New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

TestHMD - FOV, SDE, Res, Super Sampling - The Rift(s) against everything else! :-)

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,838 Valuable Player
edited August 4 in General
Couldn't find any thread about this great app that Sebastian (MRTV - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2mgZjuHRDW02mx_ok4wfPw ) lately used to measure FOV on HP Reverb G2 and many more hmds. Here's an intro to TestHMD:

http://testhmd.com/

https://knob2001.itch.io/testhmd

According to the dev, current HMDs have these specs, especially when it comes to FOV (Field of View):

Or zoomed in on the results:

Note that when you're inside the app, the above results are seen on a wall, like this:

Comparing my own Valve Index and CV1, and spending some time double and triple checking my results, I got the exact same results as the above - that is for the Rift CV1 I got 88 degrees horizontal fov and 116 degrees vertical fov. And even using glasses - but Norm from Tested also could dial in the lenses all the way using glasses - I got 108 degrees horizontal fov and 132 degrees vertical for the Valve Index. It does take some practice to do these measurements correctly. I've defined the upper limit as where you no longer can see the stimulus material, for example when going from 114 to 116 using CV1, you can sense the last movement, but none when going from 116 to 118 or above. This takes some practice - and for horizontal fov you may have to look left to best see what's moving to the right, might seem counter-intuitive, but has to do with how our eyes are constructed. 

At least I can confirm the results shown inside TestHMD for CV1 and Index, and my IPD is 63.94 mm (right: 31.23 mm, left 32.71). I don't know how much IPD can or will affect these results. Interestingly MRTV (Sebastian) got quite different results for some HMDs, if he was too fast and forgot to triple check his results or if his IPD caused different results, I have no idea. 

Measured as a square, Valve Index (108 x 132) would have 40% larger fov the Rift CV1 (88 x116), which closely fits my subjective experience. 

Fov isn't the only interesting subject that can be examined and measured using TestHMD - I found the reading and vision tests to be just as important:

Reading test

This test was kind of an eye-opener to me - because it's a great way to test super sampling and compare different HMDs - like CV1 and Index. How much better is CV1 using 1.0 super sampling (ss) compared to Index using SteamVR resolution 100 %? Or CV1 ss 2.0 vs. Index res 200 %? In the reading test you just focus on the text and move backwards until you just barely can read the text. On the floor you can see how many meters you can stand from the text and still be able to read it. My results were somewhat surprising:

Rift CV1:
Ss 1.0 = 4 meters
Ss 2.0 = 6 meters

Valve Index:
Res 100 % = 4.5 meters
Res 200 % = 6.5 meters

Note that the ruler on the floor only goes to 5 meters, but I'm confident I'm not very mistaken for the results beyond 5 meters. 

I've spent a lot of time checking these results, but they are what I observed. Index res 200% looks a lot better, but I can't zoom out much more than CV1 ss 2.0. Also it helps moving your head slightly using CV1, because it removes/reduces the SDE, while you don't have to do that using Index. Index res 200 % is a total of 18 mill pixels per image, it's quite massive, so very surprising I can't zoom out a lot more... Also note that the TestHMD worked much better through SteamVR, where I could easily use Index res 200 %, but forcing CV1 ss 2.0 was so incredibly gpu demanding that the app once crashed - might be some driver bug (I used the regular version of TestHMD). 

Another interesting vision test is this one, where I went for the red line, namely normal 20/20 vision:

Visual Acuity (Distance Chart)

In this test you measure the  ability to identify each letter, especially separating the F from the P - and I got:

Rift CV1:
Ss 1.0 = 2 meters
Ss 2.0 = 3.5 meters

Valve Index:
Res 100 % = 2.25 meters
Res 200 % = 3.25 meters

I just wrote down the numbers after each test, but strange that I got a better number for the Rift ss 2.0 here than Index res 200%. Important factors could be better contrast due to oled making black text easier to read, and also I've got the Index lenses all dialed-in, so the pixel sizes may not be very different. That said, the Index looks a lot better due to no SDE and much larger fov. Again CV1 profited from moving my head slightly to remove the SDE, while you don't need to do that with the Index. 

I'm slightly baffled by these results - I would have thought that I could zoom out much more with the Index, but that's not the results I got. I was quite amazed with the CV1's image quality, especially for the readability. Comparing ss 1.0 with 2.0 it's easy to see the large impact of super sampling. This goes for both hmds. Also SteamVR res 100 % may correspond more the "ss 1.4", so it's not fully apples to apples, but I do consider CV1 ss 2.0 and Index res 200% for close to the best image quality you can get with these hmds - further increasing ss does not result in large gains. 

Now it could be really interesting to test Reverb G1 and/or G2 for visual acuity! Or if the above results can be confirmed. Note that I used the SteamVR default settings for antialiasing and everything else - to change res I only used the SteamVR res slider. For the CV1, I used Oculus Tray Tool to change between ss 1.0 and 2.0. Index used 90 Hz and lenses all dialed-in.  
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,838 Valuable Player
    edited August 4
    Btw, maybe a good idea to show Sebastian's results here - which include the Rift-S, but not the CV1:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkUtY8ifDs
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 568
    Neo
    edited August 4
    This test was kind of an eye-opener to me - because it's a great way to test super sampling and compare different HMDs - like CV1 and Index. How much better is CV1 using 1.0 super sampling (ss) compared to Index using SteamVR resolution 100 %? Or CV1 ss 2.0 vs. Index res 200 %?

Again, what SS settings are you using for the CV1 ? Oculus or STEAM? It;s read's like you're using Oculus Debug.

Oculus is a squared value, STEAM uses a linear value. I hope you're not comparing Oculus SDK SS of 2.0 to STEAMVR SS of 200%

edit - I think the output render resolution from each headset is a more important number than just comparing '2.0 vs 200%'.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S , Oculus Quest 2
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    edited August 4
    ShocksVR said:
    This test was kind of an eye-opener to me - because it's a great way to test super sampling and compare different HMDs - like CV1 and Index. How much better is CV1 using 1.0 super sampling (ss) compared to Index using SteamVR resolution 100 %? Or CV1 ss 2.0 vs. Index res 200 %?

Again, what SS settings are you using for the CV1 ? Oculus or STEAM? It;s read's like you're using Oculus Debug.

Oculus is a squared value, STEAM uses a linear value. I hope you're not comparing Oculus SDK SS of 2.0 to STEAMVR SS of 200%

I wrote it last in the post: "For the CV1, I used Oculus Tray Tool to change between ss 1.0 and 2.0."

Index is res 100 % (2016x2240x2) and res 200 % (2868x3168x2). 

It does not make much sense to compare same pixel values. Default for CV1 is ss 1.0, while default for Index is res 100 % - thus I used these values for "baseline". I used CV1 ss 2.0 and Index res 200 % because I think that's the upper limit for both hmds to get optimal image quality - that is, you can go higher, but I don't notice significant gains compared to the very noticeable performance reductions. 

But just get the app and try it yourself - it's only 5 bucks ;)

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,309 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    Reading test

Rift CV1:
    Ss 1.0 = 4 meters
    Ss 2.0 = 6 meters

Valve Index:
    Res 100 % = 4.5 meters
    Res 200 % = 6.5 meters
    Visual Acuity (Distance Chart)

Rift CV1:
    Ss 1.0 = 2 meters
    Ss 2.0 = 3.5 meters

Valve Index:
    Res 100 % = 2.25 meters
    Res 200 % = 3.25 meters
    These are great tests. Very curious to see where the Rift-S sits with these 2 tests from someone on the forum. Maybe better if someone with multiple headsets does that test rather than me, I've packed away the CV1 and I think it's good to have someone with CV1 and S.. or Index and S, to do the test so there's an overlap with your tests @RuneSR2, any bias towards the S or anomaly would show up better, if you see what I mean.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
    edited August 4
    DaftnDirect said:

These are great tests. Very curious to see where the Rift-S sits with these 2 tests from someone on the forum. Maybe better if someone with multiple headsets does that test rather than me, I've packed away the CV1 and I think it's good to have someone with CV1 and S.. or Index and S, to do the test so there's an overlap with your tests @RuneSR2, any bias towards the S or anomaly would show up better, if you see what I mean.

Great idea - also this isn't a totally exact science, it will depend on your eyes too. I stopped the visual acuity test when I no longer could see the white dot inside the "P" clearly - thus "F" and "P" started to be impossible to tell from each other. 

Btw, fun thing I didn't mention, but Index has gotten a lot of criticism for the glare, but trying the glare test I'd swear the CV1 had *much* more glare (God rays) than Index - Index really has close to none, it was very surprising. Tilting my head, Index could get more glare, but looking straight at the large white letters "GLARE TEST" on the black background, glare was much less using Index than CV1. Maybe I need to clean my CV1 lenses, lol - and that was a joke, my lenses are extremely clean. 

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,159 Valuable Player
    I think something like God Rays can vary from device to device.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,196 Valuable Player
    edited August 5
    If I do it that way and I'll retest after rebooting my CPU:

On my CV1 I get 88 HFOV and 114 VFOV but I don't have the stock faceplate anymore and I have a VRCover with the pleather that's kinda plush. Could be affecting my VFOV possibly.

On O+ I get 104 HFOV and 134 VFOV with my hand on the front pressing inward both dots fall off at same time here so it's a good number. Where I normally wear the O+ I get 124 VFOV after 1 dot falls off,, 126 for both to fall off. HFOV is same

On Snellin Test - Only did the O+ cause it's not apples to apples to compare pixel density 2.0 to 200%. Reading Line 8. Also I used to have 20/10 vision but nowadays it's somewhere around 20/20 so may be a little better than a normal 20/20 idk.

100% SS after 2.5 meters it starts becoming blurry but I can make out the F and P at 3 meters
    200% SS After 3.5 meters it starts getting quite hard to read so I'll just call it that.

edited August 4
    Forgot to Add - Glare Test on O+ I see none when looking straight on at the dots and the text but if I turn my head 45-90 degrees I get a couple strong god rays that streak across my lens but it doesn't come into my eyes.

Glare results on CV1 -
    That about sums it up lol.

I went back and did Snellen Test on CV1 since I had to plug it in to do glare test. At 2.0 I can read out to about 3.75 meters. I tested 1.6 for fun since my O+ is in between 1.5 and 1.6 on pixel count at 200% and I can see out to about 3.5 meters. Reflects my initial findings with the O+ when I first got it in cockpits. Despite the lack of SDE and smooth image, it doesn't increase text legibility. Look forward to repeating these with a G2.
  • parsecnparsecn Posts: 135
    Art3mis
    This was posted in alternate forums (by me) a couple of years ago. TestHMD result in relation to VRCover kits and CV1:

I received the long interface kit from VRCover last week and while it makes wearing glasses in VR much more comfortable, the reduction in FOV is a deal-breaker (for me). The long kit eliminates pressure on my nose by allowing room for the glasses, and I can again feel the facial interface against my face but can't get past the FOV. I know this is subjective and specific to each person, so not having a dig Ser Torvin, just observation.

I suspect I am "looking-for" FOV, like being hyper-aware of it at trying the new interface. It's like looking through two circles and reminds me of daydream or cardboard FOV. I've heard others refer to this as the periscope effect; not sure if it's the correct term to use here.

At any rate, on a positive note, the experience brought me to an outstanding app called TestHMD where I am able to compare both hFOV and vFOV.

Result:
    • Oculus CV1 stock foam interface vFOV 116° / hFOV 90° which is reflected in the common result for CV1 users.
    • VRCover short interface vFOV 116° / hFOV 88° was surprised to see a reduction from stock Oculus foam albeit very minimal at only 2°; certainly unnoticeable unless the user is using testing software such as TestHMD
    • VRCover long interface vFOV 98° / hFOV 80°

for a loss of vFOV 18°/ hFOV 10° respectively

TestHMD also has an eye chart and distance measurement. Very helpful.

In all of my various testing, it's allowed me to conclude:
    • Yes, I can see better in VR if wearing glasses. I have 20/20 vision from 3m when wearing glasses
    • Nose pain with glasses and short interface; can't do it
    • Long interface presents reduced FOV; distracting can't do it
    • Have gone back to short interface no glasses with SS 1.8 and "live with" things being a bit blurry.
    • Moving to Index in January – this process has encouraged the purchase of prescription lens adapters

No affil with TestHMD.

edited August 5
    I wonder if those quest numbers listed are with a thin faceplate. I've seen people report that they increased their FoV by as much as 15% by changing out the stock interface. While I definitely get more FoV on my Quest than my Rift CV1 don't think it's 104%. I'll see if I can get my Quest to try.
    edited August 5
    After reading @parsecn post I went back in with my CV1 without a face shield on with my eye lashes touching the screen and I get 90HVOF and 122VFOV. So yea, facial interface is huge.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 345
    Trinity
    I tested Rift S. Fov was 88/118 for me. Without glasses and as close as it goes without pushing with hand.

I was surprised how much super sampling helped. With 1.0 i could read green underline text from 4.5m and with 1.5ss around 7m. Difference was actually huge. I wanted to try 2.0ss, but couldnt with my underpowered computer without crashing.
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 464
    Trinity
    edited August 5
    Rift S, Snellen test, red line 20/20 vision readable at 5 metres with SS at 2.0
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
    Trinity
    I tested red underline text too. 3meters with 1.0ss and 4.25m with ss1.5.
    edited August 5
    Very nice, I'm not surprised by the rift S seeing significantly farther. I can still make out most of the letters at 5 meters with my O+ at 210SS but I wouldn't say it's clear and I would struggle if I just walked in blind and tried to read it without knowing the letters. Why I said 3.5m. At 3.5m I can still make them all out np. I was actually shocked that Rune couldn't see as far with Index though. When I had an Index it was clearer than my O+ for text.

@RuneSR2 - My O+ pixel wise is somewhere between 326% and 328% for a comparable performance hit to CV1 2.0. Why don't you try bumping up your Index to that for fun and see what you get. I know it won't be the same because of how the Index lenses work but I'm curious if it increases your text legibility.

*Edit*
    Went back in for fun and set it to 330% I can read it at 4.25m. It's not sharp but I can make out everything and see the loop still on the P. I find that interesting because the overall image is a bit softer/blurrier but yet the text is clearer.
    Also tried 500% but it looks worse than 330%. 300% looks a bit better than 330% also but I couldn't see any farther than 4.25m.

Also only reason I listed me pushing on my O+ vs without if you haven't read that other thread is because the halo design is crap on it. It doesn't sit against my face snug when I wear it comfortably. Losing several degrees of VFOV because of that bad design. If I wasn't getting a reverb in a month or 2, I would mod it with velcro like others have done to stop light bleed.

edited August 6
    Trying to sum up - reading line 8 (20/20):

Ss 1.0 = 2 meters (Rune CV1)
    Ss 1.0 = 2.5 meters (Saami Rift-S*)
    Ss 2.0 = 3.5 meters (Rune CV1)
    Ss 2.0 = 3.75 meters (Pyroth CV1)
    Ss 2.0 = 5 meters (Lensmandave Rift-S)

Res 100 % = 2.25 meters (Rune Index)
    Res 200 % = 3.25 meters (Rune Index
    Res 200 % = 3.50 meters (Pyroth Odyssey+)
    Res 330 % = 4.25 meters (Pyroth Odyssey+)

(Ss 1.5 = 3 meters - Saami Rift-S*)

*Updated using Saami's post from August 6. 

Looks like I need to eat my words that 200 % is optimal, lol.

The impact of these findings are quite mind-blowing - at least I've heard many times that super sampling does not matter compared to real res - that only true physical res matters. But these results seem to state the opposite - you don't need to care that much for real res if you can super sample high enough. Still Index looks a lot better with no SDE and big fov, but I think I'll appreciate my good old CV1 a bit more when I wear it the next time  B)

I'll check later with Index res 300+ % - feels like I'm late to the show today, but I had to go to work and make some food for the family, sigh  :(   ;)

Hmmm, can't let that Rift-S win, even if I have to use drugs!

Itone Eye Drops Review  Its composition Uses and side effects

edited August 5
    Just saw this - does make sense, so Rift SS 2.0 is pushing a similar amount of pixels as Index res 200 % (18 mill pixels) - which explains quite a lot:

Rift CV1

Source: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30436-pixel-density-supersampling-at-steamvr-oculustraytool-and-oculusdebugtool/

So if Rift-S is set to "Quality" instead of "Performance" (see https://uploadvr.com/rift-s-hidden-resolution-setting/ ), then Rift-S ss 1.0 is 1648×1776 and ss 2.0 is 23,414,784 pixels? - Or close to ss 2.3 using CV1... 

RuneSR2 said:
    Trying to sum up - reading line 8 (20/20):

I'm starting to see the problems with this test, because even focusing on line 8, we need to adhere to extremely strict rules to be able to compare. Depending on my focus, I get values from 3.5 to 4.25 meters. 

To me the easiest and most secure measurement is focusing on the P. At some point you can no longer tell which one of these two Ps you're watching:

When you're no longer 100 % sure which P you see, you've reached your maximum distance. Using Index, and after carefully moving my HMD around to get best possible clarity, I'd say my max is 3.75 meters - and that's using res 200 %, 300 % and 400 %.

In the reading test, maybe I was more like 7 meters away at res 300 % than 6.5 using res 200 %, but that test feels more prone to some variance and subjectivity. Not really sure 300 % added anything compared to 200 %. Maybe one should choose a distance for the reading test, where you're comfortable reading the text aloud for friends and colleagues - so no stuttering or being at the very edge of letter recognition, lol. 

RuneSR2 said:
    Just saw this - does make sense, so Rift SS 2.0 is pushing a similar amount of pixels as Index res 200 % (18 mill pixels) - which explains quite a lot:

Rift CV1

Source: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30436-pixel-density-supersampling-at-steamvr-oculustraytool-and-oculusdebugtool/

So if Rift-S is set to "Quality" instead of "Performance" (see https://uploadvr.com/rift-s-hidden-resolution-setting/ ), then Rift-S ss 1.0 is 1648×1776 and ss 2.0 is 23,414,784 pixels? - Or close to ss 2.3 using CV1... 
    I remember reading somewhere when Index came out that because of how the index lenses are spreading things that Rift-S actually has more in the center for text reading. I’m not sure how true that is but it was said on the Internet so of course it’s true. 
    Trinity
    I did "P" test on Rift S. Using red underline text.
    Max distance where i could see white "inside" P without doubt. 
    1.0ss 2.5 meters
    1.5ss 3.0 meters

edited August 6
    saami81 said:
    1.0ss 2.5 meters
    1.5ss 3.0 meters

Awesome (I updated my post above with your new results) -  if you find the time, it could be interesting with ss 2.0, unless that totally crashes the app - it did one time using CV1 for me, and Rift-S ss 2.0 will be even worse. 

Btw, using SteamVR I have to restart the app every time I change res, but OTT works instantly. 

edited August 6
    SteamVR changes on the fly for me but it takes about 5 seconds for my GPU load to change/the effect to hit for some reason which I've never seen before lol.

I'm a bit confused on the test you're doing. Are you just looking at the P on line 8 until the loop appears filled? Or is there another P I'm missing? 
    Trinity
    pyroth309 said:
    SteamVR changes on the fly for me but it takes about 5 seconds for my GPU load to change/the effect to hit for some reason which I've never seen before lol.

I'm a bit confused on the test you're doing. Are you just looking at the P on line 8 until the loop appears filled? Or is there another P I'm missing? 
    Looking P in line eight. Trying to get max distance where you  candefinetely see white pixels inside of P.
    RuneSR2 said:
    saami81 said:
    1.0ss 2.5 meters
    1.5ss 3.0 meters

Awesome (I updated my post above with your new results) -  if you find the time, it could be interesting with ss 2.0, unless that totally crashes the app - it did one time using CV1 for me, and Rift-S ss 2.0 will be even worse. 

Btw, using SteamVR I have to restart the app every time I change res, but OTT works instantly. 
    I tried with 1.7ss, but no difference to me. Not sure, if it is my own eyesight or just the resolution of Rift S.
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 464
    Trinity
    OK, using the new RuneSR2 'P' test I'm getting 4.25 metres at 2.0 ss on my Rift S. I'm seeing the white 'hole' in the P. Setting ss to 2.5 I can get back to 4.5 metres. At this setting I can clearly 'read' the next line too.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,309 Volunteer Moderator
    I don't suppose there's an option to have different letter charts is there?
    The brain's an amazing thing and can fill in information if it knows what it is. Eye examiners tend to have rotating charts or at least 2 they can switch between.

A random letter generator for each test would be perfect.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • Nekto2Nekto2 Posts: 359
    Trinity
    edited August 6
    @RuneSR2 said:
    Again CV1 profited from moving my head slightly to remove the SDE, while you don't need to do that with the Index.
    You are increasing resolution by moving your head. Your mind will restore correct image with better resolution then it is actually. So to be correct you should move or do not move your head both in CV1 and Index.
    Still it depends on frequency and if render is subpixel correct or not (it seems that Index/Vive is not delivering correct 90Hz frequency even if it shows that it is 90Hz, you could test it move inside a game with your avatar casting a shadow and you will see 2 copies of your shadow so it is 45Hz instead of 90Hz).

Same way you could see through a fence or any net and your mind will reconstruct original image.

Next test is ...  use only 1 of your eyes :)
    Both eyes will double resolution (but only if subpixel rendering is different for every eye, if you just reuse left image for right eye you will not get same clarity).

And... you could try to rotate your HMD 45 degrees (pentile pixels will help with vertical/horisontal lines clarity).

Anyway CV1 is greatest for it's time and even more! :sunglasses:

ps. is it possible that LCD will smooth subpixels while moving but oled will not? 
    edited August 6
    Alright doing the "P" test -

SteamVR 100% SS -a little past 2 meters.

210% SS (max clarity) - 3M

330% SS - Also near 3 meters. Text is a bit more legible but the P fills in near the same spot as 210. As I mentioned, the blur is actually higher than at 210% but for whatever reason the text is a little easier to make out for me. Probably just a quirk at this level because it rapidly degrades when I go higher. 
    edited August 6
    Managed to get my Quest home from work. So default settings with Quest Link Cable-

Doing the "P" test I can only see to 2 meters.
    With default faceplate/pads - HFOV 100 VFOV 114

Bumped Encode Resolution to 2912, Distortion Curvature low and 1.2SS  gets me ... 2.25 meters lol.

No face shield I get 106 HFoV and 120VFOV so yea, much wider FoV than CV1.

*edit* Tried it over virtual desktop, set streaming quality to insane and I can see out to about 2.5m. Looks a bit better.

edited August 6
    Ok, with today's new and updated results, we've got:

Snellen Test (Visual acuity)

RIFT CV1
    Ss 1.0 = 2 meters (Rune)
    Ss 2.0 = 3.5 meters (Rune - original faceplate)

RIFT-S
    Ss 1.0 = 2.5 meters (Saami)
    Ss 1.5 = 3.0 meters (Saami)
    Ss 1.7 = 3.0 meters (Saami)
    Ss 2.0 = 4.25 meters (Lensmandave)
    Ss 2.5 = 4.50 meters (Lensmandave)

QUEST
    Ss 1.0 = 2 meters (Pyroth)
    Ss 1.2 = 2.25 - 2.5 meters (Pyroth, latter = "insane streaming quality" using Virtual Desktop)

INDEX
    Res 100 % = 2.25 meters (Rune)
    Res 200 % = 3.50 meters (Rune) 
    Res 300 % = 3.50 - 3.75 meters (Rune)
    Res 400 % = 3.50 - 3.75 meters (Rune)

ODYSSEY+
    Res 100 % = 2.00 - 2.25 meters (Pyroth)
    Res 210 % = 3.00 meters (Pyroth)
    Res 330 % = 3.00 - 3.25 meters (Pyroth)

Let me know if you find any errors!  o:)

Hmmm, I bet there're some Reverb owners lurking in the nearby bushes, but they remain hidden so far ;)

Nekto2 said:
    @RuneSR2 said:
    Again CV1 profited from moving my head slightly to remove the SDE, while you don't need to do that with the Index.
    You are increasing resolution by moving your head. 

I think that's spot on - for long I've been thinking that ss 2.0 is in the flow - and harder to see when you do not move. But I constantly move when playing Asgard's Wrath, Stormland, Lone Echo etc. That's why these games look so awesome when you move and dynamically experience the world. SDE is also greatly diminished when constantly moving.