cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook account required for new Oculus hmd users Oct 2020 - existing users can wait to Jan 2023

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
More here:

https://www.oculus.com/blog/a-single-way-to-log-into-oculus-and-unlock-social-features/

Today, we’re announcing some important updates to how people log into Oculus devices, while still keeping their VR profile. Starting in October 2020:

• Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

• If you’re an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you’ll have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

• If you’re an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

After January 1, 2023, we will end support for Oculus accounts. If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account. We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though we expect some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they include features that require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased. All future unreleased Oculus devices will require a Facebook account, even if you already have an Oculus account.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

1,250 REPLIES 1,250

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well I guess we saw that coming eventually.
I personally do not like it.
Hoping my Reverb G2 fills the bill for me. Will see what the future holds for Oculus...

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
The foot shooting begins! 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just another sign their primary focus is on social.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Interesting strategy.
- Stay silent about future products while other companies are releasing new devices.
- Zero public roadmap.
- Announce a change 2.5 years in the future that they know will alienate a segment of their existing customers.

But as they say in the announcement:
This information is also used to show you personalized content,
including ads. For example, we might show you recommendations for Oculus
Events you might like, ads about Facebook apps and technologies, or ads
from developers for their VR apps.
Yes, that's what VR has been lacking all this time, ads for facebook apps.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

ShocksVR
Superstar
October 2020 is odd date for the new policy to take affect (with respect to NEW accounts). I wonder if that means the new Quest will release Q4 2020.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kojack said:

Interesting strategy.
- Stay silent about future products while other companies are releasing new devices.
- Zero public roadmap.
- Announce a change 2.5 years in the future that they know will alienate a segment of their existing customers.

Well stated @kojack , if not now sadly a little obvious.

While many defended the situation and stated that it would never come to this, we now enter a some 24-month period for the majority of the original oculus community to see if they stand by adopting the new rules or abandon the platform. 

Those that said this would never happen, and it would be "...stupid of them to alienate the VR community...", have either left this forum or have tried to airbrush their past rhetoric. 

To be frank, many of us have been waiting for this day where it would define the height of the 'Wall Garden' being built. Obviously after the false dawn with the GearVR ecosystem, it was obvious the next attempt would be substantial. As many have said that were attacked on this forum - its obviously about Facebook and their $3b investment, not about virtual reality!

So enjoy your....

-867 days
-20,808 hours
-1,248,480 minutes
-74,908,800 seconds

Or you can create one of those great fake Facebook accounts that everyone is now feverishly talking about on the Oculus Facebook Dev forum, and test if Oculus will plan to 'Brick' headsets!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

ShocksVR said:

October 2020 is odd date for the new policy to take affect (with respect to NEW accounts). I wonder if that means the new Quest will release Q4 2020.

And Horizon?
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kevinw729 said:

kojack said:

Interesting strategy.
- Zero public roadmap.

Or you can create one of those great fake Facebook accounts that everyone is now feverishly talking about on the Oculus Facebook Dev forum, and test if Oculus will plan to 'Brick' headsets!

As I stated at the time - I tried it, next time I logged in, well, I couldn't!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kojack
MVP
MVP
I would have thought that a better strategy would be announce a new product, get a heap of hype and pump people up for more stuff like suggesting maybe a halfdome is on the way in the future. Then while people are hyped, let them know the new devices need facebook accounts.
Instead, they've started with a negative thing. That's all people are going to be talking about until the next product is announced.

So right now we have two kinds of people:
- those who are fine with facebook accounts, this change is entirely neutral (they gain nothing)
- those who don't like facebook accounts, they have nothing positive to look forward to to counteract this besides a mobile product leak with no concrete details.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2