New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 20.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 295 Oculus Staff
Recording in-VR
  • We’ve improved in-VR recording by adding an image stabilization feature. This enhancement will reduce unwanted motion that can happen when looking around in-VR while streaming.
Tracking
  • We’ve enhanced rendering stability for Rift S to improve head tracking.
Oculus Link
  • Users are now able to hide the ‘Activate Oculus Link’ modal. You can always enable Oculus Link from the Settings > Quick Actions menu.

Comments

• M4G1C_M45T3RM4G1C_M45T3R Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Zakoupil jsem tedy oculus quest, protože sem zrovna nemohl super počítač, ale aby jsi zábavu pobavil i doma tak, že jsem ho koupil.Ale mnou zakoupenou hru Beat Saber se tady přes kabel do PC jevíš, že ji nemám zakoupenou.Už to někomu pomůžeil? se vůbec přenést na co jsem zakoupil na quest do pc ?? dík za odpověděděř
  • SirgabalotSirgabalot Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Zakoupil jsem tedy oculus quest, protože sem zrovna nemohl super počítač, ale aby jsi zábavu pobavil i doma tak, že jsem ho koupil.Ale mnou zakoupenou hru Beat Saber se tady přes kabel do PC jevíš, že ji nemám zakoupenou.Už to někomu pomůžeil? se vůbec přenést na co jsem zakoupil na quest do pc ?? dík za odpověděděř
    Některé věci budou převedeny. Závisí to na tom, zda zakoupená aplikace nebo hra podporuje křížový nákup.
  • HansWursT619HansWursT619 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Did the Link setting change for anyone? I cant figure out how this is supposed to work/has changed.
  • Mazda_RonMazda_Ron Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Recording in-VR
    • We’ve improved in-VR recording by adding an image stabilization feature. This enhancement will reduce unwanted motion that can happen when looking around in-VR while streaming.

how do I even get this to show up? is this just smoothing the mirror view or is there an option somewhere, I'm on CV1 if that makes any difference.
  • Mazda_RonMazda_Ron Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Mazda_Ron said:
    Recording in-VR

how do I even get this to show up? is this just smoothing the mirror view or is there an option somewhere, I'm on CV1 if that makes any difference.
    well, a quick look into this, If I launch OculusMirror.exe, it does not apply the effect.

If I go OculusDebugTool.exe -tools-mirror, then I get the effect.

I can confirm its not launching the same oculusmirror.exe as the process is different..... anyone know how I can find the executable it's actually using to add a shortcut or do I need to go through debug tool like this every time?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,643 Valuable Player
    edited August 27
    I got the v20 update yesterday. With my Rift cv1 w/2x sensors I’m occasionally getting this message; Unable to Detect a Sensor.  When I check my Oculus desktop app, Devices everything is in the green, usb3.0 and I don’t have any power saving enabled on any USB ports or the Sensors.

This doesn’t seem to actually effect anything, just a little annoying.  If this continues I’ll start a support ticket.

Edit/Update;  Cleaned my cv1 sensor lens (microfiber cloth only) and this seems to have helped.  I have not seen this error message since doing this yesterday.  Probably been +12mo since I've done this so maybe they were a little dusty, lol! 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• timcasetimcase Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    thanks
  • CygnificCygnific Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    V20 fails USB test on Quest, happend in beta v20 also. Works fine in v19.
    edited August 27
    Cygnific said:
    Works fine with my Quest w/official link cable and pcie card w/usb gen2 3.1 type-c port.  If you are using the supplied usb2.0 change cable you may get a warning message but if you can ignore it and it may still work.  

If yours will not work contact Oculus Support and start a ticket.  Good luck mate.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• morphee7morphee7 Posts: 142
    Art3mis
    Mazda_Ron said:
    Mazda_Ron said:
    Recording in-VR

well, a quick look into this, If I launch OculusMirror.exe, it does not apply the effect.

If I go OculusDebugTool.exe -tools-mirror, then I get the effect.

I can confirm its not launching the same oculusmirror.exe as the process is different..... anyone know how I can find the executable it's actually using to add a shortcut or do I need to go through debug tool like this every time?
    i have the oculus mirror shortcut on my desktop, i launch it click on it and it brings up the top mwnu with file,settings and help.
    click settings and go down to image stabilization and select it there for which type you want.
    then click on file and save so all you have to do is then start mirror and click file and then load and it will apply your saved settings.
    i dont use it as it seems to like carry on m,oving after i have stoped moving my head

• CygnificCygnific Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Cygnific said:
    Works fine with my Quest w/official link cable and pcie card w/usb gen2 3.1 type-c port.  If you are using the supplied usb2.0 change cable you may get a warning message but if you can ignore it and it may still work.  

If yours will not work contact Oculus Support and start a ticket.  Good luck mate.

Weird, I had the same problem with the Beta and not in v19.. I have the original Oculus link usb 3.2 cable on 3.1 usb-c on my mb. Seems to work fine though in games.
  • Rolin_Rolin_ Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Any word on when the Oculus PC app and Oculus Link will let us record/stream audio to the PC from the Quest without the need for third party software?
  • JanetteeTurnerrJanetteeTurnerr Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Recording in-VR
    Tracking
    Oculus Link
    • Users are now able to hide the ‘Activate Oculus Link’ modal. You can always enable Oculus Link from the Settings > Quick Actions menu.
    Interesting 
    edited September 2
    Recording in-VR
    Tracking
    Oculus Link
    Interesting 
    @JanetteeTurnerr I realise you are new here but responding to forum posts with 'Interesting' comments like you have with your first ever 9 posts today are not really all that 'Interesting', lol!  Maybe try to stick with questions or comments that add value.  If you like a post simply hit the bottom Like button.  Thanks kiddo.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,817 Valuable Player
    edited September 6
    @TomCgcmfc -That's very interesting. Thank you!
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    Rolin_ said:
    Any word on when the Oculus PC app and Oculus Link will let us record/stream audio to the PC from the Quest without the need for third party software?
    Might be best to ask in the Quest forums as people use Rift S in this one.
    Here's the link so you don't have to lift a finger to find it:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/92298/quest-build-20-0-release-notes#latest
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,810 Valuable Player
    PTC V20 was released July 31 (about 50 days ago)
    V20 went public on August 21   (about 30 days ago)

I can't remember the last time a version release had less than one page of comments. Could it be that all the comments were directed to more interesting things like 'facebook login requirements" or "30 series GPU release". Who knows?

One thing is for certain, after such a long delay in Oculus PC software releases, and upcoming T & C's and a "new" direction with "all-in-one" headsets, I think the next software update is gonna be a big one.

Rift users ..... fasten your seat belts. If we're lucky we won't be too badly affected as they tweak our PC software to suit the headsets that "don't require a PC.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• MPiresMPires Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    My Rift S is working perfectly. Please do not make upgrades that put this at risk :)
  • Karu62Karu62 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    just tried the .20 update. tracking cameras still cut out after a few minutes.
  • GlobespyGlobespy Posts: 121
    Art3mis
    I've stayed on the v11 or v12 since last year (blocked updates through firewall rules), and just got a RTX 3080.
    I get the message in virtual desktop that says my PC doesn't support VR, which is obviously something to do with the older software I have.
    But VR works normally other than the message I see in virtual desktop.

I am very hesitant to update since my software version is so many revisions out of date, and can't afford a bricked Rift S.
    Seems that for most this v20 actually works, is that the general consensus and safe to update?
    Or just stick with the annoying message on the old version?

PS - are there any benefits to newer versions as it relates to RTX cards? Any useful processing that happens with RTX cards that could be a better VR experience?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,052 Valuable Player
    I can only say I have not had any trouble with any of the updates for my Rift S.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,810 Valuable Player
    Globespy said:
    I've stayed on the v11 or v12 since last year (blocked updates through firewall rules), and just got a RTX 3080.

--------------------------------------------------
    I am very hesitant to update since my software version is so many revisions out of date, and can't afford a bricked Rift S.
    Seems that for most this v20 actually works, is that the general consensus and safe to update?

Just a couple of points on V20...

In all the time I've read these forums and update threads, I've never seen so few comments for a release so old. It's also the longest we've been without a "PTC" release.
    I think the lack of comments may have been because of all the discussion around upcoming T's & C's and facebook log in. I don't think that the lack of comments means everybody is happy (but that may be true).

Given the long time since this update was released in PTC ,and then general release, I think it's safe to say that we can soon (after new t & c, and new facebook log in) expect a MAJOR software update.

While this current V20 release may be seen as safe and inoffensive for your Rift S, If I was you, I'd be waiting to see what the next release does to everyone before unblocking the updates.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Globespy said:
    I get the message in virtual desktop that says my PC doesn't support VR, which is obviously something to do with the older software I have.
    But VR works normally other than the message I see in virtual desktop.

PS - are there any benefits to newer versions as it relates to RTX cards? Any useful processing that happens with RTX cards that could be a better VR experience?
    Mate, take your tinfoil hat off and update your Oculus software.  I think you should also update win10 to 2004 and your Nvidia drivers (latest ones are meant for the new rtx3000 series).  Hiding under a rock is not going to help you in the long run imho.