New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Go overheating and lagging

ProPurDotProPurDot Posts: 1
NerveGear
I got an Oculus Go about a year and a half ago, and a couple of months ago my system started overheating. It never gives me overheating warnings or anything but it would start to lag non-stop. I never use it while plugged in however, the battery only lasts up to an hour while watching anime on the in-engine browser. I don't really know how to fix it but I love Oculus and have even secured a pre-order for the Quest 2 but I really don't want to have to pretty much throw away my Go. Not because the Quest 2 is better, just because it doesn't really work. Any suggestions on how to fix this? I would contact support but I assume my Go is out of warranty. 

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,840 Valuable Player
    You can still contact Oculus Support and see if they have any suggestions that may help. 

The only thing that comes to mind is that you may have over-discharged your Go's battery a few too many times and/or started to use it when your battery levels were too low.  I'd try leaving it on charge overnight so it gets a full charge and try this again. 

While Oculus do not recommend using your charger while playing, I've found that as long as my internal Go battery was fully charged, if I used a lower powered 1 amp usb phone charger, my Go worked fine (for +2hr movies) and does not overheat.  

Your other option may be to get an external battery pack, fully charge it and your Go before using it.  A decent 5v 10000mahr usb battery pack can be found at Amazon.  Just do a bit of searching.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).