New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Free upgrade for user for Oculus Quest 1 to 2

lancejohnson321lancejohnson321 Posts: 6
NerveGear
I am posting this to make an appeal to facebook to allow users of Oculus 
My request is I bought the oculus one in jan 2020 at a higher price point and now oculus 2 is coming I humbly request that u allow a free upgrade for people to trade up from oculus 1 to oculus 2 It makes good business sense as u don’t want to loose ur customer base, the oculus one was not well used as much as it should due to gameplay and graphics Remember u will make the money back in terms of game bought and usage and also u could get rid of the expense of maintaining the oculus one. Also vr needs a breathe into it and people will be more happy to buy into a oculus if they know they can trade up at a small expense The model for the oculus is not the same as a Apple smartphone yet for example That is smart phone is considered a necessary device u need to have it Oculus is considered at the moment as a niche item which is a luxury Price point is more important For wide adoption and building a strong community People want more interaction and their friends to get involved but the price point of the quest 1 was high but ur quest 2 price point is good If u can get people to adopt the tech more widely that would be lead to the platform success Remember key thing about Facebook at the beginning is ur got a high quality service for free I am not suggesting u make the quest free just more accessible
Which brings me back to allowing people to upgrade for free.

Please could the Oculus forum team consider this in their next discussion and perhaps escalate to executive management.

2nd - if anyone who owns a Quest 1 agrees with me - please email support and facebook message Mark Zuckerberg on his facebook page.

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,357 Valuable Player
    Wishful thinking mate.  This ain’t ever going to happen imho.  Given the relatively low price ($299) just suck it up and buy one if you believe it’s a worthwhile upgrade.  In the meantime your Quest 1 will continue to work fine.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• synchromesh62synchromesh62 Posts: 481
    Trinity
    I  mean cmon 
    You buy a Samsung Galaxy phone now and a newer version comes out in 3 months. Do you really expect the new one free. I think not.

Personally if you have the Quest 1 there really is no need to upgrade at this moment. Excellent for a first time buyer but not really all that to warrant selling your quest. Apart from a crisper screen your not really going to notice all that much difference until software is made specifically for it. Perhaps look again in 6 to 12 months and thats if the Quest 3 isnt announced. By the time you buy the decent head strap and USB link cable it works out about the same price as the Quest anyway. 
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,141
    Wintermute
    I am posting this to make an appeal to facebook to allow users of Oculus 
    My request is I bought the oculus one in jan 2020 at a higher price point and now oculus 2 is coming I humbly request that u allow a free upgrade for people to trade up from oculus 1 to oculus 2 It makes good business sense as u don’t want to loose ur customer base, the oculus one was not well used as much as it should due to gameplay and graphics Remember u will make the money back in terms of game bought and usage and also u could get rid of the expense of maintaining the oculus one. Also vr needs a breathe into it and people will be more happy to buy into a oculus if they know they can trade up at a small expense The model for the oculus is not the same as a Apple smartphone yet for example That is smart phone is considered a necessary device u need to have it Oculus is considered at the moment as a niche item which is a luxury Price point is more important For wide adoption and building a strong community People want more interaction and their friends to get involved but the price point of the quest 1 was high but ur quest 2 price point is good If u can get people to adopt the tech more widely that would be lead to the platform success Remember key thing about Facebook at the beginning is ur got a high quality service for free I am not suggesting u make the quest free just more accessible
    Which brings me back to allowing people to upgrade for free.

Please could the Oculus forum team consider this in their next discussion and perhaps escalate to executive management.

2nd - if anyone who owns a Quest 1 agrees with me - please email support and facebook message Mark Zuckerberg on his facebook page.

Well look at the positives, you got a quest with the best screen avalible, Oled, you got full manual IPD, again best of the best, and on 22nd October you won't be pulling your hair out jumping through all the mandatory hoops that new Q2 owners will be going through to just use their Q2.........and as a last positive its already paid for and yours. ;)
    Trinity
    as @OmegaM4N states you really do have the best tried and tested unit right now IMHO
    The Quest 2 still needs its field test debut which will put it through its paces im sure hopefully with good results.

I hope it succeeds as it does have some very cool features but also when i do buy my next Quest it may have specific content for it to take advantage of these new features and as a bonus it will be cheaper than what i originally paid so its a win win scenario really.
    :) 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,486 Volunteer Moderator
    I think I'll be holding onto my Quest until Christmas... we need to save one nice present to ourselves until then right?
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
  • lancejohnson321lancejohnson321 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Hey thank u so much for taking the time to read my post - ur feedback is fantastic and I love to discuss this - hopefully maybe Oculus may note - remember that Mark's vision usually is less about short term gains and long term results.

I am going to advocate my case by addressing all the comments above:
    1. What is the number one goal Mark Zuckerberg should have for OCULUS - that answer is GROWTH!!!! It's how he won facebook as the major social media platform - he needs to focus on growth - NOT immediate profit.

2. What is number one way a platform is popular - It is widescale adoption! Look at all the popular consoles.

3. What is the number one and two way to get widescale adoption - playability and social proof - games have to be good and your friends have it as well - The adoption by friends is particularly important in VR. When I speak to my friends most of them don't have a VR headset. Why are they not buying?

4. What is the number one thing that stops people from buying or what is the fear of buying: The people on this forum are probably early adopters. They are happy to fork out money for a new headset - most people are not that. Also will my friend by a headset if he knows mine is not compatible with his? Will my friend buy a headset that will be expire in 12 months? He is a common person who has other interests in life. Even now - u should be reluctant to buy a quest 2, knowing Quest 3 is probably coming out next year. Also would i recommend the oculus 2 to a friend knowing something better will come out shortly. I am reluctant, because i just my oculus and now another one is eclipsing it. Recommendation is extremely powerful for widescale adoption. 

4.  Is a VR headset like a phone ? Someone mention about Samsung etc. That is not a fair comparison. This is like comparing the Sony Playstation and the Iphone. Ur smartphone is a tool that has become necessary - u have to use it to communicate, and even to buy ur groceries. Not everyone will buy a PlayStation - I have not bought a actual game console for a long time. My VR headset is my first. People have to understand that the Oculus is primarily a gaming platform/social media. U cannot go around the shops wearing ur oculus like u can carry ur phone. Also when u upgrade ur phone, now the difference is minute - I mean I had a look at the Iphone 11, and I have an Iphone XR - nothing stands out that makes me want to adopt it - I usually upgrade when it is cheaper - so when iPhone 12 is out, I will get the 11 - as it is cheaper - and does not make a major impact on my experience. VR experience will be majorly different on the upgraded headset.

5. Competition: VR is under fire. Many VR companies are going bankrupt. Remember that there is lot of competition for people's attention - remember that a person spare cash has competition for his cash - he could save it for a holiday, Sony PlayStation, towards a bike etc. I recommend watching this classic video - youtube - I can't post the link but just search mercedes dealer salesman 1980s - on selling Mercedes cars (good sales principles) - the guy is an A player who presents it - unfortunately Mercedes have not kept this up - selling crap cars which is why I am swapping to Lexus/Japanease cars. I digress. 

6. Upgrades: Using the phone example  - Most phone companies allow upgrades with trade in for ur old phone to with a small cost to get the newer version

7. Expensive: Maintaining old technology can be expensive in terms of providing technical support/repairs etc.  Even more important is retention of ur current market. It is cheaper for Oculus to spend X money to keep old client than spend 2x to get a new client. Ensuring a upgrade is the only way to retain current market of oculus stay on. Also if people can get old oculus 2nd hand - they may buy them instead as it is likely they will be cheaper, and it creates another competitor for the Oculus 2.

8. Money - when the oculus platform becomes platform, facebook can make money from the amount of games people buy etc. That is how they will make a ton of money. Remember Mark ensured that the facebook platform was free to ensure widescale adoption. I am not saying oculus should be free  - but the pricepoint should be low, and the retention of the current market for them - the pricepoint should be lower.

I hope I made this clear as to why I think it makes business sense to offer free/slight charge to , and I am very happy to hear your response. Try to look at this message, not through a sceptical viewpoint - those companies just want to make money short term - but see it from the point of view of the Oculus executive sitting, trying to understand how to make Oculus the VR facebook of the world.

By the way I based this post on watching this video by employee number 30 at Facbook (what i learnt to mark zuckeberg - Noah Kagan - I can't post the link but just search it on youtube)

Note - I understand that facebook had a policy of not listening to customers (according to the video - they had a comments section for facebook that - that they offered and they automatically deleted whatever was sent) - good luck guys with that - it may work for social media, I hope it works for the VR headset space. 

If u find any sense in my post I would strongly ask u to email oculus - they may listen. It is for ur benefit - because most u would like to upgrade to Quest 2. 

BTW do not be distracted by early adopts- Oculus quest 2 will sell well - initially - but after that I wonder if sales will plummet. 

In summary - Oculus should focus on Growth, not short term profits. Retain ur original market and they will recommend it to their friends as they know even if another Quest comes - they can upgrade for free/small charge.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,357 Valuable Player
    Mate, I’m pretty sure that the Quest 2 at $299 is already selling below cost in order to increase VR usage.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,104 Valuable Player
    Oculus are probably selling a headset at a loss for the very first time. They're not going to compound that loss by giving the things away for free.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,058 Valuable Player
    edited September 2020
    I wouldn't say they are selling the Ouest 2 at a loss because you will need to purchase games and apps to make it worth buying. Apps, games, media and advertising is where Facebook will make their money, so they are selling it to make money, lots of money.
    edited September 2020
    I think most Quest 1 users won't stop using their Quests if they don't get a free upgrade, even the recent buyers, so I'd question how big a benefit to Facebook's plan to increase usage it would be to do such a thing. I'm not planning to stop using mine any time soon I can wait.
    I think i can wait.

There's always a balance between early adoption verses waiting for the ecosystem to grow or waiting for a possible price drop. With VR I think it's fast moving and a few price drops, so early adoption is my preference to get the most of each purchase before I early-adopt the next headset, but each person needs to figure out their own balance.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,352 Volunteer Moderator

... Also will my friend by a headset if he knows mine is not compatible with his? Will my friend buy a headset that will be expire in 12 months? He is a common person who has other interests in life. Even now - u should be reluctant to buy a quest 2, knowing Quest 3 is probably coming out next year. Also would i recommend the oculus 2 to a friend knowing something better will come out shortly.
    Just to address one of your points; your headset has not expired, and Quest 2 will be compatible with Quest 1. They share the same store and apps, so your friend will be able to play multiplayer games with you even if he has a Quest 2 and you have a Quest 1. In that regard, this is more like a new phone model than a new console generation. 

Also, if you don’t buy because you worry about a new version coming out later, you’ll never buy anything. There will always be something better coming along in the future. You either jump in at some point, or you spend your whole life watching from the sidelines. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    NerveGear
    edited September 2020
    Great comments guy. I am pretty sure - Oculus will never respond - so hearing ur opinions is important.

Responding:
    1. Oculus is already making a loss on Quest 2- I don't think so, but let us assume so. Even if that is the case - why are they selling a loss - widescale adoption. Back to my point. 

2. Oculus will lose more money giving Oculus Quest 1 upgrade - ok, I again refer to my post - isn't it better to loose a relative small account of cash to retain ur customer base? Ok - how much does it cost to train staff - provide support/repairs for an older product - It can be quite expensive. Perhaps it would be cheaper to upgrade people.

3. Phones are necessary, the Quest is a luxury item - people need phones, and have to get it. Their experience is not much different between phones. It will be with the quest.

In any case some of u guys must be oculus quest employees looking for a pay upgrade, since no one seems to support this model of free upgrades, worried that our billion dollar VR company will go bankrupt.

Ok - lets make it easier - why don't we follow the Apple model - where u can trade in ur old phone, PAY a charge, and get a new one? Or in other words - trade in ur old one to get a significant discount on the new one?

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,863 Volunteer Moderator
    Apple is Apple....same as any phone provider, they have upgrade paths...As you said, the Quest is a luxury item, if you want luxury you pay for it. 

I hope you are aware that this is a community forum not a workers forum??? No one is looking for a pay upgrade here, well not from Oculus ;)

I am afraid you are barking up the wrong tree, not gonna happen anytime soon IMO
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• falken76falken76 Posts: 3,087 Valuable Player
    LOL, good luck.  It does NOT make good business sense to do something like that, but you can ask.  Don't be surprised if they tell you to go pound sand though, I would.
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 3,087 Valuable Player
    edited September 2020
    Great comments guy. I am pretty sure - Oculus will never respond - so hearing ur opinions is important.

In any case some of u guys must be oculus quest employees looking for a pay upgrade, since no one seems to support this model of free upgrades, worried that our billion dollar VR company will go bankrupt.

Ok - lets make it easier - why don't we follow the Apple model - where u can trade in ur old phone, PAY a charge, and get a new one? Or in other words - trade in ur old one to get a significant discount on the new one?

Of course, anyone that isn't with you is against you.  If they don't see the light that you shine, they must be an employee of Oculus.  You are asking the company to give you their new product for free with no compensation above what you paid for the old tech, it doesn't work like that.  A company that appeased it's buyers like that would go out of business due to loss.

If you want to follow the apple model, you have to pay apple prices.  They've been consistently ripping off the public since 1976.  They also dumb their products down to the lowest demonator so their junk can be used by morons that are confused by their own shadows.

Even if they did offer an upgrade, do you not think there should be a limit on it?  You had your Quest for 3 quarters of an entire year.

This is how companies succeed.  They make products that people want to buy, they don't need trickery like exchange programs for discounts or free upgrades, if they make a quality product and have decent support, they'll be fine.

BTW:  Phones are not a necessity, they are actually a luxury as well.  You would be able to exist without a phone.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,506 Valuable Player

Trinity

Oculus wont respond because  ... Well its a daft unrealistic suggestion to be honest.
    A free Oculus Quest 2 to 400,000 users who own a quest ... They wont lose their Customer Base as you think in fact they will probably create a whole new one for the Quest 2.
  • AntonyvwAntonyvw Posts: 16
    Brain Burst
    Does the OP include getting a free quest 2 if we have the Rift/rift S? After all that is the group of people that are no longer going to be supported unless we link to a facebook account? I really dont think so.
    NerveGear
    I really appreciate the feedback. I was only kidding about the Oculus employee comment. 

Some people suggest  its not a smart suggestion ok 

I think most people are struggling with a different mindset - that u have to pay a high price point of entry into the market to make money vs my suggestion - keep it cheap and expand the market rapidly and collect later.

Also most of  
    Some dumb suggestions where people did not make money at initial entry point:

1. Make facebook free.

2. Open source software

3. Android software

4. Youtubers/Instagrammers - there are loads who make tons of cash from providing free content initially.

5. Microsoft-  hear me out on this - listen to Bill Gates talk he has with Warren Buffett a while ago - he knows that people in China in late 1990s/early 2000s were pirating his software - he knew that if he waited, eventually he would collect - why -because he knew when he gets widescale adoption and legislation/financial situation of china improves he will make a ton of money (people would be stuck to Microsoft for their software needs on upgrades)- which he did. Growth is the key, not initial paypoint.

6. Amazon was running at a loss every year until just a few years ago (remember the half price harry potter books)- they were growing. Now one of the most valuable companies in the world.

How about I change the question and put it to you.

What is the best way Oculus could rapidly expand and get the most growth?

Note - most VR companies are going bankrupt.
    NerveGear
    I can't post links but I could not resist:

Peter Parker: Can you pay me advance for my Oculus?

J Jonah Jameson: Laughs incredibly loudly

J Jonah Jameson: What you serious?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,863 Volunteer Moderator
    Me: you have asked the question and probably knew the answer before you posted.

You: OK thanks.

I'll quite happily close this thread for you ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• dburnedburne Posts: 4,423 Valuable Player
    edited September 2020
    Remmer_G said:
    Wait though. If Facebook doesn't want to "loose" their customer base, what about all the Rift owners? Already abandoned, don't they deserve a free Quest 2? (Asking for a friend)
     The picture FB is looking at for Oculus is likely much larger than what they see in PC-VR.
    I suspect they don't mind giving up a percentage of the PC-VR market they currently have , as they feel they have much more to gain in the social arena for Quest. The amount of folks now on FB is absolutely huge and they view them as potential customers.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • MradrMradr Posts: 4,179 Valuable Player
    edited September 2020
    falken76 said:
    BTW:  Phones are not a necessity, they are actually a luxury as well.  You would be able to exist without a phone.
    Well - yes - at least for the "smart" part of the phone. A lot of jobs still require you to have a way of communication though - so a phone is still necessity in todays world. I dont think I could do my job without a phone for my customers to reach me:) While it be possible yes, it just be way too inconvenient to the point the customer would not want to work with you.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A trade in program would have more value than a free upgrade program xD Give them your old they cut off some percent for a new one.

At best case they fix up the older Quest 1 and sell them off as replacements or refitting them and selling them on a public site like ebay then claim they are reducing e-waste.
    Trade-ins with phones make sense because the Apple and Google app market are among the biggest revenue earners on the planet, tens of billions of dollars, not to mention profits made on phone contracts.

When VR hits these levels, I'll be shouting louder then anyone for discounted trade-ins.
  • xeno3dxeno3d Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    This is silly.....  You as a consumer need to do your research and realize that technology advances pretty fast.  It isn't any different than a mobile phone.
    NerveGear
    Hi -  I appreciate all the useful comments, and to see how other people think.

I think we can all agree to disagree.

If I  somehow do convince Oculus to somehow implement my 'daft' idea of the free/small charge upgrades with a trade-in - I'll let u know. 

Thanks again all. 
    Preview
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,506 Valuable Player
    Well I speak for all of here when I say this...

Good Luck.