New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Should I buy a Quest now or wait for the Quest 2?

I got a new job and they haven't put me on the payroll yet, so my check is going to be big! The main reason I wanted a job so bad was to fuel my heroin habit play/record VR. I was thinking about getting the $399 64gb one but then I heard they were making a new 64gb version for only $299? Should I buy it now or wait?


  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,770 Volunteer Moderator
    Well, the Quest 2 is being announced tomorrow, so maybe wait a day to decide? :)
    We don't know when ordering is starting or how long it will take to ship.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 116
    I am passing on a rumor that seemed to have multiple confirmations that the Quest 2 will be available on October 13. Supposedly, there are already units at some retailers with a sign that says "do not place on the floor before October 13." Just a rumor, but it seemed well substantiated.

    Also, same source claimed the $299 64GB and $399 256GB rumor to also be correct.

    For the OP, I don't know that you have a choice, because I don't think any retailers have Quests in stock now.
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • StrongitStrongit Posts: 93
    Hiro Protagonist
    Short answer: Wait until tomorrow to see what the quest 2 looks like, then decide.

    Long answer:  That will depend on a lot of things.  Support for the quest 1 isn't going to go away and I imagine a LOT of people are going to be trading up and selling their old units; I'm considering it myself.  If you are OK with using a first gen unit you'll be able to get them quite cheap used.  Just be sure to test them first, there can be some issues with used units like lens scratches or banged up controllers.

    If you have to have the newest the 2 is looking good and cheaper than a new gen 1 (if the rumors are to be believed) but again, wait until everything is revealed tomorrow.  You may also have to wait for supply since I imagine the stock will be just as sparse as the first one.

    All that said the new facebook integration is cause for concern for privacy.  If you have a beefy enough PC the reverb g2 is looking good but you will be tethered to your computer.
Sign In or Register to comment.