cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elite Dangerous voice packs, which is best?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I've just purchased voice attack and saw that you can get voice packs for Elite Dangerous. Does anyone know which one is the best one to get, if you use these voice packs yourself?

https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/?mc_cid=0feaa22d5c&mc_eid=9037bdc8ee

11 REPLIES 11

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I highly recommend testing Voice Attack before buying any add-on voice packs for it. Whilst it works fine for many people, for a minority it won't recognise much at all.
I made that mistake, having used voice recognition software since the late noughties and zero issues at all I bought VA and then the HCS packs (only two available  at the time) and their personal pack - plus the one for DCS World and it was all money down the drain because the prog has never understood more than a couple of words I've said. Even with assistance from the VA devs and each of the people who did the voiice packs it hasn't worked for me, despite many hours of training the windows voice recognition, too, using VoxATC - and I know I know I'm not the only one.

If it works for you it will be great - but just test it first 😉

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Yeap, i bought it and found out that it had issues with my Scottish accent, but that has been par of the course for most voice stuff i have tried, even when i put on my best posh phone voice and say Yes and No instead of aye and naw. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

OmegaM4N said:

^^Yeap, i bought it and found out that it had issues with my Scottish accent, but that has been par of the course for most voice stuff i have tried, even when i put on my best posh phone voice and say Yes and No instead of aye and naw. lol

Maybe they should have a free trial for a week just to see if it works for people. Don't they refund you if it doesn't work with your accent then? 

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I think they do have a trial version - you have to enter a code to activate the full licence, so I should think that means you can try it first.

edit - just checked and yes, they have a trial period:

In my case, because I had had zero issue with voice recognition for years, I didn't use the trial, just bought it along with the various add-on stuff assuming it would be OK. My mistake - but at least the prog itself didn't cost much, which is a main reason it took off so well (dwVAC, which I have used for years, is 4 times as much).

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

OmegaM4N said:

Maybe they should have a free trial for a week just to see if it works for people. Don't they refund you if it doesn't work with your accent then? 

I just kept it and as it was only £8 and sometimes when i am in full ED mode i fire it up in the hopes that maybe now it will work, and the funny thing is i had more success with the voice commands in the ST Bridge commander games, but they then go and removed that from the game, i mean what are the chances. lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm using Vasco with Brian Blessed. Every now and then instead of saying 'Gordon's Aliiiiiive' he says 'Braben's Aliiiiiiiive' and you hear the Flash Gordon Queen song starting when he says it lol 😄

Brian Blessed is one of my favourite actors too, worth every penny B)

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^I wanted the Blessed, Tom Baker and Norman Lovett voice packs.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Have to admit I was very disappointed by the official voice pack I bought for the game from FD. It was really awful.

I bought the French one - can't remember the name, but it was the most awful French accent I'd heard. It sounded like someone English trying to speak with a very light French accent (or a French woman who spoke excellent English). I bought it because I thought it would sound something like Michelle in 'Allo 'Allo - what a disappointment!

Anonymous
Not applicable
That series was SO GOOD, as was Secret Army, the series that it was based on. If you haven't watched both of those then you're REALLY missing out. Secret Army also had the lovely Jan Francis starring in it. Bloody gorgeous she was 😄