New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v20 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 288 Oculus Staff
Oculus Link
  • Users are now able to hide the ‘Activate Oculus Link’ modal. You can always enable Oculus Link from the Settings > Quick Actions menu.

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,706 Valuable Player
    Woohoo!

V20, nice big round number! Gotta be something exciting here. Wait a minute, is this it?

Oculus Link
    • Users are now able to hide the ‘Activate Oculus Link’ modal. You can always enable Oculus Link from the Settings > Quick Actions menu.
    I don't have a Quest (or link) and so far my hardware is working fine so why this?

Dear Oculus, please consider 2 releases of software so that Rift users don't have to panic when they realise a new "update" is available. Rift users get zero benefit from all these Quest extras.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• MalicTolsenMalicTolsen Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    This update still does not fix the gray window on pinned displays that has been happen since December of last year.

Video of the problem:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HpHyYvIezE

Original post:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/86013/pinned-display-z-fighting-issue-bug

• XarstealthXarstealth Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    Richooal said:
    Woohoo!

V20, nice big round number! Gotta be something exciting here. Wait a minute, is this it?

Oculus Link
    I don't have a Quest (or link) and so far my hardware is working fine so why this?

Dear Oculus, please consider 2 releases of software so that Rift users don't have to panic when they realise a new "update" is available. Rift users get zero benefit from all these Quest extras.
    because theres just one usb driver for both devices, so they can fix quest and break something in rift that will be fixed in next releases so they can avoid european law that obligue to support a device for 2 years after release
  • NWGJulianNWGJulian Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    still cannot use my rift s since 2 days. stopped working from one day to the next. hoped that v20 will fix some issues, but i guess i am too optimistic
  • CygnificCygnific Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Oculus Link
    Is there a option to Link always on by default if Link cable is connected?

• OrkelOrkel Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    edited July 31
    Ah yes. Another update for the Quest.
    Rift S bugfixes and improvements and new features when? 2025?
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,501 Oculus Start Member
    Sell your Rift S and wait for the next Quest (should be announced soon)  ;)
  • TheXRealTheXReal Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    motorsep said:
    or never buy oculus again and just save the money for something better then oculus sh*t ;)

also nice PTC update can't wait to see how much you guys at oculus have broken this time....
  • CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    TheXReal said:
    or never buy oculus again and just save the money for something better then oculus sh*t ;)
    See, here's the problem with that statement, there isn't anything better than Oculus at this moment in time, the only other that is as good is the Valve Index. WMR isn't on par with Oculus software wise, HTC Vive Cosmos... no, Pimax? Heard too many software complaints, etc.
  • CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    motorsep said:
    This, all of this. As soon as I tried a Quest the a few weeks ago, It all made sense. Rift S was a mistake, Quest is the way to go.
  • TaomynTaomyn Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    This update still does not fix the gray window on pinned displays that has been happen since December of last year.

Video of the problem:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HpHyYvIezE

Original post:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/86013/pinned-display-z-fighting-issue-bug

Same here, still cannot believe it's been nearly 8 months without this getting looked at or even acknowledged
    ---
    Rift S | AMD Ryzen 7 2700X CPU | Asus RoG Strix X470-I Gaming Motherboard | Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM | MSI GTX 1070Ti Gaming 8G GPU | Corsair Force MP500 M.2 120GB SSD | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SDD | Corsair H100i v2 Cooler | Corsair 250D Case | Corsair RMx 750 80+ Gold PSU

• bitziebitzie Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist
    The Reverb G2 cannot be released soon enough.
  • omg.nerdomg.nerd Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Oculus Link
    Can someone say where is this option?
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,338 Valuable Player
    WTF is a "modal"??

:D
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 76
    Hiro Protagonist
    I anxiously await each of the these new PTC announcements, hoping that we will have some really significant update. For example, the ability to have "User Accounts" on the main account so that I can share my headset with someone in my house without having them affect my progress. 

My equipment hasn't had any significant problems due to updates, but it seems to me that the updates are getting smaller and smaller in scope. When are we going to get a major update with significant features? An entire update with only a switch to turn off something is not particularly compelling.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 140
    Art3mis
    motorsep said:

not if that is what your offering with the bulit-in speakers again oh and the material head strap that you cant attach your own over ear speakers to
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,736 Valuable Player
    Wait till this version gets through the PTC and to release version. Then it will be rolled out to the Quest, and the update release notes for the Quest will then probably have some "meat on the bone" so to speak.
    Obviously for Rift S it only slightly pertains to it and that is because of  Link for using Quest.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Digikid1 said:
    WTF is a "modal"??

I googled it. Still didn't make any sense. I reckon he just spelt model wrong. :p

• cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 295
    Nexus 6
    edited August 1
    motorsep said:

If it's to have a device as mediocre as the current Quest: no
            Still no earphone worthy of the name.
            Always low resolution.
            Always a low refreshment
            Always ... the least possible quality

Oculus no longer seeks quality but only financial return.

After 3 years, I made the decision and I am registered for the pre-order of the G2. I look forward to September.

cordially  :(

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 507
    Neo
    edited August 1
    Richooal said:
    Digikid1 said:
    WTF is a "modal"??

I googled it. Still didn't make any sense. I reckon he just spelt model wrong. :p
    Shorthand for 'modality' (how do you guys not know this ?).
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 823
    Trinity
    Problem for me is the quest is a 'personal' product - where the RiftS is a family party product.  Screen casting in with the quest is absolute garbage, and if your connecting via link you may as well use a RiftS and benefit from the clearer display.  So whilst the Quest might well be the headset of the moment, no development seems to be put in to screen casting.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • thomas_wadsworththomas_wadsworth Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Oh dear here comes the usual "update rift S Wabash crowd"
  • motorsepmotorsep Posts: 1,501 Oculus Start Member
    morphee7 said:
    motorsep said:

not if that is what your offering with the bulit-in speakers again oh and the material head strap that you cant attach your own over ear speakers to
    There are a lot of options to go about it...
  • cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 295
    Nexus 6
    motorsep said:
    morphee7 said:
    motorsep said:

There are a lot of options to go about it...
    Hello,

So Oculus is starting to work Chinese like Pimax.
    You buy a helmet that is not very well finalized technically and you add (pay for other) modules to make it more or less usable !!

But also keeps characteristics far below what is beginning to be seen on the market.

The goal is no longer to make quality or innovation but a lot of money on the personal information of users.

And for that you have to sell a product that is not too expensive (therefore of not very good quality) to cast a wide net with buyers.

cordially

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
  • Lethal_AimsLethal_Aims Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    Any chance that this option will also stop the pointless virtual audio driver from enabling and promoting itself to default?
  • PilarFeijooPilarFeijoo Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    another update, that the rhythm does not stop, jejeje
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 823
    Trinity
    Oh dear here comes the usual "update rift S Wabash crowd"
    I wish Oculus would voice their intentions. If the RiftS is a finished product, then fork the software - spare us the hassle of forced updating with no benefit for the product.

I still don't understand why screen casting is so awful on the quest - its like there is no development at all in this regard.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
    Umpa_PC said:
    I wish Oculus would voice their intentions. If the RiftS is a finished product, then fork the software - spare us the hassle of forced updating with no benefit for the product.

They won't even fork the software for Rift CV1. Whilst Rift S and Quest share the same tracking, CV1 does not. Facebook don't listen to users, they log their data. When the numbers suggest a benefit to them, they make changes.

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,543 Volunteer Moderator

Richooal said:
    Digikid1 said:
    WTF is a "modal"??

A modal dialog is a pop up window that blocks input to the rest of the program until you do whatever it is waiting for (click ok, cancel, abort, whatever it has). When you select save or open in a program and the windows explorer file dialog pops up, that's a modal dialog.
    kojack said:

Richooal said:
    Digikid1 said:
    WTF is a "modal"??

A modal dialog is a pop up window that blocks input to the rest of the program until you do whatever it is waiting for (click ok, cancel, abort, whatever it has). When you select save or open in a program and the windows explorer file dialog pops up, that's a modal dialog.

Thanks for the explanation kojack.
    That makes it kojack 1 : Google nil