cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VorpX in 2020 still worth it?

comatrix
Protege
I read a lot and watched several videos, even here in this forum, I know it's hard to describe VorpX, like VR, you need to prove it to really understand, but I would like to hear also your opinions about VorpX, do you think this program still worth it in 2020?
I know, I have not to expect the same level of immersion of the VR based games, unless exceptions, but I would like to play, for example, Resident Evil 2 Remake in VR version and it seems it works pretty good, as I said it's just an example, but there are other several games I would like to Re-Play in VR mode, also because none thought about using the VR headset with classic Keyboard and Mouse, I know it's not immersive as using the VR controllers, but in some games A LOT better Keyboard and Mouse (e.g Serious Sam).
Thanks in advance.

P.S. I just started this thread, simply because there are not VorpX Demo or refund options in case I don't like it, ok they are only 40$ and I will be not ruined, but it's a shame to spend money for something and after don't use it, it's a waste of money...
  • VR Headset Oculus Rift S
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 - PSU Corsair HX 1.000i Platinum Modular
  • Fans Hub DeepCool FH-10 - Case Cooler Master H500P Mesh Option
  • Airflow 2x240mm in, 4x120mm out, 2x135mm CPU, 3x85mm GPU, 2x35mm MB
11 REPLIES 11

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Unfortunately, the case with VorpX is that the only possible way you can know if it's worth it or not is to buy it.

There are so many opinions for and against. I bought it before my CV1 had even arrived and I did a lot with it in the first two years, when a lot of configging and tweaking was necessary - but funnily enough, since he made everything so much easier, I've barely used it. That's just cos I have so many other titles to keep me occupied, though.

I would say to look down the list of officially supported games - perhaps have a quick perusal of the VorpX forums and if you think you'll get $40 playtime out of it, go for it.

I actually used it mostly with non-supported games like 7 Days To Die and Empyrion. Half-Life 2 looked great with VorpX, but I got very sick trying to play it. Strangely, it's supposed to work well with rFactor and Simbim racing games, but I've not managed to get it to hook them. IL-2 1946 worked okay, but was far from good. Far Cry 3 worked quite well, too.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

pyroth309
Visionary
I got my 40 bucks out of it but like JD-UK i haven't  used it in a long time. Mostly for performance reasons in a lot of games. Maybe I'll play with it again when I get a new GPU.

comatrix
Protege

JD-UK said:

Unfortunately, the case with VorpX is that the only possible way you can know if it's worth it or not is to buy it.

There are so many opinions for and against. I bought it before my CV1 had even arrived and I did a lot with it in the first two years, when a lot of configging and tweaking was necessary - but funnily enough, since he made everything so much easier, I've barely used it. That's just cos I have so many other titles to keep me occupied, though.

I would say to look down the list of officially supported games - perhaps have a quick perusal of the VorpX forums and if you think you'll get $40 playtime out of it, go for it.

I actually used it mostly with non-supported games like 7 Days To Die and Empyrion. Half-Life 2 looked great with VorpX, but I got very sick trying to play it. Strangely, it's supposed to work well with rFactor and Simbim racing games, but I've not managed to get it to hook them. IL-2 1946 worked okay, but was far from good. Far Cry 3 worked quite well, too.

pyroth309 said:

I got my 40 bucks out of it but like JD-UK i haven't  used it in a long time. Mostly for performance reasons in a lot of games. Maybe I'll play with it again when I get a new GPU.

Thanks for sharing your experience
  • VR Headset Oculus Rift S
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 - PSU Corsair HX 1.000i Platinum Modular
  • Fans Hub DeepCool FH-10 - Case Cooler Master H500P Mesh Option
  • Airflow 2x240mm in, 4x120mm out, 2x135mm CPU, 3x85mm GPU, 2x35mm MB

edmg
Trustee
I put hundreds of hours into Skyrim with VorpX, but now there's Skyrim VR there's less reason to do that unless you want to use mods that aren't supported on the VR version. I think there are enough high-end VR games these days that it's far less useful than it used to be.

I also got sick playing HL2 in VR. Not sure why as I was fine with Skyrim after I fiddled with a few settings to make it smoother.

TheTonaZ
Expert Protege
naturally vorpx is not REAL 3D VR. 
It's a waste of money and time. Skip it.

edmg
Trustee
Many games run as real 3D in VorpX. But they typically require you to use a mouse and keyboard or Xbox controller instead of the VR controllers.

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
To build of edmg's comment, I have VorpX and don't usually use it because if I'm in VR I am used to seeing my hands and having them tracked. When I play with a controller it doesn't feel like real VR, except for subnautica.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, it's weird that I get sick whenever (at least I can't remember any time I didn't) I use keyboard and mouse in VR.
I've been having controller issues in No Man's Sky for a while, now, and I need to save my game before I exit else lose possibly a lot of gameplay - so I have to use K&M and even in that it makes me feel really sick very quickly.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

camf33
Explorer
Vorpx is just as good as the use you make of it, how much time you are willing to spend tweaking around and experimenting with every possible combination.  IMO, only a few do come to close to full VR where you can look around and have the mouse independently, i.e. Half Life.  Other games, if not the majority are a disaster and almost unplayable. The Cinema mode is advertised as this nice big screen where you can play your games but doesn't that defeats the purpose of getting Vorpx in the first place to get somewhat of a direct VR feel for games that will never get it.  I think the Devs have abandoned that project or if they are still working on it they have done a poor job at it with their latest work, after all I do not see this product to be a stream of income for these guys, especially as native VR continues to evolve this will be another forgotten app. If you don't mind shelling the $40 to get 2-3 games working and perhaps experimenting with others go right ahead.  You do get to learn some of the VR terminology and will make you appreciate more the work that gets put into real VR.