cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How on earth do you get Elite Dangerous to work in VR?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I have just spent the best part of an hour trying to figure out how to get Elite Dangerous to work in VR and I have give up. Below is what I found on the internet, but all I see in the 3D option is an option for ANAGLYPH or SIDE BY SIDE? How do I get this game to work in VR? This is driving me nuts. Cheers!

Start the game in Steam and then click "Launch" in the Elite Dangerous Launcher. Once the game launched go to Options, and then Graphics. Navigate to 3D and select either HMD (Headphones) or HMD (Speakers), whichever you are using.

23 REPLIES 23

MuXSenpai
Explorer
I simply launched it via SteamVR and it worked. Good luck CMDR o7

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Got the Oculus version - it automatically launches in VR I think - not sure I can run it as a pancake… Never had problems launching on CV1 - but have to use that annoying gamepad...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
There's an option in the game options UI. Select it under '3D', - I had the same issue a couple of years back.
Similar to what you quoted. If it ain't there, the game hasn't found your headset.

edit - I'm just reinstalling mine so I can check it when it's done if ya like.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Here:

naarwfdfnqdx.png

PITTCANNA
Visionary
if you bought it in oculus you should turn on your headset and launch it through the occulus app.  

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
It depends, really - I had this happen in both Steam, on the desktop (Frontier installer) and on Oculus Home - but it wouldn't start in the headset, regardless (I was posting here about it at the time, few years back). It turns out if you run it in desktop mode first, or at some time - which I had done to make the controller assignments - you then have to switch it back manually to HMD. Even if you reinstall it on another platform (but might be okay if you delete all the config and log files it leaves behind when you uninstall).

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

It depends, really - I had this happen in both Steam, on the desktop (Frontier installer) and on Oculus Home - but it wouldn't start in the headset, regardless (I was posting here about it at the time, few years back). It turns out if you run it in desktop mode first, or at some time - which I had done to make the controller assignments - you then have to switch it back manually to HMD. Even if you reinstall it on another platform (but might be okay if you delete all the config and log files it leaves behind when you uninstall).

When I launch it on Steam, I now get a message that asks if I want to start ED in VR and the base game of ED is working now. The problem I was having was this whole linking Horizons to your Elite Dangerous account. I noticed on October 29th that people with Elite Dangerous will get Horizons for free though, so hopefully I won't have to mess about trying to link this Horizons Steam pass I have. This is where it's all going wrong for me because it's asking me to login using Steam, but when I do that I get taken to the Elite Dangerous site to link it with Steam. I keep trying to link it to Steam, but it just won't have any of it.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Launching from Steam it gives a choice .. I assume the Rift version uses steam also ?

uygzzuh6pwgr.png