New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Automobilista 2

dburnedburne Posts: 4,033 Valuable Player
Hey gang,
So the other day I decided I wanted to get back in racing sims. Has been many years for me, and I wanted to check it out in VR. 
So I purchased a Logitech G29 wheel setup, and also purchased this recently released Automobilista 2.

I am having a blast this. It is gorgeous in VR and has a wide selection of both cars and tracks. I am currently cutting my teeth with the Formula V10
running practice laps until I can get decent enough I feel I could take on the AI.

I had never heard of this one, thought I would drop it here for others that might be interested. Appears to be pretty hard core racing sim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=JVg1ftqwd20&feature=emb_logo

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

Comments

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 428
    Trinity
    Yeah, it's brilliant! I bought it just before it came out of public beta, swiftly followed by a big spend on a wheel, pedals and a gear shift. I subsequently built a wind fan array that takes telemetry from the sim and gives a nice cooling blast to me and the Rift according to track speed :)
    As Don says, it's beautiful in VR with solid maxed out frame rates.
    I'll look out for you in the time trial leader boards Don! I'm lensman45
    Dave
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,033 Valuable Player
    Yeah, it's brilliant! I bought it just before it came out of public beta, swiftly followed by a big spend on a wheel, pedals and a gear shift. I subsequently built a wind fan array that takes telemetry from the sim and gives a nice cooling blast to me and the Rift according to track speed :)
    As Don says, it's beautiful in VR with solid maxed out frame rates.
    I'll look out for you in the time trial leader boards Don! I'm lensman45
    Dave
    Lol may be a bit before I can get a handle on it, but am working hard at it.
    Btw I ordered the shifter for my G29 today.
    Now looking at a Wheel Stand Pro augh.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,783 Valuable Player
    edited September 9
    Does it have Multiplayer and do the cars have realistic handling? If it does have Multiplayer are many people playing it? I must admit it does look good.

Edit: Just watched some YouTube video's on this and it looks nice.
    RedRizla said:
    Does it have Multiplayer and do the cars have realistic handling? If it does have Multiplayer are many people playing it? I must admit it does look good.

Edit: Just watched some YouTube video's on this and it looks nice.

Yes it has Multiplayer. I intend to only do single player at this time, so cannot comment on how it is.
    There seems to be several on their forums that are into MP though.

Don't know if I can be a good authority on realistic handling, so far I have only been practicing with the Formula V10 and having a blast with it. There certainly is no lack of settings one can do that is for sure. 
    One thing I really liked is it recognized my G29 setup and assigned settings pretty good to it right out the chute.
    I spent about 4 hours with it today and finally ran a race. Got my butt handed to me but it was a blast.
    Performance in VR is excellent, I do have a fairly beefy rig though.

Oh and it does have native Oculus support, even though a Steam game do not have to use Steam VR which is nice.
    Don

Trinity
    edited September 9
    Yep it has Multiplayer but it's a tad quiet. I guess because it's early days, not a lot of folk are playing on line 'cos not a lot of folk are playing on line  :D

I'm pretty new to sim racing so can't speak with authority on the car handling but I'm following a number of the 'pro' racers on youtube and a number of them are increasingly praising the physics of the sim as the devs keep updating.
    The devs seem very responsive to users and there is an exciting roadmap of features, tracks and cars:
    https://www.game-automobilista2.com/?fbclid=IwAR1KVA4eiN0bZSWuew3niHOWCawFDBXlIrSLHKilNoViiOOR6ERbg7Vy3eo
    Dave
    edited September 9
    Yeah I think the game just officially released around the first of the month.
    Many, many years ago I used to be quite heavily involved in sim racing. This goes back to the Papyrus Nascar Racing days. Originally we were running on dial up lol. Ran a large league where we would have three separate races going on Sunday afternoons.
    I mean I was practicing hard, every evening after getting home from work, then at least a few hours on Saturday.

Now I am just going to do the single player thing, and have fun. Looks like this sim will shine pretty good in single player.  I am too old now to keep up with the younger guys for that competitive online racing.
    Don

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,139
    Wintermute
    I own it from April and had a blast with it. I had to stop from July as I can wear the headset due to hot temp in my room, and wait fresher days to launch it again. This is one of the best VR implementation I know. I can handle 90fps all time with my CV1 and my old machine. It's crisp (the xml sharpening trick helped like in pcars) and fluid, and coming from rFactor 2 I can say it have very good physic and FFB. I have T500RS wheel with its gears and pedals, full immersion :)
    I'm glad more and more people discover it, it's a good devs team too!

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Trinity
    YoLolo69 said:
    I own it from April and had a blast with it. I had to stop from July as I can wear the headset due to hot temp in my room, and wait fresher days to launch it again. This is one of the best VR implementation I know. I can handle 90fps all time with my CV1 and my old machine. It's crisp (the xml sharpening trick helped like in pcars) and fluid, and coming from rFactor 2 I can say it have very good physic and FFB. I have T500RS wheel with its gears and pedals, full immersion :)
    Too hot?
    You should do what I did  :smile:

YoLolo69 said:
    Too hot?
    You should do what I did  :smile:

How did you set this up to have wind blowing on you depending on the speed of the cars?
  • DogmanbirdDogmanbird Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    it's just the case fans - the faster you drive, the hotter the cpu, the harder they blow

but the computer shuts down every now and then

• DogmanbirdDogmanbird Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    i kids of course  :)
    Trinity
    The fans are controlled with an Arduino motor controller board driven by the SimHub app. SimHub takes telemetry from racing sims to drive motion platforms, cockpit displays etc. It's all clever stuff, I have 'wind curving' programmed so extra air blows from side to side according to lateral g forces :)
    SimHub also drives my old Buttkicker, not using audio output but using various dynamic telemetry from the car. So you can have high frequency vibrations from rumble kerbs, road surface detail, suspension deflection...the list is long.
    The wind effect isn't 'realistic' of course, you don't fell wind in a tin top or when wearing a racing helmet, but the immersive feeling of speed and acceleration is very convincing :)
    Wish I could set my Buttkicker up again, but If I do the guy in the flat below will attempt to kick my butt. I had it setup for 1 hour before he complained last time. Hopefully, I'll get to use it when I move because these Bass Shakers really make VR feel much more realistic. 
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 286
    Nexus 6
    There can never be enough good racing sims for VR. Actually without VR they arent good for me. Thanks @dburne i must check this one out. I hope it is as good as Assetto corsa or iracing.
    saami81 said:
    There can never be enough good racing sims for VR. Actually without VR they arent good for me. Thanks @dburne i must check this one out. I hope it is as good as Assetto corsa or iracing.

You are most welcome!
    I wish I could compare but really have no idea on the others as I have been out of racing sims for so long.
    I can say though so far I am having a blast with this one. Really surprised how good performance is.
    Don

One thing I will mention gang that had me somewhat confused when setting this game up as I was not aware.
    This game has both settings for VR and another settings file for 2d Monitor.
    First thing I did was go setup some button assignments in 2d on the monitor, then when I went to drive the car in VR my assignments were not there.
    After doing some searching found this tidbit of info out.

Pretty neat feature especially for those that might like to play it in both 2d and VR, just caught me off guard.
    Don

Trinity
    Interesting discovery Don. I had no idea that existed.
    BTW have you done the VR sharpening tweak to the ini file?
    Yeah it is really neat, and I forget to mention when launching it in VR you can still use the desktop to input the assignments, as the desktop image is active as well. I found it easier to do that way.

No, not familiar with that tweak? 
    Don

Trinity
    dburne said:
    Yeah it is really neat, and I forget to mention when launching it in VR you can still use the desktop to input the assignments, as the desktop image is active as well. I found it easier to do that way.

No, not familiar with that tweak? 
    It's an edit to a config file that tweaks the image sharpness with no impact on performance.
    Go to your documents/Automobilista 2 folder and find the graphicsconfigoculusdx11 XML file
    Open it in notepad and scroll down to the bottom...

<prop name="GraphicsLevel" graphicslevel="4" />
            <prop name="SuperSampling" supersampling="0" />
            <prop name="LowSuperSampling" lowsupersampling="0" />
            <prop name="VRSuperSampling" vrsupersampling="0" />
            <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.000000" />
            <prop name="SharpeningClamp" sharpeningclamp="0.090000" />
            <prop name="OffsetBias" offsetbias="1.000000" />
        </data>
    </Reflection>

Edit the value in the line      <prop name="SharpeningStrength" sharpeningstrength="2.000000" />
    The game default is all zeros : "0.000000"
    Try values from "1.500000 to "2.500000" I settled on "2.000000" but experiment and find your sweet spot:)

BTW the in game super sampling doesn't seem to work. I can't see any visual difference or any impact on performance.
    Have fun :)
    Dave

Interestingly I tried the same setting for Sharpening Strength as you, and ended up with the game locking up after about 7 laps. .  had to kill it with task manager. Don't know if it was related or not, I restored to the default and so far has not happened again.
    Don

Trinity
    dburne said:
    Interestingly I tried the same setting for Sharpening Strength as you, and ended up with the game locking up after about 7 laps. .  had to kill it with task manager. Don't know if it was related or not, I restored to the default and so far has not happened again.
    Weird, I've been using it for weeks now and haven't had any game lockups. It seems to be a universally used setting for VR drivers on the forum so maybe your crash was not related.
    dburne said:
    Weird, I've been using it for weeks now and haven't had any game lockups. It seems to be a universally used setting for VR drivers on the forum so maybe your crash was not related.

Yeah maybe not, I will try it again in a bit. Might try a little SS with OTT first and see how that does.
    Don

Trinity
    dburne said:
    dburne said:

Yeah maybe not, I will try it again in a bit. Might try a little SS with OTT first and see how that does.
    Well, I know you have more horsepower than me but these are the settings that are giving me excellent sharp detailed display with the Rift S pegged at 80 fps with maximum number on cars on track.
    I have OTT at 1.0 BTW
    Aniso 8x - MSAA High - Reflections High - Enviro Low - Car detail Ultra - Track detail  Ultra - Shadows Medium  - Grass Low - Particles Low
    :smile:
    Dave
    dburne said:
    dburne said:

Well, I know you have more horsepower than me but these are the settings that are giving me excellent sharp detailed display with the Rift S pegged at 80 fps with maximum number on cars on track.
    I have OTT at 1.0 BTW
    Aniso 8x - MSAA High - Reflections High - Enviro Low - Car detail Ultra - Track detail  Ultra - Shadows Medium  - Grass Low - Particles Low
    :smile:
    Dave
    Thanks much, I will check them out and also try the sharpening tip again as well.
    I have been running with 26 cars and performance is great. I will up that also.
    Don

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,139
    Wintermute
    First VR game I don't have to use any SS, and I usually can't stand less than 1,5. The Sharpeningstrengh trick is kind of magic, and I keep my fps.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

edited September 12
    YoLolo69 said:
    First VR game I don't have to use any SS, and I usually can't stand less than 1,5. The Sharpeningstrengh trick is kind of magic, and I keep my fps.

Ok I will give that trick another try and see how it does.
    I now have the graphics pretty much maxed out and it is still performing great for me.
    Running 30 cars now also.

Question - are we supposed to be hearing a spotter in a race?
    Don

Trinity
    dburne said:
    YoLolo69 said:

I now have the graphics pretty much maxed out and it is still performing great for me.

Spotter doesn't work at the moment...
    Best option is to get Crew Chief app..
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/offical-release-of-crew-chief-version-4-auto-updating-and-shiny.2516/
    :)
    Dave
    dburne said:
    YoLolo69 said:

Spotter doesn't work at the moment...
    Best option is to get Crew Chief app..
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/offical-release-of-crew-chief-version-4-auto-updating-and-shiny.2516/
    :)
    Dave

Hey that looks pretty nifty, I will have to check that out much thanks.
    Don

edited September 17
    Received my new Wheel Stand Pro yesterday and got the G29 with Shifter all mounted up and ready to go.
    Great piece of kit, solid as can be and very convenient to move in for use and out as needed. Also easily folds down for storage.
    Assembly instructions included were horrible, thankfully Wheel Stand Pro has some good assembly videos on YouTube.

Now I am ready to rumble!

Don

Trinity
    Looking good. You're driving on the wrong side of the road tho'  :D