cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

same account on 2 different Oculus

Bigslim1800
Honored Guest
do I have to rebuy all my games to play my son on a 2 player game being that i have the quest 1 and the quest 2 ? or can i log into both with my same account? 
4 REPLIES 4

kojack
MVP
MVP
It depends on the game.
Some games like Rec Room have a separate account within the game, so one oculus account should be able to run on two headsets if they log in with different rec room accounts.

Other games don't like multiple instances of one account, so you'd need to buy the game twice on different accounts. Sadly the Quest 1 and 2 currently don't allow easy logging in/out, you have to wipe the headset and set it up again to change accounts. That is going to change apparently, but no idea when.

I'm probably not the best to answer though, since I don't do any multiplayer in VR. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

do I have to rebuy all my games to play my son on a 2 player game being that i have the quest 1 and the quest 2 ? or can i log into both with my same account? 

Welcome to the forum. This can be confusing because you have to think about headsets and accounts as separate, but related things. It is definitely possible and sometimes preferable to use more than one headset on a single account. For example, I have a Rift and a Quest on the same account. The advantage of this is mainly for Cross-buy where you purchased a copy of say Angry Birds and you can buy it once and use it on both headsets. And you can play it on both simultaneously.

Now, to your use case. The problem is that most multiplayer games identify who you are in the game, and so when you try to join yourself, it simply won't work. I'm not totally sure if that is by design or just the fact that searching for yourself to join your game is a strange concept, but that is how it works. So, something like Killing Floor Incursion is not going to let you join a game on the same account running in a different headset.

There are some exceptions. Some games allow you to create a game account. For example, Rec Room would allow you to both enter the game by using separate Rec Room accounts even though you have the same Oculus account on both headsets. Ultimately, if you want to play the more sophisticated games you will need to have one Oculus account for each headset and purchase the game twice.

You can start out with just one account and play around and then add a second account. You would just need to wipe one of the headsets and set it up as a new headset on the new account and then purchase games for it.

Hope this makes it a little clearer.

Edit: Kojack hit enter before me, but hopefully this has a little more detail.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

markwest76
Expert Protege
Might seem a strange question, but if you already have a Quest 1 and buy another Quest 1 only for sharing it with relatives, friends or anyone else (because you don't wanna share your primary headset), is it possible to have both Quest 1 registered on the same account?

virtualcrescent
Honored Guest

Might seem a strange question, but if you already have a Quest 1 and buy another Quest 1 only for sharing it with relatives, friends or anyone else (because you don't wanna share your primary headset), is it possible to have both Quest 1 registered on the same account?

Yes, but from what I've seen you won't be able to play any games or join a party with that account.