New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Well the future is bleak, ladies and gentlemen.

Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 58
Hiro Protagonist
edited September 11 in Support
As of October 11th you WILL submit to your Facebook overlords or forever give up enjoying VR with the Oculus technology sans FB's ridiculously awful privacy overreaches.  

If I read all their legalese right, we will still be able to use current (keyword "current") Oculus technology without setting up an account but it is clear that you will need one to use future Oculus tech.  However, even at that, you must sign on to the new Oculus terms of service on that date which will allow major Facebook privacy intrusions even if you do not have an account.

Bye bye, Oculus.  It's been a good run, but I flat out refuse to submit to the heavy hand of Facebook.

What a damn bummer.

Comments

• TheFuggTheFugg Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I, like many others will rejoice when we light the bonfires and toss the oculus hardware into the flames while raising the middle finger against the tyrant like button corporate thumb suckers.

I used to enjoy my oculus rift headset and even considered getting a quest, but as it turns out I will be voting with my wallet against this anti-consumer move and never looking back.

Goodbye Oculus 
  • Double_ShotDouble_Shot Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yep, likewise.  I spent 4 months on the Rift S waiting list and finally got it just a couple months ago.  It and my Rift CV1 will be getting put up for sale on Craigslist on October 10th.
  • afrealkellyafrealkelly Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    edited September 11
    Same here, I'm devastated about this news. Selling everything Oculus that I own. Facebook has such a bad reputation that this is the worst thing that can happen to VR. I'm amazed this is allowed to happen. Shame on all involved.

Remember to do this when you leave.

Delete your Oculus Account

If you don't think you'll use Oculus again, you can request to have your account permanently deleted. Please bear in mind that you won't be able to reactivate your account or retrieve anything that you've added. You'll also lose access to all of your VR apps, purchases, any content that you have created associated with your Oculus account, and also your Friends list and any history of interactions with other users on the platform. Before you do this, you may want to Download Your Information from Oculus.
    If you decide that you no longer wish to use Oculus, you can request to permanently delete your Oculus account using the button below.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,422 Valuable Player
    I think the better perspective here is included in Romer's Rule. Basically the rule says that if you want to stay the same in an ever-changing world, you need to constantly change and adapt.

So for how long can Oculus stay the same is the fundamental question.

Oculus did not sell 25 mill hmds as expected during the first years, in fact today close to no one has bought a hmd - not even Quest has made VR part of everyday life for the majority ordinary persons. Only 2% of Steam users have a hmd! I'm thinking that including Oculus into Facebook Reality Labs may be a way to better secure the survival of Oculus and VR. In fact so little has happend in the Oculus Store and desktop app the last years, I would not have been surprised if smaller companies than Facebook may have chosen to close Oculus to avoid further losses, maybe even years ago. Of course Pimax and HTC are still surviving, but I'm sure it's not all roses and violets, lol (and HTC may thank Google for keeping that company afloat). 

Romer's rule The proposal, first made by A. S. Romer, that the effect of many important evolutionary changes is to enable organisms to continue in the same way of life, rather than to adapt to a new one. 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • afrealkellyafrealkelly Posts: 12
    Brain Burst
    edited September 12
    Romer's Rule is what I'm doing... selling Oculus hardware and changing my VR to a better company.
    I'm upset that I have recently bought a Rift-s and that it will be mandatory that in a few years I HAVE to give up my privacy to use the Rift-s.  I would NEVER have bought the Rift-s if I'd known that. 
    Its the principle of the matter, almost criminal in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell I'm not.

Romer's Rule is what I'm doing... selling Oculus hardware and changing my VR to a better company.
    I'm upset that I have recently bought a Rift-s and that it will be mandatory that in a few years I HAVE to give up my privacy to use the Rift-s.  I would NEVER have bought the Rift-s if I'd known that. 
    Its the principle of the matter, almost criminal in my opinion. I hope I'm wrong, but as far as I can tell I'm not.

You can use your Oculus account until January 1 2023 - in these times that's like 100 years into the future, lol ;) In Jan 2023 RTX Series 40 may have arrived and few might be using Rift-S - or you'll long have been out of warranty and the hmd may no longer work, who knows. 

I'll worry about changing my Oculus account in 2023, and I'll enjoy my dear Rift CV1 for as long as possible. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 12
    RuneSR2 said:

You can use your Oculus account until January 1 2023 - in these times that's like 100 years into the future, lol ;) In Jan 2023 RTX Series 40 may have arrived and few might be using Rift-S - or you'll long have been out of warranty and the hmd may no longer work, who knows. 

I'll worry about changing my Oculus account in 2023, and I'll enjoy my dear Rift CV1 for as long as possible. 
    You do realize though, that you will still be forced to sign on to Facebook's anal probing next month right?  Go read the new terms.  I did and that's exactly what it says.  You don't have to have the FB account yet but you will be having all the rest of that "great"  FB stuff forced upon you which is where the rubber meets the road anyway.  
    RuneSR2 said:

You do realize though, that you will still be forced to sign on to Facebook's anal probing next month right?  Go read the new terms.  I did and that's exactly what it says.  You don't have to have the FB account yet but you will be having all the rest of that "great"  FB stuff forced upon you which is where the rubber meets the road anyway.  

Oculus has been Facebook for many years. You've been sending your data to Facebook ever since you started using a Rift hmd.

Hiro Protagonist
    edited September 12
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Oculus has been Facebook for many years. You've been sending your data to Facebook ever since you started using a Rift hmd.
    So, obviously you haven't read the new TOS.  When you go read it come on back and have a discussion.
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

So, obviously you haven't read the new TOS.  When you go read it come on back and have a discussion.

I certainly did - I got this message, and I'm fine with all of it - couldn't really care less:

• xTheLegendxxTheLegendx Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Why do people care that they need too log in via Facebook? Even if it's a data issue, why care about your data being used? I just never understood why people wanna be so anonymous...
  • synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 206
    Nexus 6
    Most have a facebook account and have been using it for years. Damage already done ?
    More worried about Covid than a bloody facebook login.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,794 Valuable Player
    Bye yall.
    WAAAGH!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,783 Valuable Player
    edited September 12
    I'm Morgrum .......
    Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I certainly did - I got this message, and I'm fine with all of it - couldn't really care less:

You do realize there's more to it than the emailed notification, right?   And if you don't care then (shrug) whatever.  But don't say you don't care and then fall all over yourself to try and tell the world you don't care.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 944
    3Jane
    edited September 13
    Why do people care that they need too log in via Facebook? Even if it's a data issue, why care about your data being used? I just never understood why people wanna be so anonymous...

Ohhhh come on now....how i'm i NOT supppsed to point out the irony of this reply, so unfair. lol