New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

A problem of overheating

Does Quest2 have the same problem of overheating like GO? I have got the trouble from GO for along time and do not know how to resolve it. 

Best Answer

• agameritisagameritis Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Accepted Answer
    You can reduce the overheating problem by charging the device only when it is already properly cooled off, so that it doesnt heat up additionally over night for example. Another very useful device is a neck fan. You can get it for about 10-15 bucks on amazon and it makes all the difference.

Answers

• enigma01enigma01 Posts: 980
    3Jane
    Well I had no problem with my Quest 1 overheating. I don’t think the Go has active cooling like the Quest and Quest 2 does?
  • TGKLightningTGKLightning Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    im having overheating issues with the quest 2 now and only charges it when im not using it and now it will die and give me a System Alert Saying The Fan Isnt Functioning properly and to contact oculus support. hoping now that oculus will send me a replacement. i treat it like a baby and wont even turn on experimental passthrough because im to afraid that will knock sensors off
  • TGKLightningTGKLightning Posts: 2
    NerveGear

this is the exact System Alert I Get after 30 mins 50 mins of use and started happening a couple weeks ago. had to get the picture from another source because i never thought of taking a picture of it but this is the exact same message
  • aguy10aguy10 Posts: 205
    Art3mis
    I wouldn't worry about it being a common thing with quest 2 or you would hear about it all the time since the device can run for 2 hours on battery. The error message must be accurate or you live in hot conditions.
  • aguy10aguy10 Posts: 205
    Art3mis
    enigma01 said:
    Well I had no problem with my Quest 1 overheating. I don’t think the Go has active cooling like the Quest and Quest 2 does?
    Does not have active cooling. The front flat piece is an actual heat sink made of metal. I use to attach a mini fan to the front.
  • gavin.whitehead.7359gavin.whitehead.7359 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I purchased my Quest 2 several weeks ago and had no problems at all, as soon as I applied the new update last weekend I can only have it on for approx 5 minutes when the audible alarm comes on and the overheating message tells me that the headset has to shut down. It is stored and played in an airconditioned room set at 23 Degrees C.
    The support team told me they would get back to me within 48 to 72 hrs on the 22nd November, still waiting.
  • TheNerdCornerTheNerdCorner Posts: 5
    NerveGear

this is the exact System Alert I Get after 30 mins 50 mins of use and started happening a couple weeks ago. had to get the picture from another source because i never thought of taking a picture of it but this is the exact same message
    I got that Same message today, and my Quest 2 is only 2 days old, it was after 15 Minutes playing Asgards Wrath.. waiting for support to resolve now.
    NerveGear
    I purchased my Quest 2 several weeks ago and had no problems at all, as soon as I applied the new update last weekend I can only have it on for approx 5 minutes when the audible alarm comes on and the overheating message tells me that the headset has to shut down. It is stored and played in an airconditioned room set at 23 Degrees C.
    The support team told me they would get back to me within 48 to 72 hrs on the 22nd November, still waiting.
    Have you heard anything back from Them yet? Because if not I don't want to wait until 30 days from purchase is up or whatever the retailer policy that I bought it from "B&H" is.
  • blucmalblucmal Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Another with overheating issue. Fingers crossed is just software..
    NerveGear
    Its been a little over 2 weeks since I reported/created a ticket for the overheating headset and Oculus gets back to me and says:

As I looked upon the previous details, I would like you to try to Factory Reset the device and check if you still receiving the same message or not? Follow the steps given here to Factory Reset the device: 
    To perform a factory reset using your phone:

1.    Open the Oculus app on your phone.

2.    Tap Settings in the bottom menu.

3.    Tap the headset connected to your phone.

4.    Tap More Settings.

5.    Tap Factory Reset and then Reset.

If you still have the same issue after Factory Reset please reach back out to me with the following information and I will look into this for you. 
    1. Do you hear any Fan noise or any other noise from the device?
    2. Do you feel any difference in temperature on the device or not? Do you think there is any temperature increasing or not?  If yes, please provide approximately room temperature and approximately device temperature. 

Note: At any point if you feel its not safe to use the device please stop using the device immediately and provide as much details as you can from above. 

Hope to hear back from you soon. 

So that's where I'm at currently, they want ME to determine if the device is safe and if not, to stop using it ( after performing a factory reset)..... That's what I initially did when I got the notifications about the overheating from the headset itself, Wouldn't that be the first hint that its not safe?, the actual device saying IM HOT.. Remember this device was 3 days Old when this started, and on the 3rd day is when I was able to use it for the first time.

I will post another update once I hear back from them again, hopefully it wont take as long as the last time.

NerveGear
    blucmal said:
    Another with overheating issue. Fingers crossed is just software..
    If it is, they are not acknowledging a software issue at this time, it seems they are leaving it in the hands of the owners to test and determine the issue and safety of the device. To be honest when I reported this I almost expected them to replace it. With this having a lithium battery this close to your face and getting over heating messages, it makes me a bit worried to carry out their testing. :worried: