cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook accounts in different education situations

BZSH
Honored Guest
Hey folks,

I work in an educational institution and i have a bunch of questions about the new "Facebook Account - Feature" and the Quest 2 in germany. Hope you people can give me some answers since i am a little bit overwhelmed by all the informations in this forum.

I work for libraries in different education settings with kids from all schools.
In this setting one of my "new" projects was some education units with little groups in different settings. It was easy and possible for me to use one Quest with one Oculus Account to do so. Now i should buy about 10 Quests (or Quests 2) to show the experience in more libraries with more kids and even older people.

Questions:
1. When will the Quest 2 be available in Germany?
2. Since I'm not allowed to register 10+ facebook Accounts for each of the Quest-Headsets - Is there a chance to get education-accounts or something that works the same way?
3. Is there a way to register facebook Accounts for educational projects only for Quest-use?
4. If something like this is possible and i would create 10+ facebook accounts just for this project - is it possible to buy the Games and Apps for all of them with the same credit-card?
5. In Apples ecosystem it is possible to register as education institution - is there something like this in the oculus/facebook universe?

Thanks for the help and have a good week!

Andy.
7 REPLIES 7

Cavanna00
Protege

BZSH said:

1. When will the Quest 2 be available in Germany?

3. Is there a way to register facebook Accounts for educational projects only for Quest-use?

I'm not a Facebook Expert or anything so I can only answer these questions bit but I hope it still helps. 🙂

1. I'm pretty sure the worldwide release is October 13th. So this should include Germany as well.
3. I would be really careful with that since I heard that Facebook wants to collect longitudinal Data of Individuals as usual so they go as far blocking your account if they find out that it's not your own account / under your real name. In that case you can loose access to all the games you've purchased. So in your case I think it would be a good idea to contact the service directly to see if they have special educational / promotional accounts because otherwise you risk loosing the money you invested when the accounts get blocked.

Hope this was somewhat useful to you and wish you good look with your project! I think it's awasome that you want to make the VR-experience more accesible for different people.
Greetings!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Facebook/Oculus, is actually focusing on the consumer market, there is no known plans about Educationnal use.
Your only solution so far is the business model. i.e. buying 800$ headset with the same hardware than the 300$ one, and then paying 200$ per year, per headset...
We are quite in the same situation, and we are actually testing the Pico Neo 2, it's quite a similar hardware, but their business direction is much more adapted to your kind of use.

HaselHoof
Adventurer
Hmm the OP has 1 post ruunnnn clickbait :wink: just kidding , ironically you mention you work for libraries in different education settings ....
DEV_CIMMI has the best reply .

kojack
MVP
MVP

DEV_CIMMI said:

Facebook/Oculus, is actually focusing on the consumer market, there is no known plans about Educationnal use.
Your only solution so far is the business model. i.e. buying 800$ headset with the same hardware than the 300$ one, and then paying 200$ per year, per headset...
We are quite in the same situation, and we are actually testing the Pico Neo 2, it's quite a similar hardware, but their business direction is much more adapted to your kind of use.

Yeah, the Pico Neo 2 (especially the Eye model) sounds quite interesting. I probably would have bought one to test if they weren't out of stock and only selling to businesses. (The odds of getting my college to buy one just to test is near zero, so I need to do it myself)
It seems a lot more flexible in what it lets developers do. I'd really like to test the magnetic tracked controllers. 
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Nekto2
Superstar

kojack said:

I'd really like to test the magnetic tracked controllers. 

What is that? :astonished:
Are they compass dependent?
Could you bring a magnet near and spoil tracking? 🙂

kojack
MVP
MVP
It's similar to the Razer Hydra and Sixense Stem. They pulse magnetic fields at different orientations and measure the strength of each pulse at the receiver. Because it looks for the pulses, a continuous magnet shouldn't affect it too much.
Basically it gives you 6DOF tracking with zero occlusion, you can use them behind your back or anywhere the cameras can't see them, because the cameras on the Pico Neo 2 are only for head tracking. No problems with reaching over your shoulder or doing things like archery or two handed guns.

Here's a test of the controllers in a few situations:

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

BZSH
Honored Guest
Hey Guys,

thanks for the help so far, especially @DEV_CIMMI ! 
I tried to contact facebook and oculus about this term too, but no chance. just the standard answer with a link to business contacts i already got.

@HaselHoof Why "ironically"?