New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

GPU coil whine when OVR service is running

ApexicApexic Posts: 1
NerveGear
Hi. I own a Gigabyte RX 5700 XT. Recently I found out my GPU was starting to coil whine during idle conditions when I installed the Oculus App. It took a bit of fiddling around, but I eventually found out the OVR service was causing the problem. This service runs automatically whenever I open the app. Unfortunately, it also runs after closing the Oculus app too. The only way for me to stop this service was to go into the services window and stop it manually, otherwise, it would run in the background indefinitely. Hopefully, support could fix this bug so I don't need to manually stop this service every time I close my Oculus app or better yet, reduce the coil whine while the service is running in the background.

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,361 Valuable Player
    I don't use an AMD gpu but I believe that coil whine can be a problem with some of these cards.  I believe that this can be made worse by overloading the gpu with things like high graphics settings and in some cases may require you to lower your gpu voltage.

I doubt that running Oculus runtime services in the background is going to do this.  Once you exit the Oculus app all of the cpu/gpu usage drops down to nothing and the only resource used is a minor amount of memory.  You can use win10 task manager to monitor this.

If you want to easily turn oculus runtime services off the easiest way is to use the Oculus Tray Tool (OTT).  I actually use this to turn on my oculus runtime services when I startup OTT and turn it off when I exit OTT.  I do this because I run a dual PCVR setup with a Vive Pro/Rift cv1 and it makes it much easier to switch between the Vive (SteamVR) and Oculus systems.  Anyway, worth looking at OTT in any case, it's a very useful, free tool imho.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/47247/oculus-traytool-supersampling-profiles-hmd-disconnect-fixes-hopefully/p1

If coil whine continues to be a problem I would contact your gpu supplier for help (and maybe a replacement).

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• blackguard2077blackguard2077 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks @Apexic this was driving me up the wall.

Sapphire 5700XT Nitro+
    Adrenalin 20.12.1
    Windows 10 20H2 19042.685