cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well the future is bleak, ladies and gentlemen.

Double_Shot
Adventurer
As of October 11th you WILL submit to your Facebook overlords or forever give up enjoying VR with the Oculus technology sans FB's ridiculously awful privacy overreaches.  

If I read all their legalese right, we will still be able to use current (keyword "current") Oculus technology without setting up an account but it is clear that you will need one to use future Oculus tech.  However, even at that, you must sign on to the new Oculus terms of service on that date which will allow major Facebook privacy intrusions even if you do not have an account.

Bye bye, Oculus.  It's been a good run, but I flat out refuse to submit to the heavy hand of Facebook.

What a damn bummer.
14 REPLIES 14

TheFugg
Honored Guest
I, like many others will rejoice when we light the bonfires and toss the oculus hardware into the flames while raising the middle finger against the tyrant like button corporate thumb suckers.

I used to enjoy my oculus rift headset and even considered getting a quest, but as it turns out I will be voting with my wallet against this anti-consumer move and never looking back.

Goodbye Oculus 

Double_Shot
Adventurer
Yep, likewise.  I spent 4 months on the Rift S waiting list and finally got it just a couple months ago.  It and my Rift CV1 will be getting put up for sale on Craigslist on October 10th.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I think the better perspective here is included in Romer's Rule. Basically the rule says that if you want to stay the same in an ever-changing world, you need to constantly change and adapt.

So for how long can Oculus stay the same is the fundamental question.

Oculus did not sell 25 mill hmds as expected during the first years, in fact today close to no one has bought a hmd - not even Quest has made VR part of everyday life for the majority ordinary persons. Only 2% of Steam users have a hmd! I'm thinking that including Oculus into Facebook Reality Labs may be a way to better secure the survival of Oculus and VR. In fact so little has happend in the Oculus Store and desktop app the last years, I would not have been surprised if smaller companies than Facebook may have chosen to close Oculus to avoid further losses, maybe even years ago. Of course Pimax and HTC are still surviving, but I'm sure it's not all roses and violets, lol (and HTC may thank Google for keeping that company afloat). 

Romer's rule The proposal, first made by A. S. Romer, that the effect of many important evolutionary changes is to enable organisms to continue in the same way of life, rather than to adapt to a new one. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Romer's Rule is what I'm doing... selling Oculus hardware and changing my VR to a better company.
I'm upset that I have recently bought a Rift-s and that it will be mandatory that in a few years I HAVE to give up my privacy to use the Rift-s.  I would NEVER have bought the Rift-s if I'd known that. 
Its the principle of the matter, almost criminal in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell I'm not.

You can use your Oculus account until January 1 2023 - in these times that's like 100 years into the future, lol 😉 In Jan 2023 RTX Series 40 may have arrived and few might be using Rift-S - or you'll long have been out of warranty and the hmd may no longer work, who knows. 

I'll worry about changing my Oculus account in 2023, and I'll enjoy my dear Rift CV1 for as long as possible. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Double_Shot
Adventurer

RuneSR2 said:

Romer's Rule is what I'm doing... selling Oculus hardware and changing my VR to a better company.
I'm upset that I have recently bought a Rift-s and that it will be mandatory that in a few years I HAVE to give up my privacy to use the Rift-s.  I would NEVER have bought the Rift-s if I'd known that. 
Its the principle of the matter, almost criminal in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell I'm not.

You can use your Oculus account until January 1 2023 - in these times that's like 100 years into the future, lol 😉 In Jan 2023 RTX Series 40 may have arrived and few might be using Rift-S - or you'll long have been out of warranty and the hmd may no longer work, who knows. 

I'll worry about changing my Oculus account in 2023, and I'll enjoy my dear Rift CV1 for as long as possible. 

You do realize though, that you will still be forced to sign on to Facebook's anal probing next month right?  Go read the new terms.  I did and that's exactly what it says.  You don't have to have the FB account yet but you will be having all the rest of that "great"  FB stuff forced upon you which is where the rubber meets the road anyway.  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

You do realize though, that you will still be forced to sign on to Facebook's anal probing next month right?  Go read the new terms.  I did and that's exactly what it says.  You don't have to have the FB account yet but you will be having all the rest of that "great"  FB stuff forced upon you which is where the rubber meets the road anyway.  

Oculus has been Facebook for many years. You've been sending your data to Facebook ever since you started using a Rift hmd.

Double_Shot
Adventurer

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

Oculus has been Facebook for many years. You've been sending your data to Facebook ever since you started using a Rift hmd.

So, obviously you haven't read the new TOS.  When you go read it come on back and have a discussion.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RuneSR2 said:

RuneSR2 said:

So, obviously you haven't read the new TOS.  When you go read it come on back and have a discussion.

I certainly did - I got this message, and I'm fine with all of it - couldn't really care less:

cchz0uw6sqfa.jpg

OneVOneMe
Explorer
Why do people care that they need too log in via Facebook? Even if it's a data issue, why care about your data being used? I just never understood why people wanna be so anonymous...