New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Process of Moving on from the OculusVR Forum

kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,711 Valuable Player
Did not want to fill the General Forum discussion up with this clutter, but also wanted to explain in a post rather than answer all the PM's individually. 

Question = Where have you been?
I received some PM's asking why I had not been as regular in posting as I had been. Part is due obviously to the World Health situation, and the need to look after clients and investors that are crawling back and re-opening their facilities in the LBE scene. But also there has been limited news of real interest on the forum. The reality of the Facebook announcement gave one point of interaction, but then seeing how the responses were being "played" I felt its best to take a step back and focus more on the discussions at the closed forums that I post or moderate.  

Question = Will you still be posting?
Well, yes and no.
I have decided that after the Facebook Connect 7 announcements [have a media key so will be logging on in person] - I will join in some of the forum discussions, (hoping for some lively exchanges of views in a civil atmosphere), but now as I mark coming up to some seven years posting on this forum that I may now turn the corner and with its merger into the new VR Social Media strategy, I may take my leave. I will however use my Quest at least a couple of times to try out the new medium of Horizon Forums, but at which point I think by January will move on, (though this may happen sooner than later so wanted to post this).

Just wanted to thank all the moderators and friends made on this service over the years, shame so many have moved on, but at least we can hock up at the other forums.

Wish all well, and look forward to seeing the advancements made in the next seven years.

TTFN

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,440 Valuable Player
    I've always enjoyed reading your posts - I sincerely hope you'll continue to visit this forum from time to time. 

Personally I'm here as long as the music is playing  :)  

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,711 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I've always enjoyed reading your posts - I sincerely hope you'll continue to visit this forum from time to time. 

Personally I'm here as long as the music is playing  :)  

Obviously I hope the forum "situation" is not Titanic! 
    We have seen an incredible churn in posters since the changes, and we will obviously have to wait and see after October how the forum is going to be reshaped. Having learned of the new moderation style being employed I wanted to at least give the reasons for my limiting of posts (thanks for the kind words), and too those that have joined me over at the Facebook Oculus Dev forum, expect to see me more active there. But lets hope this is only a short vacation :)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,392 Valuable Player
    edited September 9
    kevinw729 said:
    We have seen an incredible churn in posters since the changes

No we haven't. We have seen an incredible influx in posters. This thread is a thinly veiled attempt to attack...

the new moderation style

LOL. Right, so you are upset that things don't work like before, where you could attack other people without fear, and if anyone attacked you back, you could get your older Mod buddies to ban/warn the people you target. Sorry that things are more "fair" now, kevin.

The new Moderation style is very even-handed. Clearly, fairness doesn't work for everyone. ;)

I wanted to at least give the reasons for my limiting of posts

Your posting count has actually increased this year, moreso over the last 4 weeks. I don't believe for one second that you are getting an influx of users asking why you are posting less when anyone can see that you're posting either "the same" or "more."

This entire thread is a farce. You're talking about "leaving" but you aren't actually leaving. You're still here, posting actively today. And you've given yourself until January to leave, LMAO, with the promise of it being only a "short vacation."

Just be honest, kevin. This is a thread where you are saying, "I'm mad that the Mod's don't obey my commands, so I'm going to leave... unless people convince me to stay!"

Thanks for the PM @Nekto2 - I have send you some examples of the current VR forums we are supporting or moderate. And regarding those closed-groups, I would gladly send a invite if you email. 

Just to reiterate, I will be moving on after October, and the implementation of the new forum structure, but will pop-back from time to time to try out the new format and answer questions. Thanks for reaching out. 

• saami81saami81 Posts: 288
    Nexus 6
    This must be most egoistic thread ever. Im speechless.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,282 Valuable Player
    Kevin you are better than this.

:open_mouth:

System Specs: RTX 3090 , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,977 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:

Just to reiterate, I will be moving on after October, and the implementation of the new forum structure, but will pop-back from time to time to try out the new format and answer questions. Thanks for reaching out. 

I guess you know something that we don't?
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,795 Valuable Player

WAAAGH!
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,923 Valuable Player
    saami81 said:
    This must be most egoistic thread ever. Im speechless.

He's also continually using the so-called 'Royal we' too. 😂😂😂
    kevinw729 said:
    Thanks for the PM Nekto2 - I have send you some examples of the current VR forums we are supporting or moderate. And regarding those closed-groups, I would gladly send a invite if you email. 

I guess you posted that PM to address when I said this,
    " I don't believe for one second that you are getting an influx of users asking why you are posting less"

However, what you posted is a PM that came AFTER you made this Goodbye Thread. Do you see the problem?

When you first made the Goodbye thread, you said you were getting PM's prior. That means you got a PM BEFORE you made this thread. So showing a PM sent to you AFTER you made this thread doesn't really address it.

Just to be clear, this is nothing personal. I'm just talking about some basic Math where your post activity seems to have increased. Which is natural for many of us as we are all stuck home due to Covid-19. All I'm saying is that it would seem odd for someone to PM you that you are posting  less when in fact you are posting more.

Nekto's PM doesn't illustrate any of that. He's just responding to this very thread.
    edited September 11
    Interesting seeing the feigned clutching of pearls going on here to my response, with the play of the victim. I have had my say. If it was not to your liking then you are welcome to your views. I think I know were I stand on this - against personal attacks. Sorry cancel culture is not a thing on this forum...yet!
    kevinw729 said:
    Interesting seeing the feigned clutching of pearls going on here to my response, with the play of the victim. I have had my say. If it was not to your liking then you are welcome to your views. I think I know were I stand on this - against personal attacks. Sorry cancel culture is not a thing on this forum...yet!

Okay, but that skirts the discussion. And you brought it up, right?

This is what you said in your first post,
    "I received some PM's asking why I had not been as regular in posting as I had been."

All I'm saying in response is... I don't believe that to be true because you have been posting quite a lot over the past month or more.

Your follow-up reply of sharing Nekto's PM doesn't resolve this. Because Nekto's PM came only after this thread was created.

Sorry but the Math doesn't add up, and the Timeline doesn't connect.

I'm also not sure why you are accusing others of "playing the victim" when this thread literally does exactly that. The whole "playing the victim" is precisely why a "leaving the forum" has been announced!
    I would also like to know Tuesday's Euromillions numbers too when you get a chance. You're obviously psychic because you're able to respond to Zenbane's posts despite having him on Ignore. :o:p:D
    4,13,10, 20, 21, 22 and bonus ball, I was responding to you!

edited September 11
    Damn, I look mighty good on the Ignore Filter. Thanks for the photo op!

Most people know that you can just click on the name and it will expand the user's post. And that's obviously what you are doing with my posts, kevin. As you clearly respond to the things I say in multiple threads. Which is fine! If you want to go through the extra task of click-to-expand in order to read what I say, then have at it.

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,795 Valuable Player
    Snow can you buy me a ticket for the drawing too!!
    iIf we win ill send you my half of the ticket cost when I get my half of the payout.
    WAAAGH!
    @Morgrum @snowdog

So a total coincidence,

I picked up this classic puzzle game recently from Steam since it was on sale:
    Nightmare Adventures: The Witch's Prison

And it actually has Lottery Tickets! lol

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,545 Valuable Player
    edited September 13
    Well shame if you do leave Kevin you are very unique poster.

Personally I still like the forum, Anything worth discussing in VR usually washes up on it’s shore and I respect / trust a lot of the people’s opinions here.

However I might feel guilty lurking here when I get my G2 and give away my cv1 😀 Although who knows I may be buying something special from Oculus after FC7.
  • Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist

However I might feel guilty lurking here when I get my G2 and give away my cv1 😀 Although who knows I may be buying something special from Oculus after FC7.
    At the risk of hijacking this illuminating thread, what do you think of the HTC Vive and the Valve Index?  I looked into the G2 but didn't see a lot of software available for it yet.

At the risk of hijacking this illuminating thread, what do you think of the HTC Vive and the Valve Index?  I looked into the G2 but didn't see a lot of software available for it yet.

The exact same software that's available for the Vive and Index is also available for the G2.
  • Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    snowdog said:

The exact same software that's available for the Vive and Index is also available for the G2.
    That's good to know.  I went to Steam and looked for the G2 icon and came up empty.  Granted I only looked at half a dozen apps but only saw compatibility with the "big three".  I didn't see any G2 icons.

No need to feel guilty. Plenty of posters maintain competitor headsets in this community. Including at least one of the Moderators.

However, please don't turn in to one of those posters who buys a competitor headset and then only sticks around here to gloat, bait, or engage in that type of negative behavior we have seen from others who are clearly sticking around just to validate their purchase decision and "wait to see" if Facebook/Oculus fails.

Just don't be "that guy." ;)
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,545 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:

No need to feel guilty. Plenty of posters maintain competitor headsets in this community. Including at least one of the Moderators.

However, please don't turn in to one of those posters who buys a competitor headset and then only sticks around here to gloat, bait, or engage in that type of negative behavior we have seen from others who are clearly sticking around just to validate their purchase decision and "wait to see" if Facebook/Oculus fails.

Just don't be "that guy." ;)
    Remember 'Gloating' is in the eye of the beholder, don't be that holder :)
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 887
    Trinity
    heh
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,282 Valuable Player
    edited September 14
    Kevin, I think you should just ask the mods to delete this piece of melodrama and just crack-on with it like you are doing. It all seems rather contradictory given you appear to be posting more frequently than ever. If you don't ask I'll do it for you.

;) 

System Specs: RTX 3090 , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,802 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    I will agree with @Shadowmask72 on this, you have had your say so I personally feel this thread has run its course.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

This discussion has been closed.