cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a 6600k overclocked enough for oculus link in 2020?

Chong_Li
Explorer
Hi I have a gtx 1070 and  6600K. I noticed lots of the newer rift s games recommended cpus had more threads and higher speeds. If I can overclock the 6600k will it be enough. I might upgrade to a 1080 soon. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a 6700k or 7700k. What kind of resolution do you think I could run at 72 fps with my current set up? How much of a difference would an overclocked 6700k make? Thanks for any advice.
4 REPLIES 4

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The processor is not usually the limiting factor for PCVR. Link in particular doesn’t add any significant CPU load, since the video compression/encoding is handled by the GPU, and the tracking is processed by the Quest. I think you should be fine with your current CPU.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Chong_Li
Explorer
Thanks for the reply.  I just got a really good deal on a 1080 ti. I really want to max out the resolution on the quest. Do you think I'm still good with the 6600k or will it bottleneck the gpu much?

zork2001
Heroic Explorer
I upgraded my i5-6600k immediately to an i7-9700k after watching this video. Short answer it works but I do feel like it sometimes it throttles my 1080 TI on certain games.

https://youtu.be/LCV9yyD8X6M

Chong_Li
Explorer
Was your 6600k overclocked?