cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest Question

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
I had Rift S. Sold it. Interested into buying Quest 2.
I don't understand some things about Quest, so if someone could clarify. Since i had Rift S, i purchased some games on Oculus PC app. If i connect Quest to my PC via link cable, can i play those games like i played them on Rift S? What about SteamVR? I played Half Life Alyx on Rift S. Will i be able to play Steam VR games on Quest 2 over link cable? How does the install procedure work on quest? Can i buy games on my oculus desktop app and then transfer supported games over link cable to my Quest? Or do i really need to buy it over mobile app? Because on desktop i have unlimited internet, but on smartphone i have 10GB of monthly data in subscription.
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Basically your streaming your games from your PC via the link cable ... I only have a quest and have purchased both Rift S and Steam VR games which work very well but be warned, You really need a decent PC with a great Gfx Card to be able to get great results.

kojack
MVP
MVP
As synchromesh62 says, it's streaming.
When you connect the Quest to a PC using a USB cable, the desktop app treats the Quest as if it was a Rift. All standard Rift software will run on it, including SteamVR. I'm not aware of any PC VR app that doesn't work on Quest when linked.
Due to being streamed, there can be artifacts. It's a compressed video stream, not direct video feed like a Rift. It's generally pretty good.

When it comes to stand alone games (running the Quest on its own with no PC link), some games are cross-buy. This means buying on one store (like Rift) gives you the Quest version for free (and vice versa). Not everything is cross buy though (for example Beat Saber needs to be bought twice if you want PC and Quest versions).

The Quest needs the mobile phone for setup and you can use the mobile app to buy games (or use the website store), but it doesn't download them. It tells the Quest to install it. The Quest downloads over wifi. So if you have wifi for your unlimited internet, that's what's used.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
What is the max bandwidth of link cable? I have X570 motherboard with USB 3.2. That's up to 10Gbit/s available if cable supports it.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Regardless of the cable, Link is limited to 150Mbps due to the decoding in the Quest.

It's possible the Quest 2 (with faster gpu) can handle a higher bandwidth.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
Yup. I really hope they improve that. Considering Quest 2 will have higher resolution display. I found that the link cable has bandwidth up to 1.6Gbit/s. At 04:50 in video. So yeah. It's a limit of that 835 processor. XR2 should be a lot more capable.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
With the Quest 1, the limit was not the cable, but the video decoder in the Quest’s processor. The SnapDragon 835 could only handle about 150 Mbps. Oculus did an extremely good job of compressing and minimizing the signal to squeeze it though that bottleneck, and the resulting experience was much better than you would expect.

The new Quest 2 has a much more powerful SnapDragon XR2 processor, which should do a better job with Link, but we will have to wait and see how well Link works with it. Perhaps we’ll find out more tomorrow when it’s officially revealed at Facebook Connect. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

LoneEcho
Expert Protege
Can i connect quest my to home router over wi fi for updating and setting up its software? I use a 4G router. So it's basically mobile internet. A SIM card in a router connected to PC and flat rate traffic.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Yes, WiFi is the only way that Quest connects to the internet for downloading software.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo