and it has yet to be confirmed if this is a render from a fan or an actual promotional image, though it seems to be following the lines that have been leaked so far.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
232 REPLIES 232

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
The guy who "leaked" it, has a really good track record. 
First thoughts: 
-Headstrap looks like the one from the Go sort of
-No IPD slider? (I hope it actually has one 
-Looks smaller and full of plastic (as the rumors suggested)
-No Jedi controller? Maybe they will sell separately as they're more advanced and would jack up the price?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Well if that's it I think it needs a better head strap, unless the battery is placed somewhere outside of the headset. Also, it still looks like it has the horrible foam padding that irradiates my face. Looks like FrankenQuest mod will be doomed too given the plastic goes right around the headset.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Ew, not a fan of the all white look, and the lack of IPD slider is concerning. That strap also looks worse than the current one, without the dip in the back to hook under the occipital bun. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

-No Jedi controller? Maybe they will sell separately as they're more advanced and would jack up the price?

The only new feature rumoured to be added to the "Jedi" controller is finger tracking--the form factor wouldn't necessarily be any different, and in fact I would expect them to match the current controllers as closely as possible for the sake of consistency.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

kojack
MVP
MVP
Quest 2 or Go 2?
No IPD slider, cheap looking head band and light colour scheme makes it look more like a Go sequel (or Quest Light).

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
nalex66 said:
That strap also looks worse than the current one, without the dip in the back to hook under the occipital bun. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

All I can say is they should start listening to the community or creating a headstarp that's known to work. Something like the Vive head strap and also known as the FrakenQuest  😛

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

nalex66 said:
The only new feature rumoured to be added to the "Jedi" controller is finger tracking--the form factor wouldn't necessarily be any different, and in fact I would expect them to match the current controllers as closely as possible for the sake of consistency.

Good point, I like this better. I just hope it's much more stronger like the CV1 controllers were.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Thanks to the OP for sharing the first image, and also for pointing us to it. Agree the poster has a strong track record on leaks - and I would not be surprised that the next images are also on the money.

First thoughts:
- This has Apple esthetics written all over it (this will be when Oculus becomes a smartphone-like supplier)
- This will be a Quest2 more than a Quest-S
- Seems they will try and address the controller issues for once (thanks Rift-S)
- Still think that head-strap wont cut it (bet they revisit that in 12-months time)
- Not admitting they need Audio seems like just sulking!

Oh, and before someone tries to spread some more fake-news, it looks very unlikely that Lenovo will be fabricating this system!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Looking closely at the strap, there seems to be some sort of blip on the right side--seems like maybe the adjustment has been moved to the back rather than having Velcro on each side. I wonder if there is an adjustment knob at the centre of the strap on the back?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

kevinw729 said:

Oh, and before someone tries to spread some more fake-news, it looks very unlikely that Lenovo will be fabricating this system!

Yeah last time Oculus left the development of another headset to someone else, the Rift S happened. I got to try the Quest and aside from the heavy HMD and SDE, it's way better than the Rift S in every way. I can see why they've put so much effort on the Quest and not so much on Rift S all these months with updates.