New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,489 Valuable Player
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 561
    Neo
    October 2020 is odd date for the new policy to take affect (with respect to NEW accounts). I wonder if that means the new Quest will release Q4 2020.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,717 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    Interesting strategy.
    - Stay silent about future products while other companies are releasing new devices.
    - Zero public roadmap.
    - Announce a change 2.5 years in the future that they know will alienate a segment of their existing customers.

But as they say in the announcement:
    This information is also used to show you personalized content, including ads. For example, we might show you recommendations for Oculus Events you might like, ads about Facebook apps and technologies, or ads from developers for their VR apps.
    Yes, that's what VR has been lacking all this time, ads for facebook apps.

Well stated @kojack , if not now sadly a little obvious.

While many defended the situation and stated that it would never come to this, we now enter a some 24-month period for the majority of the original oculus community to see if they stand by adopting the new rules or abandon the platform. 

Those that said this would never happen, and it would be "...stupid of them to alienate the VR community...", have either left this forum or have tried to airbrush their past rhetoric. 

To be frank, many of us have been waiting for this day where it would define the height of the 'Wall Garden' being built. Obviously after the false dawn with the GearVR ecosystem, it was obvious the next attempt would be substantial. As many have said that were attacked on this forum - its obviously about Facebook and their $3b investment, not about virtual reality!

So enjoy your....

-867 days
    -20,808 hours
    -1,248,480 minutes
    -74,908,800 seconds

Or you can create one of those great fake Facebook accounts that everyone is now feverishly talking about on the Oculus Facebook Dev forum, and test if Oculus will plan to 'Brick' headsets!
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,994 Valuable Player
    ShocksVR said:
    October 2020 is odd date for the new policy to take affect (with respect to NEW accounts). I wonder if that means the new Quest will release Q4 2020.

And Horizon?
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,994 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    kojack said:
    Interesting strategy.
    - Stay silent about future products while other companies are releasing new devices.
    - Zero public roadmap.
    - Announce a change 2.5 years in the future that they know will alienate a segment of their existing customers.

But as they say in the announcement:
    This information is also used to show you personalized content, including ads. For example, we might show you recommendations for Oculus Events you might like, ads about Facebook apps and technologies, or ads from developers for their VR apps.
    Yes, that's what VR has been lacking all this time, ads for facebook apps.

Or you can create one of those great fake Facebook accounts that everyone is now feverishly talking about on the Oculus Facebook Dev forum, and test if Oculus will plan to 'Brick' headsets!

As I stated at the time - I tried it, next time I logged in, well, I couldn't!
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,770 Volunteer Moderator
    I would have thought that a better strategy would be announce a new product, get a heap of hype and pump people up for more stuff like suggesting maybe a halfdome is on the way in the future. Then while people are hyped, let them know the new devices need facebook accounts.
    Instead, they've started with a negative thing. That's all people are going to be talking about until the next product is announced.

So right now we have two kinds of people:
    - those who are fine with facebook accounts, this change is entirely neutral (they gain nothing)
    - those who don't like facebook accounts, they have nothing positive to look forward to to counteract this besides a mobile product leak with no concrete details.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
    Hiro_Protag0nist said:
    As I stated at the time - I tried it, next time I logged in, well, I couldn't!

Yeah, I know but there are some posters on those forums that were adamant this was no "biggie" only for those posters to now seem to have vanished - like so many from this forum!
    Neo
    edited August 18
    Whoops . Wrong thread.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,052 Valuable Player

Well they have been doing a good job of alienating some of their higher end PC-VR users, and now looks like they will be alienating even more on top of that with this dumb move.
    Facebook has certainly been getting some bad press of late as well, moves like this don't help.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Neo
    edited August 18
    Question -

If I currently have a 'pseudo' FB account linked to my Oculus account, should I instead connect my REAL FB account now before FB merges our Oculus account to our FB account.  The way it's worded, the merging of accounts starting in October may be a permanent thing.

I'm worried if my Oculus account becomes permanently merged to my pseduo FB account, and thus if my pseudo account is ever deactivated then I lose everything.

Oculus Rift S
  • jabjab Posts: 272
    Nexus 6
    What is the main source of income for facebook you say? Targeted ads using your personal information you say?

So once the noise settles down a bit, the next step from FB should be obvious. Have your cake and eat it too is the preferred business choice available to those lucky few who successfully builds a walled garden with total control over both hardware and software.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,817 Valuable Player
    I wonder when the forums will require a Facebook account to login.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,052 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I would not be surprised...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • KareshiKareshi Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    Considering they don't read these for shit, specially in the PTC and public release notes, if they did force that, it would be the biggest slap in the face lol
  • wuzpwuzp Posts: 516
    Neo
    edited August 18
    When you log in with a Facebook account, you can still create or maintain a unique VR profile. And if you don’t want your Oculus friends to find you by your Facebook name, they won’t—just make it visible to ‘Only Me’ in your Oculus settings. You can also choose what information about your VR activity you post to your Facebook profile or timeline, either by giving permission to post or by updating your settings. And we plan to introduce the ability for multiple users to log into the same device using their own Facebook account, so
    1. You can wall your VR friends list off from your Facefook friends list.
    2. You can keep your VR profile separate from your Facefook profile.
    3. The headset will support multiple users.
    A note about #3... Sneaky way of forcing a family to purchase multiple copies of a game for each person's Facefook account???
    wuzp said:

Are you sure that will be the same after the October date?
    Neo
    kevinw729 said:
    wuzp said:

Are you sure that will be the same after the October date?
    Read their own words.  The OP only posted the "bad stuff."

• skytaleskytale Posts: 11
    Brain Burst
    edited August 18
    these are absolutely lame arguments. it works great without facebook, nobody needs it. "will make it easier to find, connect, and play with friends" what if I have no fakebook friends?

in the background there are two accounts anyway, everyone who knows about the concept of "openid connect" knows for sure that a "oculus user" will always be there in background! you just remove the possibility to login directly out of egoism.

really sad, this is an argument to replace oculus in the future...
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,489 Valuable Player
    Btw, if Quest 2 arrives soon, then a Facebook account will be needed:

All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,234 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 18
    RedRizla said:
    Presumably it has to be on or before Jan 1st 2023 for everyone including existing users if they're dropping support for Oculus accounts then, unless they see this forum as ring-fenced from the app and device login. I don't see why they would ring-fence it though.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
    Neo

21. Modifications to the Services
    Oculus reserves the right to change, suspend, remove, discontinue or disable access to the Services or particular portions thereof, at any time and without notice. In no event will Oculus be liable for the removal of or disabling of access to any portion or feature of the Services.

Neo
    edited August 18
    RedRizla said:
    Presumably it has to be on or before Jan 1st 2023 for everyone including existing users if they're dropping support for Oculus accounts then, unless they see this forum as ring-fenced from the app and device login. I don't see why they would ring-fence it though.

It states in their blogpost that existing Oculus headsets will still work without a FB account, even after the 2023 deadline. So Oculus account legacy support will probably still be around.

Starting In January 2023:

• We will end support for Oculus accounts.

• If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account.

• We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased.

Oculus Rift S
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,998 Volunteer Moderator
    ShocksVR said:
    Question -

If I currently have a 'pseudo' FB account linked to my Oculus account, should I instead connect my REAL FB account now before FB merges our Oculus account to our FB account.  The way it's worded, the merging of accounts starting in October may be a permanent thing.

I'm worried if my Oculus account becomes permanently merged to my pseduo FB account, and thus if my pseudo account is ever deactivated then I lose everything.

According to the full FAQ, the "merging" of accounts will  be permanent, unlike the current "linking" of accounts. Best be sure your FB account is in order before making that commitment.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0