New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Whats happened to Lone Echo 2?

AntonyvwAntonyvw Posts: 14
Brain Burst
As the title says what has happened to Lone Echo 2? I havent seen any info since they said it was delayed till this year. But we are now in 3rd quarter and still no new news since telling us delays due to Covid-19. Is it still happening? When are we likely to see it?

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,643 Valuable Player
    The best anyone knows is 2020.  When in 2020 we do no know.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• AntonyvwAntonyvw Posts: 14
    Brain Burst
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I am wondering if it will launch with quest 2 and not actually be available for anything else?
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,051 Valuable Player
    Or will Oculus open it up to Steam as well like they have done with Medal of Honor.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,489 Valuable Player
    Antonyvw said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I am wondering if it will launch with quest 2 and not actually be available for anything else?
    No, then Oculus would surely have mentioned it by now. Lone Echo has less than 5,000 ratings in the store indicating that the game sold much less than many might have hoped for. Surely it will never be an exclusive game for Quest 2, I'm fully convinced that most Quest 2 owners do not have rigs capable of running Lone Echo 2. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • KNP54KNP54 Posts: 292
    Nexus 6
    They mentioned Lone Echo 2 in the Developer super session... Just the name, and that's it...
    Specs: Delidded i7-8086k @ 5.0 GHz all cores, NZXT X52 cooler, 32GB G.Skill 3200MHz, ASRock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, Asus GTX 1080 Strix, Corsair SF600 platinum, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB + 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Louqe Ghost S1, Asus PB287Q 3840x2160 @ 60Hz, Samsung SyncMaster 226BW 1680x1050 @ 60Hz. Oculus Rift S.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,411 Valuable Player
    Since Lone Echo 2 was built to take full advantage of the Rift for high-end PCVR, I think we can safely assume that it will still get released but won't get too much advertising from Facebook or Oculus. The reason being that they are now pushing Quest and All-in-One PCVR as their primary, and only, platform. Lone Echo 2 doesn't really fall in line with this strategy since Lone Echo 2 screams, "Hey, here is something the Rift can do better than Quest!"

Any final projects that are better suited for Rift will probably get "silent releases" as they continue down their new path.

As Rune pointed out above, Lone Echo part 1 didn't sell very well despite being one of the most amazing AAA experiences available for high-end PCVR. The consumer market is just too small; hence the reason Facebook is pushing for the lower end Quest market.

Lone Echo 2 will arrive. It just won't get a big push since it is catered to Rift.
    Brain Burst
    Zenbane said:
    Since Lone Echo 2 was built to take full advantage of the Rift for high-end PCVR, I think we can safely assume that it will still get released but won't get too much advertising from Facebook or Oculus. The reason being that they are now pushing Quest and All-in-One PCVR as their primary, and only, platform. Lone Echo 2 doesn't really fall in line with this strategy since Lone Echo 2 screams, "Hey, here is something the Rift can do better than Quest!"

Any final projects that are better suited for Rift will probably get "silent releases" as they continue down their new path.

As Rune pointed out above, Lone Echo part 1 didn't sell very well despite being one of the most amazing AAA experiences available for high-end PCVR. The consumer market is just too small; hence the reason Facebook is pushing for the lower end Quest market.

Lone Echo 2 will arrive. It just won't get a big push since it is catered to Rift.
    Its such a shame. Ive played the Lone Echo through several time and enjoyed it every time. I  had/have high hopes for it, but the longer they delay it the more I am beginning to wonder why they cant see that they have already spent money on its development, that they cant give it the launch it deserves. 
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 561
    Neo
    edited September 18
    Antonyvw said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

During the Connect 7 Keynote they mentioned Lone Echo 2 as a 'PC VR' game.  If it was coming to Quest 2 as a native standalone game, I would think they would have outright stated that if it was coming to both Quest 2 and PCVR.

If I had to take a guess, I bet Ready at Dawn was encouraged to pivot towards releasing EchoVR for the Quest ASAP.  The Quest port of EchoVR was initially delayed; thus Lone Echo 2 was probably thrown on the back burner.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,550 Valuable Player
    Not sure you can base success on the reviews though for Lone Echo 1 maybe the PC master race are just lazy buggers. I never post reviews.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 561
    Neo
    edited September 18
    Not sure you can base success on the reviews though for Lone Echo 1 maybe the PC master race are just lazy buggers. I never post reviews.
    The Oculus Producer for Asgard's Wrath specifically encouraged users to leave a review if they liked the game.  While he didn't say it directly and some of the context is lost since it happened a year ago, I do remember getting the impression from his replies that future game development may be tied to simple metrics like the number of reviews it has.

John Carmack also stressed the point of voting for ideas on the User Voice site during his OC6 talk.  Again, it seems like focus is given towards ideas that have a metric behind them like how many votes it has.

By comparison, the Quest store and User Voice just blows out of the water anything from the Rift side.  Quest games have way more reviews, the Quest User Voice site has way more votes for proposed ideas.

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Sure, I think we counted that 1 in 40 persons rated Alyx on Steam - so about 25k ratings when SteamSpy said 1 million users owned the game. That ratio may of course differ from game to game - but still might give us some idea of the connection between sales and ratings. If I remember correctly, estimates based on other games was from 1/20 to 1/100 users writing a review, so there may be large variations, but seeing that Lone Echo has gotten like 1/3 of the ratings given to Total Recall I doubt that Lone Echo has been even close to being as successful as Beat Saber. This may be because Lone Echo needs a much bigger rig to shine than even Total Recall and especially Beat Saber. And nausea may limit Lone Echo users too. 

I think Zuck found out that by supporting Lone Echo - and other games requiring high-end rigs - he was really making games for the top 1% (or less) of gamers. Making owners of high-end gpus happy is not the way to get 1 billion people to adopt VR, unfortunately. I'm sure that today Oculus would never have paid for Lone Echo 2 - or it would have been totally dumbed down for mobile VR, and I really hope that's not what's causing the current delay. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,935 Valuable Player
    I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere about it being delayed to next year due to COVID-19.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 293
    Nexus 6
    RuneSR2 said:
    Sure, I think we counted that 1 in 40 persons rated Alyx on Steam - so about 25k ratings when SteamSpy said 1 million users owned the game. That ratio may of course differ from game to game - but still might give us some idea of the connection between sales and ratings. If I remember correctly, estimates based on other games was from 1/20 to 1/100 users writing a review, so there may be large variations, but seeing that Lone Echo has gotten like 1/3 of the ratings given to Total Recall I doubt that Lone Echo has been even close to being as successful as Beat Saber. This may be because Lone Echo needs a much bigger rig to shine than even Total Recall and especially Beat Saber. And nausea may limit Lone Echo users too. 

I think Zuck found out that by supporting Lone Echo - and other games requiring high-end rigs - he was really making games for the top 1% (or less) of gamers. Making owners of high-end gpus happy is not the way to get 1 billion people to adopt VR, unfortunately. I'm sure that today Oculus would never have paid for Lone Echo 2 - or it would have been totally dumbed down for mobile VR, and I really hope that's not what's causing the current delay. 
    What Total Recal has to do with this? Am i missing some good VR game?
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,550 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    Yes but the Rift review pages are not exactly obvious and in my face when I am launching games. Maybe the Quest has a better format? Plus maybe age has something to do with it. I am sure the Quest on the whole has a lot more younger participants then PCVR.  The youth have been brought up socially commenting on nearly every aspect of their lives where (as seen on this forum) a lot of older gamers are anti social networking.
    Brain Burst
    Yes but the Rift review pages are not exactly obvious and in my face when I am launching games. Maybe the Quest has a better format? Plus maybe age has something to do with it. I am sure the Quest on the whole has a lot more younger participants then PCVR.  The youth have been brought up socially commenting on nearly every aspect of their lives where (as seen on this forum) a lot of older gamers are anti social networking.
    I think you may have something there. I have facebook. I maybe look at it a couple of times a week, but I add things very rarely. Thing is as they seem to be pushing the social stuff, its no wonder that quest is getting far bigger ratings than anything on Rift.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,411 Valuable Player
    I agree that user reviews are not a 1-for-1 indication of the number of actual users. But it can give insight based on a range of known percentages (average number of owners who leave reviews).

Compared to every other review statistic on Oculus Home for PC, like Beat Saber, and all other review stats on Oculus Quest and GO - not to mention Steam review stats - then we start to see a trend with something high-end like Lone Echo.

Otherwise, we would have to assume that all those people leaving reviews for Beat Saber are also buying Lone Echo but not leaving a review for it. Which is highly unlikely. And the userbase is not big enough to justify any idea where millions bought Beat Saber and left reviews, while an entirely different group of millions bought Lone Echo but didn't leave reviews.

I think it's fair to say that the same group is involved in all purchasing, and sharing in the same review stats.
    saami81 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

My phone and too fast spelling - that's Robo Recall :blush:

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,817 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    saami81 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Nothing, but it did make me LMAO. :D

I heard Predator VR is good too. :D:p
    RedRizla said:
    saami81 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Well, it was something with Recall ... B) 

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,093 Valuable Player
    edited September 18

I'm guilty of that. I own more than a couple hundred VR games and I think I've left like 5 reviews on the sites between Rift and Steam and Quest games. I don't really get anything out of it and usually don't feel like collecting my thoughts to post about it when I can jump into the next game.

I've posted more reviews on this forum honestly than I have anywhere else because the feedback is more useful since I trust several peoples opinions here instead of just a random guy on the internet commenting. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,817 Valuable Player
    edited September 18
    RuneSR2 said:
    RedRizla said:
    saami81 said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Well, it was something with Recall ... B) 

I'm going to start calling Lone Echo, Lone Ranger. :D:p

Funny thing is, I have called Robo Recall, Total Recall, on a number of occasions now. When friends have tested VR at my house, I often ask them if they want to see Total Recall lol.