cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.0 not detected CV1 headset AGAIN, REALLY OCULUS?

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege
ok, before stating the obvious, yes I know this issue has existed for absolutely ages now, pretty much since they added new oculus home.

sometimes I get this issue and it seems to be more and more each update, either unplugging the usb 3.0 and replugging or simply disabling and re enabling the usb 3 controller in device manager fixes the issue, a pain, clearly an issue with oculus software as every other device including sensors detect fine.

Now though, no matter if I just have a power cable and headset plugged in, it still only detects as usb 2.

WHAT THE HELL OCULUS.

clearly nothing but the oculus program has been updated, this is taking the piss now, I've done everything I can my end, both in and out PTC, I need to use my headset tonight and now I'm spending my day trying to get it back working.
10 REPLIES 10

MetaQuestSupport
Community Manager
Community Manager
Hey @Mazda_Ron can you gather your diagnostic logs with the steps here, and create a ticket here so that we can look into assisting with your issue. - Principe
If you're the author of a thread, remember to mark a reply as the Accepted Solution to help others find answers!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey @Mazda_Ron, let me jump you ahead to the end of your discussion with Oculus support. They will:
  • tell you to try a different computer
  • tell you to update your video drivers
  • Blame your USB bandwidth
  • Tell you to reinstall Windows

In other words, blame everything else except their software.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
My CV1 seems to be working flawlessly - I'm using a usb-c 3.1 hub with switches, might be giving the CV1 a hard time, but it seems CV1 does not care...  The usb-c port is VR-Ready though... So nothing wrong with the hardware or software in general - otherwise countless of CV1 owners would be complaining. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's true. If you look at every other post in this forum for every other problem on every headset, 100% of the owners experience those problems every time. Otherwise there couldn't possibly be an issue.

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
My CV1 is also working fine...as it has for the past few years...even with detecting as USB 2.0 for the past few driver updates. This detection should not affect the performance...except maybe in extreme cases...where drivers are way out of date.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

Mazda_Ron
Expert Protege
it's back to being tempermental again, sometimes it'll boot up with usb 3, sometimes not, sometimes I can unplug and replug to fix, sometimes not.

If this is not a software issue, why is it that I can force it to bug back to usb 2 by simply stopping the oculus service? I don't touch the cables, it can be working fine and again like I've experienced so many times, its pot luck if OCULUS is detecting usb 3, not windows, not the ports, OCULUS.

I can also tell you that running the headset in oculus 2.0 detection you will lose performance, you only need to see the in headset performance HUD to figure that out, try something cpu intensive in the background like recording or streaming with obs, the difference is sitting in asw or not.

I'd like to add that even with a powered hub, tested on every single mobo port and usb 3 card port, it still has the same detection issues in OCULUS software, windows is seeing it just fine, if I run the oculus setup it will see it just fine, go into devices and click on headset and its complete luck if its actually recognised as usb 3.

I'm getting so pissed off with it I'm now debating switching over to another headset that isn't oculus, I've gone years without having to so much as look at the cable, now its 9/10 times I have to disable and re enable it in device manager or if that doesn't work, crawl under the desk and unplug and replug everywhere in the hope it picks it up, when it doesn't its a case of restarting computer and trying it all again, its taking the piss that it's been like this forever now, if you don't have issues, great, if you don't notice the performance loss in your use case, great, but don't suggest the issue doesn't exist, there are countless threads on this across both cv1 and rift s, all variations of hardware specs, its just the shitty software.

parsecn
Heroic Explorer
Hey @Mazda_Ron just roll back to/install Build 16 of Oculus software and block all further updates. They're not pushing anything useful for CV1 anyway.

See my comment here for instruction: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/749867#Comment_749867

I've been on 16 since April with no issues. 

Richooal
Consultant

parsecn said:

Hey @Mazda_Ron just roll back to/install Build 16 of Oculus software and block all further updates. They're not pushing anything useful for CV1 anyway.

See my comment here for instruction: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/749867#Comment_749867

I've been on 16 since April with no issues. 

You were already on V16 and blocked further updates. That's okay for you.
How do you propose rolling back to V16? Where would you get V16? (or any other old version?)
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

parsecn
Heroic Explorer

Richooal said:
You were already on V16 and blocked further updates. That's okay for you.
How do you propose rolling back to V16? Where would you get V16? (or any other old version?)

I was wondering the same. A cursory browse of Oculus developers resources including legacy downloads doesn't have them available. I presume a user on any build could strip \Staging of Home2-WindowsNoEditor.pak, zip all contents and share via reddit etc. Build 16 comes in at just under 400mb (or 6GB with inclusion of the above file). 

I certainly haven't tested this, but I gather it would be as simple as
  • Stop OVR Service Launcher, OVRServer_x64.exe
  • rename installed build \Staging to \bak.Staging
  • unzip build 16 \Staging to C:\Program Files\Oculus\
  • copy over Home2-WindowsNoEditor.pak from \bak.Staging to \Staging (location Staging\oculus-worlds\Home2\Content\Paks)
  • If corruption occurs at launch (between builds and Home2-WindowsNoEditor.pak) the user may optionally need to apply OculusHomeless 1.0 or utlise OTT to disable Oculus Home and/or remove Home2-WindowsNoEditor.pak in entirety to retry. 
  • At successful launch, Oculus will prompt a new version of Oculus software is available. Cancel immediately and quit Oculus software. 
  • Follow my instruction to block further updates here: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/749867#Comment_749867
It would be trial and error and might require comparison of runtimes like OculusClient.exe, etc. but I doubt it's actually difficult to make this work.