New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Which version of Quest 2 did you preorder or Not ordering (PCVR)?

twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 441
Trinity
edited September 16 in General
Did you pre-order Quest 2 yet? Which version did you pre-order?

The adjustable IPD confirmation in the FB Connect was sufficient for me to pre-order the 256GB version of Quest 2.
CPU: Intel i5-4690K
Mobo: ASUS Z97-AR
Ram: 8GB 1600MHz
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC

Which version of Quest 2 did you preorder or Not ordering (PCVR)? 59 votes

Quest 2 256GB version
44%
kojacktwisteklabsnalex66dc2889maxpare79KNP54DarkMoSFurdZenbaneLameDuckWarriorwheezecheezeMachendillCalimero_OeufHaselHoofNunyabinezJ_ShepzPhishPhan76LightningNepsFellowbakkiana.p35 26 votes
Quest 2 64GB version
20%
SharpfishCalibosTadinlensmandaveNeo_33timw9000saami81D_KWazheadtpm76TeagyEnyRey 12 votes
I will keep my Quest 1 and skip Quest 2
6%
TomCgcmfcwuffzackTott_Donettamaxco101 4 votes
PCVR enthusiast, Quest 2 is not for me
18%
LuciferousRedRizlaMradrfalken76dburneShocksVRPhoenixSpyderRichooalRuneSR2AntonyvwMattTheCat8 11 votes
I need to see more details on Quest 2 to preorder
6%
ChuvachekJD-UKTwrchTrwyddellismusic1 4 votes
waiting for Quest 3
3%
fardmuhammadcraigbrit 2 votes

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,029 Valuable Player
    I will be sticking with my Reverb G2 Pre-Order.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 283
    Nexus 6
    Quest 2 64GB version
    They just said in FB connect that Quest 2 will be better for PCVR than Rift S. In every single way. So i preordered 64gb because my left controller in RIft S is tracked half and i need to replace it anyway.
  • Neo_33Neo_33 Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    Quest 2 64GB version
    ordered quest 2 64 GB version
  • NunyabinezNunyabinez Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    Quest 2 256GB version
    I really struggled with deciding on 64 vs 256. I have the 128 and it is just barely past 64 and I have purchased a good number of games, many that I don't regularly play. But with the more powerful processor, and a much larger user base, I think there will be AAA games that are much bigger, so I went with 256. 
    i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest
  • SharpfishSharpfish Posts: 1,306
    Neo
    edited September 16
    Quest 2 64GB version
    You should have had an option for '+also PCVR' - I am a PCVR/High end VR enthusiast first and foremost but the quest 2 is a very cool product.

64gb Quest 2 AND Reverb G2 have both been pre-ordered here!

The quest absolutely will NOT replace the quality and perf of the Reverb G2 no matter the rumours and wishful thinking (this has already been said on various YT channels the past hour or so i.e Norm at tested said it would NOT replace his Index/G2.). But Quest 2, for what it is and the price, is almost an impulse buy for anyone into VR. That it connects to PC is just a bonus.

If ultimate PC VR perf/quality is your goal then get a G2, if not then get a quest 2... or if you're me - get both. I passed up on a ton of VR HMDs since Rift CV1 that weren't good enough, then finally 2 arrive at once. ;)

EX DK2, EX VIVE, EX PSVR, Currently RIFT CV1 | Future Reverb G2/Quest 2 owner | VR developer
    Poster of the week who never got a T-Shirt ;( dayum they looked tasty!
  • twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 441
    Trinity
    Quest 2 256GB version
    I am now sceptical after watching Norm's review about the IPD adjustment. No software IPD adjustment available other than 3 hardware IPD settings?
    I will try it obviously, but I wonder if I will keep something I can not use with 71mm ipd.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,207 Volunteer Moderator
    mmm I'm going to be awkward and say i think i have enough details, i just need more time to decide.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,914 Valuable Player
    Where's the 'It depends if I get my Plevin full refund or not' before Christmas option? 😂

If I manage to get it then I'll get one along with my Yaw VR motion simulator. Then get a 3080 early to mid next year.

That's assuming that there's enough cash left over after I give the company that are sorting all of it out for me their cut of course! I think it's 24% including tax if they settle out of court.

If not I'm sticking with my Rift S and be getting my Yaw VR motion simulator early to mid next year 😎
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,377 Valuable Player
    Quest 2 256GB version
    mmm I'm going to be awkward and say i think i have enough details, i just need more time to decide.

Same. Between my GO, Quest 1, and Rift, I am one happy VR customer. I can play everything available on all VR platforms, so I'm in no rush to upgrade right this very minute. And there isn't any new killer apps, even outside of Oculus, that are currently being offered that demands an upgrade. So... I'm still in "wait and see" mode.

I will likely end up getting the Quest 2 anyway. If not for me, then for some relatives; with Christmas right around the corner.

I am waiting for more reviews about the weight and comfort first though. That is the only drawback of Quest; the excess weight.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,914 Valuable Player
    Not having a software IPD adjustment AND the toggle switch is a pain in the arse. My IPD is 64mm, and that's the average. No idea why they decided on 63mm. Very odd.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,605 Valuable Player
    I'll just stick with my Quest 1 and Rift cv1 for now.  If FB VR actually comes out with a decent PCVR hybrid (Quest 3?) I may consider this.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 318
    Trinity
    I'll consider the Quest 2 later on when the dust has settled. No need for it for now since I have the G2 on pre-order and just purchased the EOL Rift S :p as a needed replacement to feed my ASW addiction... ;)
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, MSI 1080ti Gaming X, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details soon...don't want to spill anything just yet!!
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,779 Valuable Player
    edited September 16
    @twisteklabs -You might like to change the title of the thread. I wasn't going to look at it being someone who is more into PC -VR. I didn't know it was a vote about ordering an Oculus Quest, or that you didn't order one because you favour PC -VR more. Some PC -VR enthusiast won't bother to read your thread because it doesn't mention a vote or anything about a PC -VR headset in the title.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,802 Valuable Player
    I don't care how many cobwebs cover me, I'm going to stubbornly sit here waiting for Rift 2. Also Quest is not for me, due to the purchase price essentially being only for a license to use the headset if I behave according to Facebook's standards.
    No other manufacturer of a piece of equipment/hardware that I have purchased, (that I can think of) has the right to deny my access to it if I misbehave in their opinion.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,759 Volunteer Moderator
    Quest 2 256GB version
    Sharpfish said:
    You should have had an option for '+also PCVR' - I am a PCVR/High end VR enthusiast first and foremost but the quest 2 is a very cool product.

64gb Quest 2 AND Reverb G2 have both been pre-ordered here!

Same here, 256GB Quest 2 and Reverb G2 ordered yesterday.

But I'm not really excited about the Quest 2. I barely use my Quest 1, I mainly use it for my students to develop on. The Quest 2 is interesting but feels more like an obligation, and the fact I'll need to make a facebook account to use it (and that will fuck up its use in education) is off-putting.
    The G2 has me more excited, but the controllers and possibly worse tracking than Rift-S (which is already worse than my CV1 setup) are damping the enthusiasm there too.
    Back when the Rift CV1 was announced, the only downside was increased price. Everything else sounded great. I miss that kind of release, where you didn't have to weigh the pros and cons besides cost.

The one headset device I'm still really excited for is the Tilt Five. That sounds damn interesting (I backed the kickstarter). It's AR, not VR, but I can't wait to start developing for it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • HaselHoofHaselHoof Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    edited September 17
    Quest 2 256GB version
    Zenbane said:
    I am waiting for more reviews about the weight and comfort first though. That is the only drawback of Quest; the excess weight.

Doesnt the Quest feel much lighter than the rift ? or only slightly , my Cv1 is heavy and i only play seated  , from memory the Quest 2 is only about 20g lighter than the Q1> But then purchase the elite strap and the weight changes again add battery pack ........
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,605 Valuable Player
    HaselHoof said:
    Zenbane said:

Doesnt the Quest feel much lighter than the rift ? or only slightly , my Cv1 is heavy and i only play seated  , from memory the Quest 2 is only about 20g lighter than the Q1> But then purchase the elite strap and the weight changes again add battery pack ........
    My Rift cv1 is much lighter than my Quest 1, and much more comfortable imho.  I doubt that this would be different with Quest 2.  Mainly because of Quest’s internal battery.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,207 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 17
    HaselHoof said:
    Zenbane said:

It's been a long time since I've worn my CV1 but the Quest is heavier than the Rift-S. The problem though is really the combination of the weight and the balance of that weight. The battery, processing, cooling is all within the headset, in front of you. It means that the strap has to be tighter to keep it secure and the facial foam is harder to cope with the compression caused by the tighter strap.

As well as being lighter, the halo strap on the Rift-S removes the pressure from your face completely by having it grip more on your forehead, as a hat/cap would so for most that makes it considerably more comfortable.

But for a comparisons between Quest and CV1, the straps are very similar and it's mostly about the balance and needing the straps to be tighter to cope.

If the Quest 2 is 10% lighter, maybe that translates to a greater than 10% less tighter strap, adding up to noticeable difference. There's also the option of the Elite strap which caries an additional battery at the back to balance things up a bit. It doesn't appear to be the same as the Rift-S halo though as it still seems to pull the headset against your face.

I think I need to hear some trusted reviews before the Quest-2 replaces my Rift-S. Comfort for me and many others who enjoy long session PCVR is a big deal.

I may be tempted to replace my Quest with a Quest 2 anyway, for the improvements it's bringing to untethered VR but at the moment I'm in wait and see mode.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 427
    Trinity
    Quest 2 64GB version
    PCVR enthusiast but I ordered one anyway. 90% more pixels than my Rift s at a price I couldn't refuse. It will be fun trying a wireless experience and I'm excited to see what the devs do with this over the next year :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,759 Volunteer Moderator
    Quest 2 256GB version
    HaselHoof said:
    Zenbane said:

CV1: 470g
    Rift-S: 560g
    Quest: 571g
    Quest 2: 503g

But the CV1 and Rift-S have good weight distribution. The Quest has poor weight distribution and the Quest 2 with default strap is the worse of the bunch.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • HaselHoofHaselHoof Posts: 39
    Brain Burst
    Quest 2 256GB version
    Wow thanks for the answers and i must admit i didnt look at the weight , i assumed the quest was lighter , im not sure why maybe because it wasnt tethered to a Pc ...... Oh well i bought 2 of them with the elite head strap looks like i may need the battery pack to even the weight out.

• AntonyvwAntonyvw Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I currently have the Rift-s. Once it become unusable I will look elsewhere. There are wireless options on the market (Vive for instance), so I may go that way. But I like the ability of tapping into my Pc's power.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,029 Valuable Player
    PCVR enthusiast but I ordered one anyway. 90% more pixels than my Rift s at a price I couldn't refuse. It will be fun trying a wireless experience and I'm excited to see what the devs do with this over the next year :)

Yes I can see a PC-VR enthusiast getting the new Quest 2 especially for using it wireless and hopefully improvements will be made moving forward on that. I might have even considered getting one but this new Facebook requirement is just too much for me.  With the FB tie in, we are the product and that somehow just does not sit well with me.
    But if this helps grow the VR industry I am all for it, just my interests lie in a different area of VR than this.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MadMax1998MadMax1998 Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    One option not given on the poll: cannot preorder since "not available" on Oculus' website!
  • twisteklabstwisteklabs Posts: 441
    Trinity
    Quest 2 256GB version
    One option not given on the poll: cannot preorder since "not available" on Oculus' website!
    Are you from Germany? Sorry to hear that you can not pre-order Quest 2.
  • MadMax1998MadMax1998 Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Yeah, I just saw that amazon.fr lists the Quest 2 for pre-order but amazon.de does not. That's BS; I know that Germany is in talks with Facebook over their account policy (which I approve of) but if it means the Quest 2 won't be launched on 13/10 here I'll be pretty pissed.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,537 Valuable Player
    edited September 17
    Well I went for a G2 but I guess I could also be in the waiting for Quest 3 camp also.

I am hoping for a Quantum processor and then I can dump my PC :)
  • Calimero_OeufCalimero_Oeuf Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    Quest 2 256GB version
    Ordered Quest 2 but keep my precious CV1
    Ma configuration Oculus Rift + 3 capteurs et câbles longueur 5 mètres :
    Cable USB 3.0 en 5 mètres x4
    Cable HDMI en 5 mètres x1
    Répétiteur HDMI x1
    Hub USB 3.0 pour 1 ou 2 capteurs x1
    Hub USB alimenté pour le casque  x1

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 6,415 Valuable Player
    Might have considered one if it had oled and proper sound. I'm fully convinced that Index by far is the king of lcd hmds, I do not need another and inferior lcd hmd.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • CalibosCalibos Posts: 136
    Art3mis
    Quest 2 64GB version
    Ordered 2x 64gb’s, 2x Elite Battery Straps & 2x Oculus Link cables. One for me and one for brother. Will buy another 2 for my other 2 brothers if these are good. Even if only for Private Bigscreen Virtual Cinema Movie nights. I’m Sure the other two less VR gamey brothers would soon get into VR gaming once they didn't have to pay the upfront cost of the hardware.

Still undecided about whether to keep my Reverb G2 Pre-Order as I already own a G1 I could use for sit down sims if I felt I still needed that 4320x2160 goodness.