cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Quest randomly disconnecting from PC

Muttster
Honored Guest
Alright to walk this through step by step, I load up my Quest (I don't know if the size matters but the 32 GB one but I play through the PC), set my boundary, reset my view so I'm centered, and then plug my Quest into my PC via a 3rd party link cable. I enable the transfer of data between my Quest and my PC and click Enable Link or whatever the little button on the taskbar in Quest OS says to launch me to my desktop (stopped paying attention to what it said long ago. I just know rectangle next to status of my devices put me in happy place). Once that's set and loaded, I click the VR button on Steam to load into Steam VR. Once I'm in, I select what game I want to play and bam here we go.

So this started happening about a week ago but I'll just be mid game and suddenly my vision will go black for like half of a second and suddenly I'm looking at the Quest menu. Not like the Oculus software on my PC. Like as if I'm not linked to my PC but the button will pop back up like not even a second later to enable link again. Now if I could just click the button and be put right back to where I was, I'd be like okay whatever that's a dumb little hiccup. Instead, I have to pull the headset up, take off the controllers, navigate my PC, and click the Steam prompt to either quit or restart Steam VR because my device was disconnected. At first I thought this was maybe just crashes but I will see on one of my monitors my game still running happily, even my friends waving in my face wondering where the hell I went but my HMD won't display anything, not even the Oculus Home software, I can't press the Oculus button to bring up the taskbar, just no interaction.

So I have to click restart Steam VR, wait for that to load, my headset to start displaying things, load my game up, rejoin my friends and it'll happen again in some arbitrary amount of time, not usually more than 15 minutes is when it can happen again and I assume you get it's frustrating.

Like is something wrong with my HMD? I tried a couple spare cables I have lying around and all give me the same result. Just half of an hour ago, I even tried wrapping the cable around my neck (I absolutely strangled myself trying that lmao) and leaving some slack for the connection to the cable and played very gently but it just did all of that again where it blacked out for half of a second and popped me back up to the Quest OS menu, with the enable link button popping up quickly after.

I'm really not sure what changed from the point of purchase to a week ago when I started having issues. Software update? Oculus being more egregious with pushing their $80 cable when a regular 3rd party cable was working just fine up until this point? I just wanna play some damn VR games with friends. Any suggestions for things to try would be appreciated, or if anyone knows exactly what's going on, I'd love to know so I can hopefully get back to playing.

Thank you!
95 REPLIES 95

JinwooJB
Honored Guest
Hey, I got the same problem even after getting a new cable, did you find a fix?

androidpimpz
Honored Guest
same here

SotetBarom
Honored Guest
I have the same issue. I checked the event log in windows, and every time this disconnect happens, the OVRServer_x64.exe does a "reset policy scheme" action. I think this is a software side error, and not a cable/hardware issue.

Rocker427
Honored Guest
I have been going through the same problem. I have the official link cable. I have been going back and for with customer service through emails for over a week doing everything they ask but nothing has worked. They have had me change many settings on my computer, factory reset my headset, completely reinstall all hardware, and many other random things. My problems started exactly when i downloaded the new update. It feels like they know what the problem is but just are stalling until they rollout the solution. Or maybe trying to get people to buy games from the oculus store instead of steam because the link doesn't work right. 

ASEGM08
Honored Guest
I am about to return this. I haven't been able to successfully connect it to my PC using the LINK cable on my Z170X Motherboard USB 3.1 "C" connector on the motherboard. I have tried every combination. of only plugging in the headset, without any other USB's connected, I still don't get anything. I've tried different BIOS settings, registering as a developer. 

My issue is that as soon as I try to click "LINK" on the headset, the PC begins to disconnect the VR, it starts to tell me, that the headset cannot be found. It is in an endless loop of connecting, disconnecting. 

At this point I've invested $379 dollars on this, only to find that it really has not been working for the purpose that I wanted it for. I might as well have bought something better that doesn't give me problems. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same problem. Still no fix, bought a new cable and everything, works just fine with the Quest 2 but not the Quest 1. For many reasons I believe this is a software issue. Ever since the update, it feels like I'm being phased out because I don't have a Quest 2. I feel that line about this occurring every 15 minutes or so. Random disconnects no matter what I do. I've wasted a lot of time dealing with "support", uninstalling, reinstalling, updating, checking. Nothing has changed anything. 

The part about choking yourself with a cord? I just used a couple zip ties - a bit more stable and reliable, far less dangerous LOL! But even with the added stability, because I was thinking maybe it was a bad USB port on my headset, still the same results... and it's not a bad port on my headset, everything was working just fine until the Quest 2 updates started rolling around.

My old cord worked, my old headset worked, whatever USB port I used, worked. Now? Nope. Feels like I'm being strong-armed into buying a Quest 2. ( I planned on it anyways, it's just disappointing that in the meantime I have to struggle through this obviously Oculus software problem... how long did it take you guys to integrate the Quest 1 microphone? - before taking it out of beta, you should have made sure everything worked correctly for everyone, just a thought.)

If anyone feels the need to reply to the things I've said here, don't bother. Most likely, they won't be fixing this issue. RIP Quest 1 Link Microphone abilities. I guess I have to buy a wireless microphone? Money pit. ❤️

pch4n
Honored Guest
Same problem. After it got disconnected from the PC randomly, I checked the Devices settings. It says "General device problem" and "No HDMI connection" on the Oculus Quest 2 and Touch. I don't know what this means...

Buffalmacco
Explorer
Here I am! I add my self to those with the disconnection problem. I got a Quest 2 and I really want to play alyx... I can't understand the problem, if it is for my usb cable, for my usb port or from my oculus...

pch4n
Honored Guest

I have tested with the Oculus Quest 1 again, which resulted in
no problems unlike Quest 2.

I forced a disconnection with the Quest 1 and looked at the Device settings to
see what the difference is.

In the case of Quest 1, it show "No USB3 connection", whereas Quest 2
shows "No HDMI connection"