New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is there an app for Occulus Quest that can help kids improve their reading skills?

kathy.day.9693kathy.day.9693 Posts: 2
NerveGear
My niece is 10 years old and struggles with her reading. I've helped her read books but she quickly becomes bored. I've read that a VR environment can improve kids' reading skills because it's fun and immersive but I can't seem to locate any Occulus Quest games for this purpose. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,802 Valuable Player
    edited September 8
    My recommendation is stick with the books. Generally more screen time does not improve reading or writing.
    Plus, there's this...................

If it was me, I'd be letting my brother/sister decide on using VR (or not) for 10 yr olds. It forces the eyes to constantly focus at around 1 to 1.5 metres and removes eyeball divergence.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 3,025 Valuable Player
    edited September 8
    You should be the "app".  Let VR be the reward and give her a reading assignment to complete. And don't be weak, if she doesn't do it right, no reward.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,436 Valuable Player
    Actual BOOKS are the BEST method for learning how to read.  Technology will never be able to replace good old fashioned BOOKS.
  • kathy.day.9693kathy.day.9693 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Listen, I understand what you're saying - I'm the daughter of a librarian and an author.  I love books. My house is filled with books. But there has been some research that suggests VR can help kids with reading issues. (Apparently, I cannot provide links yet because this board says I have to be around for a little while longer before I can post links.) 

Thank you for your thoughts and I'll be moving on...

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,797 Valuable Player
    edited September 9
    Reading books with my own eyes bores the hell out of me and nothing will change that. That's why I chose to get audible from amazon and have people read books for me. It's good education even if it's someone else reading the book for you.
  • Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    Listen, I understand what you're saying - I'm the daughter of a librarian and an author.  I love books. My house is filled with books. But there has been some research that suggests VR can help kids with reading issues. (Apparently, I cannot provide links yet because this board says I have to be around for a little while longer before I can post links.) 

Thank you for your thoughts and I'll be moving on...

That's one of the problems with forums for any hobby - a lot of people like to type stuff just to look smart and never bother to try to answer the questions at hand.  Good luck with your search for an answer.  I wish I could help.