New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Quest - Half Life Alyx Update - Right Eye / Screen Out of Sync

thiccanimethighsthiccanimethighs Posts: 2
NerveGear
Hi All,

First of all i know this game is a pain to get running and working for various reasons for all sorts of hardware. I have already played through Alyx once with quest over link and it was great smooth sailing all the way bar the texture on low change i didn't have to do anything to get it going. 

Came back this week to start a new game and now the right eye on the quest is out of sync, it lags when moving my head and shows stuttering and frame drops. Its like the tracking is off and the screen is out of sync/ 

If i close my right eye and just check out the left screen its perfectly fine in menus and in game just the right screen thats an issue.

Checked all other games in steam VR and occulus store and they all run fine. Even went back to driver i had a month ago when i was playing it with some friends okay and no change. 

I believe either one of the new oculus updates or steam updates has caused this conflict in the sync of the right eye. 

So firstly wanted to see if anyone else has had this and found an obscure fix? Tried all the usual troubleshooting. Oculus software both on latest public and beta. Headset is latest version. Latest updates and drivers for windows / amd.

If not Support what logs would you need from me to have a gander at this? 

Would be nice to get this sorted for the Quest 2 release and play through again with the crispiness. 

Specs -

Windows 10 latest update as of yesterday
i7-9700k @ 5Ghz
16 GB 3200 DDR4
Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro+
Z370 HD3P Mobo
M2 NMVe 1TB drive. Plenty of space left. 

Thanks!

Comments

• AccubitusAccubitus Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited October 17
    Hey there, glad to see someone else with this problem; when I tried Alyx after buying it a month or so ago it worked flawlessly, and now that I'm actually attempting to play it I'm having exactly the same issue, where the right eye is out of sync. Unfortunately I haven't found a solution--however, I noticed that the problem goes away while adjusting the distance between the lenses with the slider. As soon as the lense distance UI goes away, the problem comes back--so obviously not a solution, but may help with troubleshooting.
    Like you, I also tried rolling back drivers, and have come to the conclusion that this is occurring because of some update somewhere.

My specs are
    Ryzen 5 3600
    Radeon 5700XT
    16GB 3200 DDR4
    MSI B450M Pro M2

Honestly, Oculus Link has been a joke for me. Random jankiness all the time, problems like this... Getting a Quest was a mistake, and with future hardware requiring a Facebook account, I will never purchase an Oculus product again.
  • AccubitusAccubitus Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Hey, letting you know I figured it out. I made two changes: moved the game to my SSD, and switched the rendering API to DirectX 11. It seems the latter fixed it; trying it with Vulkan on the SSD still resulted in this issue. But on DX11 I can run on Ultra, buttery smooth. Hope it works for you too.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 991
    Neo
    i made a audio video sync test, you watch it from youtube using virtual desktop vr player. close one eye at a time and see if there is a sync problem. if not then its the game.

https://youtu.be/sUUDcuTtygE
  • alexander.m.cutleralexander.m.cutler Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi - I have EXACTLY the same problem --- only the game is "Elite Dangerous" for me.  The game is the only Steam VR game I own, but it is the reason I bought the Oculus Quest 2 in the first place.

My specs are
    Intel i9-9900 3.1GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super x 2 
    64GB RAM

Works fine for Virtual Desktop - so link would appear OK - so either it is Elite Dangerous, Steam or some Ocolus setup I am unfamiliar with.

Very frustrated!