I will not be buying a Quest 2 and I would suggest that there is a need for a PRO version of the Quest 2. For context reasons, I will reveal that I own a Rift CV1 currently with 3 cameras.
Here are the reasons I am not buying a Quest 2:
- No mechanical IPD slider. I am one of the rare people who get headaches if my IPD is off by only 1 mm. I am a VR veteran and have logged thousands of hours so this isn't a VR noobie issue.
- Cheaper microphone than the Rift CV1
- No FOV increase
- I have heard reports that the tracking is worse than the first Quest tracking. Having excellent tracking on the CV1 makes this very undesirable. Perhaps it will improve with software updates?
- No built in "quality" headphones. The CV1 headphones are amazing! Anything less in quality to that is unacceptable to me.
Now that the rift line is being killed. Oculus should consider making all future headset have a standard and pro edition. It is no more work then when you were making a quest and rift s at the same time.
I would love to see a Quest 2 Pro that has these features:
- mechanical IPD ******* (IMPORTANT!)
- built in "quality" headphones
- a "quality" microphone
- increased FOV
- a proper cable that isn't a link cable, I don't want to deal with increased latency due to compression or potentially decreased resolution
Of course it would cost more, but I am willing to pay it. I am sure many others would pay it too. Especially those who are buying their second headset or those who have many headsets.
Also for people reading, could you please comment if you want a pro version of the quest 2 as well. Please also, I don't really want to respond to people who want to pick apart stuff that I have said, can those people please focus on the quest pro part of my message, that would be appreciated.
Thank you for listening,