New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will a Facebook account be needed with the Oculus Go?

LaNostalgic81LaNostalgic81 Posts: 1
NerveGear
My 11 year old wants a VR headset, but I have been reading that a Facebook account will be required to use the Oculus headsets. I don’t want to link my Facebook account to his headset and he is too young for a Facebook account. What I’m wondering is, does the older Oculus Go version require a Facebook account to use it? Or, will it eventually? Thanks so much. 

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,226 Volunteer Moderator
    Oculus accounts that exist before October 11th will not have to be merged with Facebook accounts. All new users after that date will need Facebook accounts.

So, set up an Oculus account before next week to beat the deadline.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,950 Volunteer Moderator
    Unfortunately new Oculus accounts can no longer be made (as of a week ago), so any Oculus headset you buy will need a Facebook account, including the Go.

The Go is also discontinued, the store won't get any new games after december.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,226 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:
    Unfortunately new Oculus accounts can no longer be made (as of a week ago), so any Oculus headset you buy will need a Facebook account, including the Go.

The Go is also discontinued, the store won't get any new games after december.

You sure about that? I just tried, and it looks like I can still sign up a new Oculus account. I think the cutoff is this coming Monday. I know the blog post said "starting in October," but I don't think they ever said October 1st. I have seen October 12th mentioned somewhere... I'll see if I can find it, it might have been in the developer info regarding the account changes.

i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,950 Volunteer Moderator
    Fair enough.
    Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest