New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

What if I bought a HMD other that Oculus Rift ?

bobd14bobd14 Posts: 63
Hiro Protagonist
With several HMD  on the market lately, & OR being closely link with face book, my next purchase may be from a different manufacturer.   What happens to the apps that were bought at the oculus store...lost ? 

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,029 Valuable Player
    bobd14 said:
    With several HMD  on the market lately, & OR being closely link with face book, my next purchase may be from a different manufacturer.   What happens to the apps that were bought at the oculus store...lost ? 
    No , you will still own them and they will remain tied to your account.
    Might can get some of them to play on the other device via Revive. Or if you still have your Rift of course you can play on it. 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • DominatorVIPDominatorVIP Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    You'll still own the games, if you had bought the games from a 3rd party, like Steam for example, then you may be able to play them with a different HMD, but since it sounds like you bought the apps straight from Oculus, I doubt you'll be able to use them again unless you buy another Oculus headset. But if you ever do get another HMD from oculus, then the games will still be there (assuming they aren't removed from the store for whatever reason) and you can replay them whenever you so please.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,993 Valuable Player

• bobd14bobd14 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    I shouldn't have said lost.  I know they would be available if I install  rift software.  With a different manufacturer I couldn't run any rift store apps then, right?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,029 Valuable Player
    bobd14 said:
    I shouldn't have said lost.  I know they would be available if I install  rift software.  With a different manufacturer I couldn't run any rift store apps then, right?
    Possibly via Revive.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,759 Volunteer Moderator
    The Revive program dburne mentioned is a program that lets other headsets (vive, index, etc) run oculus games.
    It's not perfect and not all games work flawlessly in it, but many are using it to run oculus exclusives or keep running things after moving to a different headset.

It's not a guarantee though.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,709 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    The Revive program dburne mentioned is a program that lets other headsets (vive, index, etc) run oculus games.
    It's not perfect and not all games work flawlessly in it, but many are using it to run oculus exclusives or keep running things after moving to a different headset.

Has there been any indication that this will cease to be usable after October?

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,779 Valuable Player
    kevinw729 said:
    kojack said:

Has there been any indication that this will cease to be usable after October?

I've heard nothing so far, but shit would really hit the fan if people are denied using Revive to play games they've purchased from the Oculus store.
    RedRizla said:
    I've heard nothing so far, but shit would really hit the fan if people are denied using Revive to play games they've purchased from the Oculus store.

I agree the eruption from this would be tectonic, but that is partly why I was surprised we have not heard a denial that this is even a thing. I have to deduce that the focus is wholly on FC7 being positively received. So they will do anything to ensure maximum positive optics, and then deal with the bush fires after the event - issues hopefully kicked into the long grass by ensuring positive coverage and positing, (kind'a like what we discussed in the PM). ;) 
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,025 Valuable Player
    bobd14 said:

You might be able to still access them with a hack like revive.  This is why I buy everything on steam
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,794 Valuable Player
    edited September 11

Could be an interesting time on the forums if that was the case in October though.
    WAAAGH!
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,207 Volunteer Moderator
    Why would October have anything to do with Revive? We've been told about the change to the requirements of having a Facebook account but how would that affect Revive? non Oculus headset users would just need Facebook accounts to use social features of Oculus software wouldn't they? the same as Oculus headset users. Hasn this been discussed already though?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,415 Valuable Player
    edited September 12
    kevinw729 said:
    RedRizla said:

I agree the eruption from this would be tectonic, but that is partly why I was surprised we have not heard a denial that this is even a thing. I have to deduce that the focus is wholly on FC7 being positively received. So they will do anything to ensure maximum positive optics, and then deal with the bush fires after the event - issues hopefully kicked into the long grass by ensuring positive coverage and positing, (kind'a like what we discussed in the PM). ;) 

I would not be surprised if 20-25% of users having bought Lone Echo don't own an Oculus HMD. Users with Vive Pro, Pimax and Index hmds probably have much bigger wallets than the average Oculus user - and very capable rigs - and Oculus has the content they want. 
    Closing Revive may hurt Oculus/Facebook more than it may strengthen Oculus hmd sales. Even Jason Rubin has admitted to be using Revive when trying Pimax hmds (I think the discussion was about trying Asgard's Wrath): 

Oculus is of course totally aware of what's going on with Revive, and even top-ranking Oculus employees use it ;) 

Wouldn't be surprised if Carmack's secret favorite VR hmd at home is the Index, lol - Surely Carmack has tried Alyx, Carmack has always been the one to drive high-end gaming forward with Doom and Quake, I'm confident he's not using low-end hmds like Quest Link or Rift-S for Alyx B)  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited September 12
    Why would October have anything to do with Revive? We've been told about the change to the requirements of having a Facebook account but how would that affect Revive? non Oculus headset users would just need Facebook accounts to use social features of Oculus software wouldn't they? the same as Oculus headset users. Hasn this been discussed already though?

That's the problem we haven't been told how this is going to affect Revive. Where has Facebook mentioned what is going to happen with Revive? They could just announce next week that Revive will need a Facebook Social Media account after October, or some other date. But how are we to know unless someone has a link that mentions what Oculus have planned for Revive users?

@RuneSR2 -You could say it might hurt Oculus headset sales because some users don't want to create a Facebook Social Media account, but that hasn't stopped Facebook saying you will need one at some point. What would stop them changing how Revive is used? You could argue that changing Revive might make people buy more Oculus VR headsets for that matter.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,415 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:

That's the problem we haven't been told how this is going to affect Revive. Where has Facebook mentioned what is going to happen with Revive? They could just announce next week that Revive will need a Facebook Social Media account after October, or some other date. But how are we to know unless someone has a link that mentions what Oculus have planned for Revive users?
    I think Revive will work as long as you've got access to your Oculus games and apps - no matter if you use a Facebook or Oculus account. I'm sure many already use a Facebook account for their Oculus games and apps - and use Revive. Never heard of any problems.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited September 12
    RedRizla said:

I gave a fuller explanation of my thoughts in the other thread so I'll copy here:

I would just bare in mind that historically not getting confirmation of bad things happening is only really necessary if we have a reasonable expectation that bad things are going to happen. We've been told about the future of needing a Facebook account and that's it. It's reasonable to say that that will apply to all Oculus accounts including existing accounts used for Revive.

Facebook have the facility for OpenXR to be used in software which indicated to me that the future of all these changes is about getting more Facebook accounts, doesn't matter if the hardware is Oculus or not.

Of course having Oculus hardware that people want to have is important because those headsets will have to have accounts but attracting and maintaining others will also mean accounts.

Bottom line though is Revive isn't officially supported so I'd doubt Facebook would ever make a statement confirming it will continue to work whether that be after October or in 10 years time.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
    @DaftnDirect -I can only hope OpenXR becomes the thing in future because I believe this is what will help VR grow most.
    RedRizla said:
    @DaftnDirect -I can only hope OpenXR becomes the thing in future because I believe this is what will help VR grow most.
    Yes, I agree.

I think the other things worth considering are how all companies with similar interests are chasing accounts rather than chasing exclusivity of hardware compatibility.

Microsoft have been shifting towards providing xbox games for PC and are looking for those all important accounts... Sony are starting to do the same with their PS Now and I have a feeling we're going to see PSVR games come to PC along with a requirement for Sony accounts.
    RuneSR2 said:
    I would not be surprised if 20-25% of users having bought Lone Echo don't own an Oculus HMD. Users with Vive Pro, Pimax and Index hmds probably have much bigger wallets than the average Oculus user - and very capable rigs - and Oculus has the content they want. 
    Closing Revive may hurt Oculus/Facebook more than it may strengthen Oculus hmd sales. Even Jason Rubin has admitted to be using Revive when trying Pimax hmds (I think the discussion was about trying Asgard's Wrath): 

Oculus is of course totally aware of what's going on with Revive, and even top-ranking Oculus employees use it ;) 

Wouldn't be surprised if Carmack's secret favorite VR hmd at home is the Index, lol - Surely Carmack has tried Alyx, Carmack has always been the one to drive high-end gaming forward with Doom and Quake, I'm confident he's not using low-end hmds like Quest Link or Rift-S for Alyx B)  

As always, thanks for sharing this. Was not aware of the Tweet. But can not be surprised about the ubiquity of the ReViVE usage - part of the reason I original brought it up as a interesting observation, (and was frankly surprised it was treated as a non issue?) But I understand we are in information management mode at the moment in anticipation of FC7.

I know a lot of devs that use ReViVE to evaluate headsets - most of the new demos of Robot Recall on the Reverb G2 are examples of this. I dont actually think they would go that far and block anything at this time. October is the start of the "frog boiling" period - no need to rush head long in. 
    RedRizla said:

We have asked numerous times across the forums - no one has one.
    We may have to wait till next week, or more likely October to see how the transition works. But again the lack of the Road Map, rather than depending on 2014 video presentations of former members of the team for commitment is an issue that leaves some of us uneasy. But I am sure others are perfectly fine with this - so there is nothing to it. :)
    Oculus won't provide a roadmap for something that isn't supported.
    edited September 12
    @RedRizla I would also consider who is consistently pessimistic about the future of Oculus consumer VR and who is optimistic and where their interests lie.
    edited September 12
    Oculus won't provide a roadmap for something that isn't supported.

Totally agree - but if they were closing the door on a loop hole (their perception not mine) then it would be the kind of thing to signal?
    edited September 12
    Doesn't the requirement for a facebook account close the door? again, why would a block on Revive be needed as well?

The answer to that is it wouldn't be needed, and asking for a roadmap from Oculus for something that isn't supported is pointless.
    edited September 12
    @RedRizla I would also consider who is consistently pessimistic about the future of Oculus consumer VR and who is optimistic and where their interests lie.

Considering somethings have changed with Oculus since I became a user back in 2013, I can't help but feel pessimistic. Right now I could lose software I've purchased because I'm not going create a Facebook Social Media account. Had I known I would have to create a Social Media account back then, I doubt I would have purchased these games. First I lost features I once had and now I stand to lose games I purchased at some point. So yeah, sorry for not feeling very optimistic.
    You will lose the social features of Oculus software as we all will if we don't have a facebook account.
    Doesn't the requirement for a facebook account close the door? again, why would a block on Revive be needed as well?

The answer to that is it wouldn't be needed, and asking for a roadmap from Oculus for something that isn't supported is pointless.

I see your point - as they do not really recognize ReViVE then they do not care one way or the other - even if members of their dev team are using it for evaluation and admit its value - it is not really their concern.

I think you may accidently miss construed what was mentioned by the Road Map - this was more a direction of the company on hardware, there was no real need for ReViVE to be mentioned, more a question on if it would be actively blocked, and from what you allude too they would not admit or deny that in the first place.

The Road Map is contentious I know - constraining the operation to abide by a fixed path, when all around is changing. No corporation would normally do this but expect the loyalty of their customer-base, and those influencing it, to follow their lead. Its just that Oculus/Facebook is in a unusual position of having (passengers) customer on their "cruise ship" that had paid for a destination, and would like to know that is still the intention. How the captain sails the ship is their secret, just that the target harbor is the same as they paid for. And no amount of mental gymnastics can say they have really made an official statement on this intent - the Facebook ID announcement was the first real information given by the operation since recent restructuring. 
    As I say, the whole industry is moving towards account harvesting and away from hardware exclusivity, Microsoft, Sony and I have little doubt facebook too.
    edited September 12
    You will lose the social features of Oculus software as we all will if we don't have a facebook account.

How do you come to that conclusion? From what I'm hearing if I don't create a Facebook Social Media account after 2023 then I will lose access to my games. For those who don't mind creating a Social Media account, or already have one like yourself, then it's not a problem. For people like myself who don't want to create a Social media account, it is a problem.

I must now decide if I should continue to buy Oculus exclusives, knowing there will come a time when I can't play these games. I will also have to repurchase other games I've already got on Oculus store from Steam at some point. Unless Oculus or the devs of these games kindly give me a Steam key to use.
    edited September 12
    As I say, the whole industry is moving towards account harvesting and away from hardware exclusivity, Microsoft, Sony and I have little doubt facebook too.

Sorry, that does kind of read as a "all encompassing" statement - the industry is split into [simplistically] three distinctive areas in VR manufacture (Enterprise, Consumer, and Education], and not all of those (by any stretch) in the mid-term, are looking at "account harvesting" - that is totally impractical, and in some cases just too hot a topic to be considered, (I think the Facebook ID situation illustrates that perfectly).

I would say that an "agnostic" view to hardware is being natured in the PC-VR community, though this seems a slow path, (though the XR2 chip could accelerate this). But in Standalone, it would seem that only Facebook has openly illustrated interest to "harvest" accounts.

Many content providers are now evaluating their position if they want their games to be "harvested" for information on both a ethical and financial basis, so making the questions on if products like ReViVE could or would be allowed to continue as we know them - even more pointed.