New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

I don't agree to the new terms of service

Michael_JacobsenMichael_Jacobsen Posts: 1
NerveGear
edited September 15 in General
I do not agree to the new terms of service I recently received. I don't want to ever use a Facebook account with my Rift S. 
I regard this change in terms to be a violation of promises made by the company that this would never happen.
How can I return my Rift S for a refund. I have contacted support about it too.

Comments

  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 962
    3Jane
    You still have until Jan 21st 2023 to use it as you do now, so you basically got still over 2 years to continue to use the rift without a FB account, then i suspect there will be alot more VR options open to the consumer.......but if you are in the UK/EU  then you can return your S to the place of purchase citing the change being made after you bough the product as you have a 2 year standard warrenty,, but outside the EU i don't know what kind of warrenties are given.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,717 Valuable Player
    Look I just need to say - the official statement states that "....functionality will be impacted as time goes one towards the January 2023 date..."[paraphrased] Its not cut and dry @OmegaM4N that things will be unchanged till BANG we hit New Year 2023 - there are suggestions that functionality will be gearing down.

  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,052 Valuable Player
    edited September 15
    This was posted on FB a short while ago...

    "If you log in using your Facebook account or merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts and violate the Facebook Community Standards, Conduct in VR Policy or other terms and policies on any of our platforms your access to or use of Oculus products may be impacted," a spokesperson replied.
    "If your account is fully disabled as a result of this violation you may also lose access to your [games and content]. We are committed to keeping all of our platforms safer."
    This appears to apply to a wide range of violations, including infractions like violence, criminal behavior, and fraud, as well as using pseudonyms instead of real names, using a fake date of birth, posting graphic content or anything else Facebook deems objectionable."
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,770 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    Look I just need to say - the official statement states that "....functionality will be impacted as time goes one towards the January 2023 date..."[paraphrased]
    Citation please.

    The announcement says:

    Starting in October 2020:

    • Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

    • If you are an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you will have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

    • If you are an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

    Starting In January 2023:

    • We will end support for Oculus accounts.

    • If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account.

    • We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased.




    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 962
    3Jane
    edited September 15
    kevinw729 said:
    Look I just need to say - the official statement states that "....functionality will be impacted as time goes one towards the January 2023 date..."[paraphrased] Its not cut and dry @OmegaM4N that things will be unchanged till BANG we hit New Year 2023 - there are suggestions that functionality will be gearing down.


    I am just pointing out the basics without going into too much detail, and yes thing could change in a heartbeat when it comes to FB, that is the only true constant in all this.;)
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 561
    Neo
    edited September 15
    @ OP, like Omega said, you have until Jan 2023 before you need to act. Until then you are free to use your Rift S without a FB account.
    That said, even after 2023 approaches, the User Account FAQ states you'll still have access to your Rift S even if you don't merge your FB account (but it does sound like you may lose access to some Oculus games/experiences).
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,717 Valuable Player
    OmegaM4N said:
    kevinw729 said:
    Look I just need to say - the official statement states that "....functionality will be impacted as time goes one towards the January 2023 date..."[paraphrased] Its not cut and dry @OmegaM4N that things will be unchanged till BANG we hit New Year 2023 - there are suggestions that functionality will be gearing down.


    I am just pointing out the basics without going into too much detail, and yes thing could change in a heartbeat when it comes to FB, that is the only true constant in all this.;)

    Oh Bro., not arguing with you in the slightest.
    I have clients that had the rug pulled from a agreement on ToS in a heartbeat, and that doubled down on the issue with depending on the "word" of a company that has revision 8.3 of their ToS on line at the moment!

    I expect in 2023 a lot of posters suddenly saying - "hey that was not the deal!"




  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    The thing that concerns me, is that I have two Rifts and a Quest so that my kids can play with me when they come visit. I have two Facebook accounts, one with my legal name and a second with my Chinese name (I also speak Chinese). 

    How would I be able to buy several headsets, buy multiple versions of a game so we can play multiplayer if I am limited to a single Facebook account? Unless they have family sharing or multiple user accounts on one device, it won't work.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 962
    3Jane
    ^^^Tell me about it, i ran a floor covering business for many years but had to close down because the rug was pulled for beneath me.

    I am hear all week. lol

  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,799 Valuable Player

    WAAAGH!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,717 Valuable Player
    - For some its a matter of concern regarding their feelings about Facebook
    - For some its a matter of levity, for funny comments
    - For some its a disappointment regarding an investment made and now to be abandoned
    - For some its not important and they will support whatever
    - For some its a brand new opportunity they look forward to trying

    Its a interesting mix of positions - I wonder who will get the most from this... other than Facebook! 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,411 Valuable Player
    edited September 15
    kevinw729 said:
    - For some its a matter of concern regarding their feelings about Facebook
    - For some its a matter of levity, for funny comments
    - For some its a disappointment regarding an investment made and now to be abandoned
    - For some its not important and they will support whatever
    - For some its a brand new opportunity they look forward to trying

    We forgot one!

    - For some it's an opportunity to log in the OculusVR.com Forum and help fan the flames of dissenting views.


    kojack said:

    The announcement says:

    Starting in October 2020:

    • Everyone using an Oculus device for the first time will need to log in with a Facebook account.

    • If you are an existing user and already have an Oculus account, you will have the option to log in with Facebook and merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts.

    • If you are an existing user and choose not to merge your accounts, you can continue using your Oculus account for two years.

    Starting In January 2023:

    • We will end support for Oculus accounts.

    • If you choose not to merge your accounts at that time, you can continue using your device, but full functionality will require a Facebook account.

    • We will take steps to allow you to keep using content you have purchased, though some games and apps may no longer work. This could be because they require a Facebook account or because a developer has chosen to no longer support the app or game you purchased.



    Yep! I have nothing to add. I just felt like the actual facts deserved to be seen at least twice amongst the hyperbole.
     :) 
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,025 Valuable Player
    dburne said:
    This was posted on FB a short while ago...

    "If you log in using your Facebook account or merge your Oculus and Facebook accounts and violate the Facebook Community Standards, Conduct in VR Policy or other terms and policies on any of our platforms your access to or use of Oculus products may be impacted," a spokesperson replied.
    "If your account is fully disabled as a result of this violation you may also lose access to your [games and content]. We are committed to keeping all of our platforms safer."
    This appears to apply to a wide range of violations, including infractions like violence, criminal behavior, and fraud, as well as using pseudonyms instead of real names, using a fake date of birth, posting graphic content or anything else Facebook deems objectionable."

    Or perhaps if you post and have conservative view points....

    I will no longer support Oculus, I'll keep using the Rift CV1.  The concerns over bans is what I was worried about and they'll do just like I thought.  It took me a damn month to get my business facebook page back because I logged in from a new laptop then that set off an investigation that required me to harass 3 of my friends to vouch for me, then they wanted ID and a utility bill.  The fact that a ban on their super liberal BBS can affect your gaming library that you paid real world money for is absolutely unacceptable.  It's their product to do with as they please and I expected them to tie everything into your facebook account.  The punative threat from a company that silences accounts that have political view points that the host company doesn't agree with is what I will not subject myself to.  I was going to get that new Modern Warfare exclusive they've been working on....  I'll skip it, I've got enough good games and they're all on steam so I won't be screwed if I were to lose access to my facebook account.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,411 Valuable Player
    edited September 15
    falken76 said:
    Or perhaps if you post and have conservative view points....


    Nope, that is fake news. I already shared multiple links to conservative view points, and all other views across the political and religious spectrum. Even Flat Earthers have their own Facebook Groups.

    If you have chosen a headset other than Oculus or Facebook, then that's fine. But you should do so happily! Enjoy your new journey. I see no reason to start spreading untruths on an Oculus forum simply because you are choosing a non-Oculus path.

    I mean... I don't own the Valve Index, but that doesn't mean I'm going to head over to the Steam Forums and claim that Valve only allows Flat Earthers to post! lol
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,025 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    falken76 said:
    Or perhaps if you post and have conservative view points....


    Nope, that is fake news. I already shared multiple links to conservative view points, and all other views across the political and religious spectrum. Even Flat Earthers have their own Facebook Groups.

    If you have chosen a headset other than Oculus or Facebook, then that's fine. But you should do so happily! Enjoy your new journey. I see no reason to start spreading untruths on an Oculus forum simply because you are choosing a non-Oculus path.

    I mean... I don't own the Valve Index, but that doesn't mean I'm going to head over to the Steam Forums and claim that Valve only allows Flat Earthers to post! lol

    Fair enough, however that's why I used the word "perhaps".  I just don't trust the whole thing, I don't think they should ban you from your games if you get banned on facebook since you paid money for it.  But it's not really that big a deal since I don't buy my games through them anyhow because I just preferred steam since I used them for so long.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,411 Valuable Player
    falken76 said:
    Zenbane said:
    falken76 said:
    Or perhaps if you post and have conservative view points....


    Nope, that is fake news. I already shared multiple links to conservative view points, and all other views across the political and religious spectrum. Even Flat Earthers have their own Facebook Groups.

    If you have chosen a headset other than Oculus or Facebook, then that's fine. But you should do so happily! Enjoy your new journey. I see no reason to start spreading untruths on an Oculus forum simply because you are choosing a non-Oculus path.

    I mean... I don't own the Valve Index, but that doesn't mean I'm going to head over to the Steam Forums and claim that Valve only allows Flat Earthers to post! lol

    Fair enough, however that's why I used the word "perhaps". 

    Adding perhaps doesn't really help when something is blatantly untrue though.

    Here's a false statement:
    • falken is really a duck

    Obviously, you're not a duck! You're a person. But what if I said this:
    • perhaps falken is really a duck

    Did adding "perhaps" really help anything? 


    falken76 said:
     I just don't trust the whole thing, I don't think they should ban you from your games if you get banned on facebook since you paid money for it.  

    I guess it would depend on the severity of the infraction. However, it's all speculation anyway. None of this has been 100% set-in-stone confirmed by Facebook. Most of this type of rhetoric comes from people who are moving away from Oculus but want to twist things negatively in the process.
  • DTHDTH Posts: 269
    Nexus 6
    All I know is I started the Gear, then moved up to the Rift, and now use the Rift S.  All of them without any problems and Very good at taking me into the room, game, and much more.  I use my Rift S as long as I can without a FB account because I see no reason to have one.
  • AntonyvwAntonyvw Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    I do not believe in giving Facebook a lot of information about me. So at present Im wondering if I should start planning to buy maybe the Vive instead of being forced to accept something that I did not agree to
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,411 Valuable Player
    Antonyvw said:
    I do not believe in giving Facebook a lot of information about me. 

    You are already giving them your info with your current Oculus account. Even your post now is info that you just gave to facebook.

    If you use their Social Media service for VR, then you still control how much info you give them. Just like you're controlling it right now.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,234 Volunteer Moderator
    Can you please contribute to the main thread on this subject? it's very active and usually on the first page of the forum...

    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/92239/facebook-account-required-for-new-oculus-hmd-users-oct-2020-existing-users-can-wait-to-jan-2023#latest

    Having multiple discussions going on at the same time on the same subject causes points to be missed or repeated.

    thanks
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
This discussion has been closed.