New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How safe my VR headset will be?

PacoradonPacoradon Posts: 7
NerveGear
Howdy! I just got Oculus Rift S. I was wondering about safety of my lenses and VR headset. I have bright celling light. Is it safe to use VR headset under bright celling lamp? Isn't it dangerous to my VR headset?
Tagged:

Comments

• PacoradonPacoradon Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Direct sunlight can damage the display screen by focusing the light through the lenses, so you should avoid leaving the headset near a window for example. Normal domestic lighting isn't likely to cause the same sort of problems. It's a good idea to store your headset with a dust cover over it anyway :)

So playing under bright white celling lamp for like 7+ hours is safe?

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 427
    Trinity
    You're fine playing for as long as you like under any lighting you choose. Just keep the headset away from direct sunlight when you aren't using it.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • Pixie40Pixie40 Posts: 506
    Neo
    Highly recommended (by me at least) to also put a cover over the lenses when it's not in use. Before I bought my Kiwi interface cover and protective lens cover kit I was using the cardboard cover the Quest came with.
  • chadblairechadblaire Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    i have returned my unit, rift-s, twice due to broken pixels. the second time it might have also had sun damage after the pixel broke. the sun damage looked like a lunar eclipse with a black circle surrounded by a light corona ring. on both eyes. my guarantee has run out so i am hoping. btw, they want the orig box to return.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,411 Valuable Player
    edited August 28
    Direct sunlight can damage the display screen by focusing the light through the lenses, so you should avoid leaving the headset near a window for example. Normal domestic lighting isn't likely to cause the same sort of problems. It's a good idea to store your headset with a dust cover over it anyway :)

Agreed, direct sunlight might be like 100k lux (10k and more inside a living room where direct sunlight passes through a window), but even really close to a light bulb it's probably hard to get more than about 6k lux. 1 meter (3 feet) away from a lamp it may be like 100-200 lux. Something like that - I would not worry about lighting from a lamp. 

I have some art behind anti-uv museum glass, I check for lux exposure often using my luxmeter :blush:

Question about light intensity in HDRP - Unity Forum

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"