cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So, Viveport?

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
To start with, I did search the forum first. There weren't many threads discussing it, and most were a year old. So, Viveport... Is it worth subscribing as a Quest owner? It looks like there's a library of 130-160 games I should be able to play, but how many are actually worth playing? Is it actually worth the cost on a monthly or yearly basis? What is the general view on this subscription service?
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.
19 REPLIES 19

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
trn6q6imyt7e.gif

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Care to elaborate? What makes this such a bad idea?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

"Viveport is like a virus"

"installed it once, total nightmare"

"Its bloatware with lots of services, some running in background even with viveport closed and when you want to deinstall it theres 5-6 things to remove. And it fucks bt drivers"

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8i6uro/who_hates_viveport_tell_me_why/

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Ah, that is useful information to know. Read some of the other threads (read rants). I don't think things are going to be any where near as dire as some of the rants indicated. But yeah, this is good information.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I've been using VivePort for almost a year now and I think it's very good.  I got a free 12mo Infinity sub (gives you free access to unlimited Infinity apps) with my pre-ordered Cosmos (probably the only thing of any value, lol!).  I also got the odd free 2-6 mo for other Vive purchases and bought a cheap 12mo sub when they were on sale earlier this year for ~$25-30.  So right now I'm paid up till Aug 2022!  If other special come available you can purchase these and they just tack onto the end of your current sub.

Actually they have quite a few good, fairly recent games included in the Infinity sub.  Paper Beast, Down the Rabbit Hole, and Mini Motor Racing x, Seeking Dawn, Vox Machinae, and Arizona Sunshine come to mind.   Easy for you to browse the VivePort website where you can select Infinity and your headset and see what's available.  Most (+350) seem to play well with my Vive Pro, Oculus Rift cv1, and Quest.  The Quest is best with Link (like SteamVR it thinks its a Rift S) but many (maybe ~50%) of the games play fine wireless w/Virtual Desktop.  Like SteamVR, some games have native Oculus and some do not.

I honestly have never had any problems with VivePort.  I see that the Reddit link that Zen gave is over 2 years old so maybe its improved over time.  Also, on Reddit there always seems to be a lot of Vive-haters (and FaceBook-haters as well).  Since most of the games I play are mainly SteamVR and VivePort, I startup (minimised) both apps during win10 startup.  I've never noticed any bloatware-like hogging of resources and both are easy to exit if I want to. 

I can access VivePort from it's own desktop window or by using the SteamVR dashboard menu.  Like Revive, there is a VP button.  BTW, you need to have SteamVR installed in order to run VivePort games.  If you are using an Oculus headset, of course you need to have your Oculus App running.

While I think the Infinity subscription is pretty good value (esp. if you can buy it with sales and/or promotional specials) I probably would not consider buying non-Infinity apps though.  These always seem to be more expensive than Steam anyway.

So, for me, no complaints so far.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Did some more digging, and it looks like if you have an Oculus Quest/Rift S your possible apps are very limited. Didn't see too much of interest. Maybe if I eventually get a Cosmos, which I was considering, it'd be worth it. But as a Quest owner I guess it may not be.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Pixie40 said:

Did some more digging, and it looks like if you have an Oculus Quest/Rift S your possible apps are very limited. Didn't see too much of interest. Maybe if I eventually get a Cosmos, which I was considering, it'd be worth it. But as a Quest owner I guess it may not be.

I just searched on my Vive Port App for Infinity games for the Rift S and there are currently 391 games.  Not sure where you got the 130-160 games mentioned in your first post.  The Cosmos says 585 games and my Vive Pro says 475.  No big deal since most of the ones that I've found I like are within the included Rift S games.  Hard to believe you could not find a few games of interest but maybe you already have many of the better ones.  Maybe do a bit more digging.

In addition to the VP Games tab there are also 74 app within the Apps tab for the Rift S.  Worth having a look at these as well.  Includes things like Tilt Brush, The Blue, Nature Treks VR, and Apollo 11.

In any case, up to you to decide it's worth trying out VivePort or not.  You can usually get a free 2 month trial.  I've given you my observations (but not recommendations) based on using it for almost a year now.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
The website says 130 games that can use the Touch controllers, 150 for the Rift S, and 160 for Rift when you filter by those criteria.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Pixie40 said:

The website says 130 games that can use the Touch controllers, 150 for the Rift S, and 160 for Rift when you filter by those criteria.

Sorry but that’s not the correct way to search on that site.  You need to search as I’ve already explained to you.  Infinity, Rift S, using the Games tab and App tab.  Searching for Touch Controller will not be accurate. When you open a game’s details you will see the full description of which headsets are supported and the input required.  I have yet to see any Rift games or apps that do not support touch controllers, unlike some Oculus store games that are gamepad-only.

Try digging again.