New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Link Cable Troubles - iMac 2019 Bootcamp

andrewsouthworthandrewsouthworth Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hey everyone,

I've been able to get my Oculus Quest with Oculus Link working well on a maxed out 2019 iMac using Bootcamp, and using a Macbook charger USB-C-USB-C cable plugged into the thunderport plug on the iMac as the link cable. Oculus warns me that the cable isn't good enough, but everything I play (including Half Life Alyx and VTOL VR) seem to work fine with the cable. 

Despite things working fine, I figured I might as well get a 'worthy' link cable and hopefully up some performance specs a bit (and longer distance). I purchased a 3rd party cable that's USB-C to USB 3 Type B (the bigger more common end), which I plugged into the non-thunderbolt ports on my iMac. Oculus software says the cable is all good, and some games ran through the cable, but I noticed that the Link 'Home' world, SteamVR 'Home' and Half Life Alyx would crash the game almost immediately resulting in a frozen single frame, with a black void around it (despite the game still running on the computer fine in the preview window). 

I'm a bit unsure why this new cable wouldn't work - is it the fact the ports are USB 3.0 and not thunderbolt? I saw that the cable itself (3rd party AND Oculus official) are USB 3.1, and Thunderbolt 3 ports support both USB 3.1 and 3.2.

I'm wondering if I should just buy the official Oculus cable that goes directly to USB-C on the computer side so I can just plug it into the Thunderbolt 3 port, OR if I can just get a USB B to USB C 3.1/3.1 adapter and adapt the cable I already purchased?

I'm not sure if anyone will actually have an answer haha, but I figured at the very least this post would help someone else trying to figure out how to make all this stuff work on an iMac.

Thanks!
--
Andrew
Tagged:

Comments

• andrewsouthworthandrewsouthworth Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    One thing i'm wondering and forgot to mention... I wonder if the actual issue is that the 3.0 ports on the back don't have dedicated hosts, so other USB devices are sharing that bandwidth. But the thunderbolt connections are likely dedicated on each port.