cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the current status of Revive with The Valve Index?

Glidos
Explorer
I'm new to VR. I only a few days ago discovered Revive exists. I'd like to play Lone echo (who wouldn't). I see a fair number of reports of success, but nothing recent. I know things change. For all I know, Revive was some wonderful thing that now no longer works with the latest versions of everything. Can anyone help me out and say if they are currently using Revive with the Valve Index?
14 REPLIES 14

pyroth309
Visionary
It works albeit with some tweaking of the graphic settings to get it to your liking. I've played it on Revive this month but with the Odyssey+. If you have a strong PC it shouldn't be a problem because you have to run Revive on top of the game. You can find revive here.  https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

Perhaps @RuneSR2 can share his experience with index specifically.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I'd be happy to. I made this list some time ago, but I think it still represents most games just fine:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cm1rak/list_of_revived_oculus_games_working_perfectly/?...

Lone Echo works fine, but no ASW 2.0, 80% more pixels than CV1 and you need MSAA instead of TAA, so you need a beefy gpu. Maybe I'm just an easily annoyed old geezer with razor-sharp vision, lol - many enjoy Lone Echo using Revive, but that's because they don't know how it looks and plays using CV1 ss 2.0 (all setting maxed out, but with TAA, no MSAA)  B)

For now I'm planning on using CV1 ss 2.0 for Lone Echo 2 and not the Index, but let's see how that turns out...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Glidos
Explorer
Awsome! Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I have a RTX 2080 Ti, so should have the grunt. I'd better give it a try then.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Glidos said:

Awsome! Thank you, I appreciate your advice. I have a RTX 2080 Ti, so should have the grunt. I'd better give it a try then.

Lone Echo looks awesome with Index res 200% and 4xMSAA - you can try to add TAA if the jaggies are too annoying. I'm down to like 35 fps using those settings, interesting what you'll experience using 2080 Ti. But you can lower settings, maybe res 150% is ok too. Maybe enabling motion smoothing can help too. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

MowTin
Expert Trustee

RuneSR2 said:

I'd be happy to. I made this list some time ago, but I think it still represents most games just fine:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/cm1rak/list_of_revived_oculus_games_working_perfectly/?...

Lone Echo works fine, but no ASW 2.0, 80% more pixels than CV1 and you need MSAA instead of TAA, so you need a beefy gpu. Maybe I'm just an easily annoyed old geezer with razor-sharp vision, lol - many enjoy Lone Echo using Revive, but that's because they don't know how it looks and plays using CV1 ss 2.0 (all setting maxed out, but with TAA, no MSAA)  B)

For now I'm planning on using CV1 ss 2.0 for Lone Echo 2 and not the Index, but let's see how that turns out...

No amount of SS or MSAA gets you Rift S or Index clarity. SS can only get you so far. It can't compete with having more pixels. 

Also, on the cv1 using a 1080ti @ pixel density 2.0, I could not hold 90fsp. I just love that ultra smooth feeling you get when there's no ASW / reprojection happening. 

I haven't used Revive much but I tried it with Robo Recall and Defector and it worked well. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

MowTin said:

RuneSR2 said:

No amount of SS or MSAA gets you Rift S or Index clarity. SS can only get you so far. It can't compete with having more pixels. 

Also, on the cv1 using a 1080ti @ pixel density 2.0, I could not hold 90fsp. I just love that ultra smooth feeling you get when there's no ASW / reprojection happening. 

I haven't used Revive much but I tried it with Robo Recall and Defector and it worked well. 

Yes, but using Index many textures even in Lone Echo look more low-res - and it's easy to see that texture quality generally is way lower than Alyx, Boneworks and even Room VR. But the CV1 fools your brain - now low-res textures look (much) better. Try to check out the bannister/handrail when you enter the first building in Kobold - looks awful low-res with the Index res 200%, but looks awesome with the CV1 SDE. Like scanlines in old arcade games.  

Sure, the future belongs to games with ultra-high-res textures like Boneworks and Alyx, but my back-log is filled with old VR games with low-res textures that often look best (close-up) using CV1. 

I think Defector looks so much better using CV1 ss 2.0 too - it's very blurry using Index, probably due to build-in TAA. Stormland might win using Index res 200 %, ultra settings and SMAA - when I get that RTX 5090 Ti  B)

Hmm, my post is starting to sound like I don't like Revive. But I do - it's perfect. Often beyond perfect - meaning I can play games like Lucky's Tale, Trover, Moss, Mervils, Mini Motor Racing X, Shooty Skies Overdrive, Pistol Whip and tons of bright non-TAA games extremely much better than I ever could using CV1 ss 2.0. And in those game I get solid 90 fps using Index res 200 % (ok, not Trover and Moss). Using Index and Revive many games play way better than using any Oculus hmd - but I also have several games where I still prefer CV1 ss 2.0 - due to TAA, ASW 2.0, oled and even occasionally the SDE. Using Revive and new high-res lcd hmds with tons of subpixels, all flaws will be revealed, but I don't mind using a bit of make-up here and there, lol. 

Glidos
Explorer
Well, Revive seems to be one of those things that just works. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so easy. And Lone Echo is awesome. Highly addictive (I must try to spend a little time in the real world... just to eat if nothing else).

As for settings, I'm very confused. Most don't seem to do anything. Certainly most of the SteamVR settings: I changed the main resolution and the extra per-game scaling factor and had something like 4000x4500 and all seemed fine, so I guess that wasn't really doing anything. The only setting that seemed to have any effect was Legacy Reprojection Mode. That made everything jerky when I moved my head around in complex scenes.

The in-game settings didn't seem to make a huge difference either. Resolution 1.0 and 2.0 didn't look that different. I did have resolution auto selected as well, so perhaps one overrides the other?

I think turning off taa and selecting x4 ss did help: the rocks in Saturn's rings looked sharper. And turning both off definitley caused more jaggies.

When outside, close up to a complex scene and looking at that scene, motion becomes jerky. I haven't found how to view frame rate, so I'm not sure what the frame rate was dropping to. What I find very strange is that, even when that happens, moving my head gives perfectly smooth immediate results. It's only the movement of my character or other items in the scene that cause judder, not my head movements. Still, the judder isn't that bad in any case and mostly I can ignore it. Fiddling with settings didn't seem to change the judder either.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Glidos said:

Well, Revive seems to be one of those things that just works. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so easy. And Lone Echo is awesome. Highly addictive (I must try to spend a little time in the real world... just to eat if nothing else).

As for settings, I'm very confused. Most don't seem to do anything. Certainly most of the SteamVR settings: I changed the main resolution and the extra per-game scaling factor and had something like 4000x4500 and all seemed fine, so I guess that wasn't really doing anything. The only setting that seemed to have any effect was Legacy Reprojection Mode. That made everything jerky when I moved my head around in complex scenes.

The in-game settings didn't seem to make a huge difference either. Resolution 1.0 and 2.0 didn't look that different. I did have resolution auto selected as well, so perhaps one overrides the other?

I think turning off taa and selecting x4 ss did help: the rocks in Saturn's rings looked sharper. And turning both off definitley caused more jaggies.

When outside, close up to a complex scene and looking at that scene, motion becomes jerky. I haven't found how to view frame rate, so I'm not sure what the frame rate was dropping to. What I find very strange is that, even when that happens, moving my head gives perfectly smooth immediate results. It's only the movement of my character or other items in the scene that cause judder, not my head movements. Still, the judder isn't that bad in any case and mostly I can ignore it. Fiddling with settings didn't seem to change the judder either.

Using my rig and Revive, in-game resolution does not work, you have to set res in SteamVR for Lone Echo. Changing SteamVR res does not take effect before I restart the game.
Use the app FpsVR to check fps. I guess the game is playable using Index res 150% and 4xMSAA, but I get the judder too.

Using CV1 ss 2.0 (now the in-game res works), TAA and no MSAA all jaggies are gone, textures are really sharp and detailed, and fps feel like solid 90 due to asw 2.0, I get no judder. So there's that 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Glidos said:

Using my rig and Revive, in-game resolution does not work, you have to set res in SteamVR for Lone Echo. Changing SteamVR res does not take effect before I restart the game.
Use the app FpsVR to check fps. I guess the game is playable using Index res 150% and 4xMSAA, but I get the judder too.

Using CV1 ss 2.0 (now the in-game res works), TAA and no MSAA all jaggies are gone, textures are really sharp and detailed, and fps feel like solid 90 due to asw 2.0, I get no judder. So there's that 😉

I guess some of your preferences for the outdated CV1 does not speak real highly of the Index?
I could not imagine going back to CV1 from my Rift S. I would have thought Index would have been even better.