New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

3D / VR content on pc with Quest: What are the limits?

TheIronEddieTheIronEddie Posts: 1
NerveGear
I just got a quest and I'm about to either get a link cable or virtual desktop (or both) to use my PC and I've seen the tutorials on installation, but I'm wondering if I can do all that I hope to do with either.

In particular: I own The Witcher on GOG and it has a 3D mod that I want to install.  Will I be able to play it using my quest?  What does it entail?  I get that there is a good integration of Steam, but other 3D programs, will my Quest detect any game or media meant to be viewed in 3D?  I wouldn't want to buy VD or the link and realize that those media play in a flat window on my virtual desktop... 

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    To start with, welcome to VR. Hope you enjoy your stay. I'll now try answering some of your questions. Keep in mind, I am by no means an expert. I'm basing my answers on my own personal experiences.

The cable that came with your Quest is USB C 2.0, which is now supported for Oculus Link. This means you don't actually need to buy a new cable to use Link. It should work just fine, but bear in mind that it can't both handle the data stream for Oculus Link and charging your Quest. This means that over time the Quest's battery will get drained. Maybe not as fast as in stand alone mode, but it'll still get drained. The Official Link cable can handle both keeping your quest charged and Oculus Link at the same time, but other USB C 2.0 and 3.0 cables may not be able to do so. Still, congrats! You have a PCVR headset too!

As for Virtual Desktop, I use (and love) that program. And it's great. Officially, it doesn't let you stream Rift games to your Quest while it's in stand alone mode, or let you play Minecraft in VR. Unofficially, there's a Sideload patch supplied by the creator to do this. However the last Quest update appears to have broken that Sideloaded functionality. Even so, you can still play any Steam VR game, and I assume any VR mod or game that isn't specific for the Rift. Haven't tried with games acquired through Viveport yet though. Thinking of subscribing since it sounds like a great way to get a bunch of VR games at low cost.

Even if you have a Link cable (which you do), I still can't recommend Virtual Desktop enough. I spent most of June out of state, but had my Quest with me. And because of that (and leaving the desktop on while out of town) I was able to still play all of my flatscreen PC games, browse the internet using my desktop, and play most of my PCVR library. Only ones I couldn't play were Minecraft and my Rift games. And that's because as I mentioned, the last major Quest update appears to have negated the VD Sideload functionality that allowed streaming of Rift games wirelessly. Note, as mentioned I was using my desktop from another state entirely.
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 77
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have actually tried the Witcher 3 in VR and you should be aware that games that are not native VR have some limitations. The main one being that touch controllers generally don't work. The Witcher 3 can be used with a controller and that is what you would need to do to play it in VR. Since the Witcher 3 is 3rd person, this is not a huge deal, but don't expect any non-native VR apps to show you your hands, or if there are hands in the app, they won't move in space or have finger actions.

To make non-VR 3d games play in VR you need VorpX. http://VorpX.com They have a list of games that they have profiles for that should work fine in VR.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 173
    Art3mis
    Thanks for that @Nunyabinez , I am keenly interested in playing SW Battlefront 2 in VR. As well as a few other games that aren't natively VR.